Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - A201 memory problem
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

A201 memory problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madtam
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:29 am    Post subject: A201 memory problem Reply with quote

I use the PDA mostly for the GPS facility but do have a few calendar items and a couple of notes on it. I have tried it as an MP3 player and also as a picture viewer but don't currently have either music or picture files on it (as far as I know). However I am now getting regular "critical memory" messages assuring me that the device has run out of storage memory and I nust free up some space.

The trouble is I don't know what is using up storage memory. A check for large files over 64kb throws up Miomap and a couple of map files (British Isles and something else). I have deleted a couple of old notes files I no longer need but can't see what else I can get rid of as I don't know of anything else really that I have saved. I am guessing that there may be some temporary files that haven't been deleted by the system but don't know how to find them. Going through file explorer I just can't see what files are disposeable. Anyone any thoughts on where to go with this?
madtam
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am still getting the memory warnings and still don't know what I can delete.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to Start/ Settings System Tab Select the Memory icon and have a look at the free memory allocation is it running low?
While in this Memory option have a look at Running Programs tab, if there are a lot still running use the Stop ALL to shut them down then see if the free memory has improved.
One thing I have found in the past that can consume vast amounts of memory is inadvertantly pressing the record button (dictaphone), this can cause memory to disapear at an alarming rate if pressed. - Mike
madtam
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Free memory is just about gone as it indicates 23mb allocated and 22.8mb used.
I have stopped all programs but this has no effect.
I have wondered if there are some files inadvertantly stored, such as an audio file from the dictaphone. However I don't know how to find them or at least to identify them from the full listing in pocket explorer. There are only 5 files over the 64kb that comes up in the search and these all appear to be associated with Miomap so I don't really want to start deleting them.
The only thing I have thought of is that I have stored a reasonable number of locations as favourites in Miomap and I wonder if they are taking up excessive memory. Although why a simple coordinate would require much memory I have no idea.
Any other thoughts?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the files that are large in memory? can you list them - you should have more memory free than that! - I am surprised the device even boots correctly - Mike
madtam
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The large files are Miomap_english_20 which is a cab file?
This is the big one at 9.3Mb but I use miomap most days so need this.
Other files are an application which shows as Autorun with an icon I don't recognise. As it is only 181kb it's not a major problem.
There is also a file British Isles Map which is 233kb and I probably need and then a file with a huge title which I have deleted once but it has come back again and I am pretty sure is associated with miomap. It is only 132kb and is called BCF90C4B7EAFDA858204.......etc, etc.
The memory allocation is actually strange to me as you have 24Mb for storage and 53.5 available for programs. On my previous PDA you could shift the total available memory to give more storage and less program or vice versa. This is now fixed on here and I have over 24Mb of available memory that is allocated to programs that I am not using.
Actual storage memory is 23.94Mb in total with 23.91 in use giving free memory of 0.02Mb (I hope there is some rounding up somewhere).
I did consider that in the early days some of the GPS favourites were saved with a verbal instruction and I am trying to work out how to get rid of this as it's a nice gimmick but I am quite happy selecting on the screen and maybe I could free up a bit of memory this way.
Any further help would be appreciated.
madtam
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well after deleting some calendar entries and a few of the GPS favourites without any appreciable effect on memory I finally spent an hour or two ploughing through the individual files and folders. I found somewhere amongst windows profiles some sub folders that were apparently ie temp files. A quick check seemed to suggest that they were not required for anything and so I deleted them and suddenly I have over 8mb of free storage space again.
OK its not fully sorted the problem but it has done away with the immediate issue.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: