Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Why you shoudn't buy a tomtom!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Why you shoudn't buy a tomtom!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RDS
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is all appears to be getting a little off track.

My original point regarding credit card companies having equal liability, which was disputed, has somehow descended into a debate about laptop catches, which I really have no interest in continuing.

Facts and advice relating to Consumer and Credit Law are all easily obtainable either online or from local government and the usual consumer advice organisations.

Finally, it should also be said that if anyone is still left disatisified with the goods or services they've received and believe they have a case there are always other options that can be considered ie Small Claims Court.
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis,

Your laptop was almost certainly not of satisfactory quality and it was therefore a breach by Dell of your contract with them- see Section 14 of the Sale of Goods Act 1979 (as later amended)

Since the purchase cost between £100 and £30,000 and you used a credit card for all or part of that purchase the credit card company was also jointly liable to you as well as Dell under the Consumer Credit Act 1974. Don't believe all that bull you hear about it being something to do with insurance - the fact is that the credit card company is as liable to you for a breach of contract as the supplier is and that is the law and nothing to do with "insurance"

You can therfore take legal action against either or both of them for breach of contract. This is now very easy for claims under £5,000, using the small claims procedure, which means that you will not be held liable for the other side's costs even if you loose. The writ can even be paid for and issued on line - see https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/csmco/index.jsp

Personally I would go for the credit card company - but give then a couple of weeks warning before doing so in one last attempt for them to sort it out.
Edit once to resolve hyperlink text - Mike Alder
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
RDS
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've already pointed out the whole issue of joint or equal liability (see earlier posts in this thread) however the trouble is that Dennis has said
DennisN wrote:
Now tell me again to use my credit card. Nowadays, I buy from a local place where I can go in and be very rude and threatening if anything goes wrong. I don't believe the credit card security thing has any validity!!
classy56
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a matter of interest, does this liability only apply to payments made by credit card or does it cover payments made by debit cards?

That link is not working for me peterc10.

To old to die young.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

classy56 wrote:
I will leave the legal stuff for Peter but the Link is now repaired (there was a full stop at the end of the line) - Mike
RDS
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

classy56 wrote:
As a matter of interest, does this liability only apply to payments made by credit card or does it cover payments made by debit cards?

I'm fairly certain that debit cards don't provide the same protection ie joint liability, etc as credit cards.
This is because a debit card is exactly that, it allows money to be deducted direct from your account in the same way as a cheque might.Only with a card it is done much quicker and the funds don't have to be cleared as with a cheque.

With a credit card the company is effectively loaning you or providing credit ie money that isn't yours.
classy56
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike & RDS

To old to die young.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You can therfore take legal action against either or both of them for breach of contract.

Thanks Peter. But correction to read "could have" - it was four years ago. This was in fact the eventual solution, no thanks to the credit card company, which is why I think that advice is not wholly perfect. I shouted "small claims court" long and hard and then accepted DELL's offer to repair the catch free of charge (they had wanted £80 plus carriage, plus five working days, despite my next day on site warranty!!) The credit card company really infuriated me - all they said was that they had been in contact with DELL but were unfortunately unable to help me!!

I can confirm that what RDS says about difference between credit and debit cards is absolutely correct. I'm old enough to have suffered from The Great Carpet Company Going Bust syndrome and got that money back from the credit card company.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
OrangeJuiceMan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, guys,

How about re-titling this thread "the legal implications of buying on a credit card" and then moving it to somewhere more appropriate...?

Back to the plot....

Our friend who bought his TT from Halfords was poorly treated by TT -- he'd probably (in my experience) have been better treated if he'd done what he should have done, which was if Halfords refused to do anything in a timely fashion, to threaten them with the Sale Of Goods Act and a claim through the County Court (Goods not fit for the purpose etc). This is always the CORRECT way to approach the problem.

An aside at this point: my wife works for an international chain which sells TT's. Their policy on returns of TT's is as follows; 0 - 28 Days full refund, 29 - 365 days they report the fault to TT (by phone) and if a remedy (i.e. reset) doesn't cure the problem, TT give them a product return authority and they issue the customer with a replacement unit.

She doesn't work for Halfords, her employer's prices are LOWER than Halfords, AND I get staff discount on top! And NO - ain't gonna tell you who they are so don't ask.

I like TT's - and I don't see any justification for slagging them off because Halfords don't know the meaning of customer service !

By the way - my wife's company also sell Garmins and all the rest... the unit returns on TT's are BY FAR the lowest.

OJM
TTS - ASR - ALG - IQR etc
PGPSW Cameras with Voice Warnings
RDS
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OrangeJuiceMan wrote:

An aside at this point: my wife works for an international chain which sells TT's. Their policy on returns of TT's is as follows; 0 - 28 Days full refund, 29 - 365 days they report the fault to TT (by phone) and if a remedy (i.e. reset) doesn't cure the problem, TT give them a product return authority and they issue the customer with a replacement unit.
She doesn't work for Halfords, her employer's prices are LOWER than Halfords, AND I get staff discount on top! And NO - ain't gonna tell you who they are so don't ask.
OJM

Why the need for a big secret ?

If the company's prices are lower than Halfords and they also have a good customer service policy regarding faults and returns it's surely something that ought to be made known far and wide as it can only lead to increased business.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

classy56 wrote:

NO! It's only Credit Cards. Be careful though, what you think is a credit card may not be! Amex charge cards, Switch, Maestro and VISA electron are NOT credit cards.

Always pay by credit card if the item is over £100. Credit Cards come under the "Consumer Credit Act". What RDS wrote is exactly right, the retailer and the card issuer are jointly responsible for sorting out any problems.

I have sucessfully set my card issuer onto a number of merchants who have tried to give me the run around and they don't like it up 'em, that's for real. Sometimes you get results within days, others it takes the full 6 weeks but it was always settled in my favour with an apology included.

Retailers will often try to bluff you quoting "company policy" or "terms and conditions", don't let them confuse you - any rights they offer you are in addition to your statutory rights. Ask them staight up "It appears that you are you trying to deny me my statutory rights under the Sale of Goods Act. Trading Standards have told me that you are breaking the law by doing this. I demand that you honour your obligations under the Sale of Goods Act". That will normally get them rattled enough that they just settle the matter to keep the peace.

If they still won't settle then contact your bank and say you want to "Dispute a transaction". The bank will insist that you try and resolve it with the retailer. Tell them the whole story and then they will take up the case on you behalf.
mrg2003
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:34 pm    Post subject: Backups !! Reply with quote

Werewolf wrote:
Quote:
Why weren't you dealing with the people who sold you the GPS in the first place ?

No disrespect to Halfords, but it would have taken even longer! The words organ grinder and monkey spring to mind.

Halfords would have just been in the middle and would have ended up being messengers.

I would have eventually got fed up of waiting and contacted tomtom support direct anyway.

Still, they have eventually promised me a new unit, cradle and SD map and no adaquate compensation.

Get a backup!!. If it's so important to to get a backup. I have a TTGO and TT on my mobile phone, if God forbid the one should go wrong, I can use my mobile, until I get a replacement.
unknownjazzer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does PayPal provide the same kind of protection as credit cards?

Also, I've been using tomtoms software for a couple of years now, ttn5 mobile and ttn6 mobile. I've had no problem with any part of tomtoms services. The only issue I have is the bluetooth drop out issue the N73s seems to have.
jondaddy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looked on this thread couldn't find many reasons why not to buy one - so Ive brought one !!

http://www.handtec.co.uk/product.php?xProd=498&xSec=1&jssCart=d491faab6477ea116b4f77e7c0b471cf

found this - seems to be the best deal for Tom Tom Go with the traffic receiver.
pkerr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Werewolf wrote:
...I suggested they stick the unit where there ain't no signal!...

That would be a bit hard to do since there are so many satellites out there to send the signal... Wink

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: