Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Some very basic help required
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Some very basic help required
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
martike
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:39 pm    Post subject: Some very basic help required Reply with quote

I have no experience with Tom Tom so I wasn’t able to help my friend very much when she found that she had problems.

Maybe someone can answer some very basic questions.

She has a Tom Tom ONE with an SD Card (I think it’s 128Mb) with BeNeLux pre-loaded. She also has all the maps of Western Europe on a DVD, which she can’t read (!) but that’s her PC hardware causing that problem.

Assuming I can fix that, can anyone tell me how to get the maps off this DVD and into the ONE unit ? Is there a utility on the DVD to handle this, or is it a straight copy/paste operation ?

How much space is available for this sort of copy ? The ONE unit allows a whole range of maps to be present, with the option to select any one, but the application must take up most of the space on the card. To get Germany, for example, onto her SD card, will she need to first delete BeNeLux ? 128 Mb doesn’t seem to be very much.

What size SD card would be necessary to store (for example) BeNeLux, Germany, and France ?

How would she upgrade from her existing SD card to a larger one ? Backup from the old one and restore to the new ?

Thanks.
tonygold
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

on tomtom.com there is a list showing the memory needed for each map. i have gb + western europe plus maps on a 2gb card. you will need an activation code to get the maps up and running on your tomtom. this should be provided on a card with the map software.
TonyHoyle
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Western and central europe is 1.6gb so you'll need at least a 2gb sd card to fit all that on. 128mb is only good for a small default setup.
martike
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, both.

I can bypass the DVD reading problem by lending her my external drive, but will the installation then put all the Western Europe maps on her hard drive, or will she still need to be able to read the DVD each time she wants to load or replace maps on her SD card (a bigger one !) ?
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martike wrote:
... but will the installation then put all the Western Europe maps on her hard drive, ...
The Maps can be installed to the Hard Drive and then copied to the Device as and when required.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
martike
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, everyone, for the help.

I now need to use my external DVD drive to install the Western Europe maps on her PC, and she needs to get a bigger SD card to make room for them on the ONE unit.

Tonygold, I can't find the list of map sizes you mentioned. Can you give me the URL ?
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martike wrote:
Tonygold, I can't find the list of map sizes you mentioned. Can you give me the URL ?
Probably mean THIS. Note that the Euro Maps are Plus Maps.

martike
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Richard.
martike
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldboy wrote:
The Maps can be installed to the Hard Drive and then copied to the Device as and when required.

I've now installed the HOME application, but I can't see how to get the maps off the DVD and onto a local drive.

The application is clearly set up for this becasue there are two columns, one to show TomTom files on "My Computer" and one to show them on "TomTom CD" (DVD in this case). Both seem to be sources for possible transfer to the TomTom unit.

But how can I cut out the DVD completely and put the maps on a local drive ? I can't find anything about this on the TomTom site (where the support seems to be quite basic) or in the documentation supplied with the HOME application.

I presume it's not seraching the whole of the local system, but looking only in a specific folder. But which one ?
46jimbo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, I don't believe you need to mess around with the HOME software.

Is this map DVD an official one from TomTom? If so, the installation program should autoboot when you put the disk in the drive. It should then give you the option of installing to the TomTom or to your hard drive.

If the DVD just contains map folders, you should be able to just drag and drop them, either directly to the TomTom or to a new folder on the computer hard drive.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martike wrote:
But how can I cut out the DVD completely and put the maps on a local drive ?
You can't cut out the DVD because that is where the Source Files are.

Can you Explore the DVD and see which Folders and Files are on it.

Presumably there will be Folders for each of the Maps. Or they could just be CAB Files.

I don't have the DVD so can't look myself.

martike
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The officially supplied and paid for TomTom DVD for maps of Western Europe contains both the HOME application, and the source files for all the maps.

I've installed HOME and it has four columns :
1. what's on your local hard drive,
2. what's on the TomTom DVD,
3. what's on both of them (!?!),
4. what's on the TomTom device.

You can select and shift things around. What I can't figure out is how to get things from column 2 to column 1. I want to do that because the PC I'm installing this on doesn't have a DVD reader, so I want to use an external drive once only to put everything on the local hard drive, then the DVD can be stored away somewhere and forgotten.

OldBoy's post earlier on this thread suggested that this was possible, but now it appears that in fact I can't do this. I can certainly pick up the maps folder and drop it onto the local hard drive with Windows Explorer, but once they're there, HOME doesn't see them (or isn't looking in the right place), so that's no good either.

However, the suggestion now is that I can do the same with the device, just drop the maps in there using Windows Explorer and bypass HOME altogether. This means HOME isn't necessary at all, and that "installation" of maps on the device is really just a "copy" of the appropriate files. I'll try it. If it works, then HOME seems to be totally unnecessary for map management and is only useful for software updates and backup/restore.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martike wrote:
OldBoy's post earlier on this thread suggested that this was possible, but now it appears that in fact I can't do this. I can certainly pick up the maps folder and drop it onto the local hard drive with Windows Explorer, but once they're there, HOME doesn't see them (or isn't looking in the right place), so that's no good either.
What Format does the Map Files take? Are they CAB, and TOC, Files?

If you copy the Map Files to the Hard Drive, you may need to put them in the Folder designated as Extra Content under HOME Preferences.

martike wrote:
However, the suggestion now is that I can do the same with the device, just drop the maps in there using Windows Explorer and bypass HOME altogether. This means HOME isn't necessary at all, and that "installation" of maps on the device is really just a "copy" of the appropriate files. I'll try it. If it works, then HOME seems to be totally unnecessary for map management and is only useful for software updates and backup/restore.
I, personally, never use HOME to Backup, preferring to do it 'manually'.

Whether you can just Copy the Files depends on the format of the Files on the DVD. If they are not compressed, then indeed it might just be a case of Copying.

It is true that HOME is not necessary to Install a Software Upgrade. In fact some can't even get it to work for them. That's why I created a Zip File to Download.

martike
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. I'll try your suggestions and get back to you, but it may take a few days. It isn't my PC or my TomTom, but I'm trying to help out a friend.
46jimbo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if you could simply copy the entire dvd onto the hard drive and run it from there.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: