Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Specs Cameras
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Specs Cameras

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pallyally
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:51 am    Post subject: Specs Cameras Reply with quote

I downloaded the speed zone cameras and have set them up accordingly. I followed advice from this forum about doubling the set distance for mobile/pmobile eg. mobile 20 to 400 yards etc; but what should I set the specs at? As the mobile or just as the gatso ones? I have set say gatso 30 @ 300 yds.

Thanks Alan
BaggieBoy
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I set the distance to 100 Yards regardless of the speed, since it isn't the first camera that you have to worry about, it's the ones that follow.
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I set them at the same distance as gatsos as I want to be at or below the limit when I pass the first camera rather than doing mental maths trying to work out how slowly I need to go between them to compensate for any overspeed when passing the first one.
mpwilson99
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BaggieBoy wrote:
Personally I set the distance to 100 Yards regardless of the speed, since it isn't the first camera that you have to worry about, it's the ones that follow.

Umm a bit dodgy in my opinion.

If you was going 70mph on a motorway and a TSR come up as say 40mph, and you hit the first specs camera still doing 70mph as the road was clear and you hadnt had the warning soon enough,
then its not the second camera you need to worry about, its your average speed between the two!

Personally, for me all specs are given same distance warning as gatsos.

SPECS 20 200
SPECS 30 300
SPECS 40 400
SPECS 50 500
SPECS 60 600
SPECS 70 800

MPW
BaggieBoy
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hasn't happened yet, when I get the warning I ease off and by the time I pass the first camera I'm doing close to the new limit. Sometimes I reset my car computer and switch to average speed mode when I pass the first camera, just to be on the safe side.
BaggieBoy
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpwilson99 wrote:

Personally, for me all specs are given same distance warning as gatsos.

SPECS 20 200
SPECS 30 300
SPECS 40 400
SPECS 50 500
SPECS 60 600
SPECS 70 800

But surely the important detail is the differential in speed, so you'd really want a bigger warning going from say a 70 to a 40 then from a 70 to a 60. So it seems to me the above scheme is somewhat the reverse of what is needed.
mpwilson99
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a fairly good point, I can see the logic in that and I might even review my warning distances. ~ never thought of that before Idea

However, I guess we can all fall into the speed camera trap just after a speed reduction change with a standard gatso/mobile along any old road.

Lets say you was going down the A27 driving east just going into Worthing, your going 70mph on the dual carriage way, you see a 40mph new speed board coming up, and just the other side of that is the 40mph gatso. Going on my settings ( and perhaps others ) your only going to get 400yds warning, even though your going 70mph towards it kinda, just like the specs i guess.

The only thing is, is that you have to see the new speed board first and ensure your speed is fully adjusted when you pass it.
interesting?

Cheers

MPW
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you making the assumption that all SPECS camera zones begin just inside a new speed limit (e.g. Temporary roadworks)? Where there is no change of speed limit, there is no differential in speed immediately prior to the SPECS zone.

Remember that the Speed Camera database is only there to tell you where cameras are situated. If you aren't aware enough to notice speed limit signs without an audible warning, then you shouldn't really be on the road!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: