Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navteq maps format
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navteq maps format

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> NAVTEQ Digital Map Data
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BMW330
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:14 pm    Post subject: Navteq maps format Reply with quote

Anyone know if the Navteq database format used on the OEM CDs and DVD's has been published or cracked anywhere?

PS: I'm not referring to the POI data - have that sorted already.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is flouting the forum rules, we do not support or allow illegal hacking of software, adding POI's to an inbuilt system is encouraged. Cracking OEM disks is not - please refrain from this sort of request - Mike
BMW330
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
This is flouting the forum rules, we do not support or allow illegal hacking of software, adding POI's to an inbuilt system is encouraged. Cracking OEM disks is not - please refrain from this sort of request - Mike

How would a request for information be "illegal"? If piracy is the concern, maybe the moderators efforts would be better directed chasing down folks that are requesting, trading and selling pirated media on the various forums of this website...
BMW330
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:

For anyone else that's interested, I've found that the database specification is published royalty-free on Navteq's website:
http://www.navteq.com/sdalformat/formatspec.html

PS: Now might be a good time for a retraction, Mr Moderator...
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah but.....

because the format is royalty-free; the use of any programs to access data that is supplied by (e.g.) TomTom certainly is illegal. Don't forget - the map data used by (e.g.) TomTom is provided by Navteq but TT will have paid for it and may choose to add (or remove) some data in the making of their product. When you purchase one of TT's products you are agreeing not to reverse engineer any part of the data. This will certainly apply to anybody elses terms and conditions that you agree to when you open the s/w package.

If you would like to approach Navteq for a free copy of their data for reverse engineering - please feel free - and do let us know how you get on.
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please feel free to substitute any supplier of products using Navteq mapping in my above reply - sorry for any confusion caused! The basic principle is the same. BTW - did you read the T&C's for the agreement you will have made to get the format specs from the site you quote? As I read them it positively encourages the users of Navteq mapping products to sue anyone who infringes any copyrights.
BMW330
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philpugh wrote:
Ah but.....

because the format is royalty-free; the use of any programs to access data that is supplied by (e.g.) TomTom certainly is illegal. Don't forget - the map data used by (e.g.) TomTom is provided by Navteq but TT will have paid for it and may choose to add (or remove) some data in the making of their product. When you purchase one of TT's products you are agreeing not to reverse engineer any part of the data. This will certainly apply to anybody elses terms and conditions that you agree to when you open the s/w package.

If you would like to approach Navteq for a free copy of their data for reverse engineering - please feel free - and do let us know how you get on.

I have no desire to copy, export or otherwise use their (copyrighted) data. I was wanting to know more for the purposes of *ADDING* information to their DVD. Now, isn't that what this site is all about?
pallance
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 12:57 pm    Post subject: NAVTECH CD's Reply with quote

I have bought Navtechs Benelux and France CD,s for my Peugeot 406 navigation system. Problem is if I have the cd for france in the drive I cannot plot a destination in Holland. I have looked at the file structure on the CD's and was wondering if there was any way I could combine them into one Cd so I can plan a through route from Calais to Maastrict in Holland?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> NAVTEQ Digital Map Data All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: