Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tomtom V6 and HX4700+WM5
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tomtom V6 and HX4700+WM5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
markblades
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:38 pm    Post subject: Tomtom V6 and HX4700+WM5 Reply with quote

Hi:

Sorry if this has been addressed elsewhere in the forums but...

Does anybody know if Navigator V6 will run well on an HX4700 IPAQ WITH WM 5 and the mobile 5 ROM patch applied. (ie ROM Revision 2.01.05; windows CE 5.1)?

I know people have a very varied experience with the WM5 upgrade but my machine runs really well with Navigator 5.21 under WM5.1. I have read in the forums that the HX4700 with windows mobile 2003 runs version 6 very well (comparable to 5.21?), but knowing HP and TomTom something has probably been broken in the upgrade.

any help or advice would be much appreciated

regards
M B
chipfork
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm running Navigator 6 on an HX4700 IPAQ WITH WM 5 and the mobile 5 ROM patch applied. It works fine though I have had the PDA freeze mid route on 2 occasions. However for the other 20 or so journeys (many over 2 hours) it's been absolutely fine - just a glitch I hope. Rolling Eyes
Xman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My ipaq has all the updates and I use it only for navigation with a holux 236 gps.

It works well in ladnscape mode. Note that TT6 will adopt the WM5 screen setting. Do not report any crashes.
markblades
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that. Looks like I'll be sending some more cash TomToms way.

Laughing

MCB
JDavid
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before you buy TTN6 I advise you to weigh up what you want it for. OMHO TTN6 is not worth the money and does not have significant advantages over TTN5 but has some annoying changes!
Xman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The application itself is very similar to TT5. The more important question really is - do you need new/updated/latest maps?
markblades
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI:

I hear what you are saying!.

Where I live (canterbury), the maps are bearable however, I drive to France regularly and in general the tomtom maps are a lifesaver (anybody who has regularly braved the Paris peripherique will attest) I find there are still quite a few not open or now closed roads in france.

I really only want the tomtom upgrade for the upgraded maps. I emailed TT in September, before my last trip to France, and they would only confirm that no upgrades would be available in the foreseeable future. I remember paying over a hundred quid for the original TT5 and maps of europe upgrade plus a subsequent ill advised map ugrade ordered from the TT website for the UK only.

I think 80 quid is a reasonable outlay for the updated maps of UK and the rest of europe. I only hope that TT6 runs as reliably and trouble free as TT5.21 now does. (I remember all too well the bluetooth hangs and crashes with the original tt5 software and the HP4700).

I have been running GPS software for a number of years (starting with NAVman on the Palm platform which sort of worked, and more recently with Alturion 6 for PPC which was absolutely awful). I hate to say this, given tomtom's crap record of customer service, but their software is the only software I have used that I would trust long term. I have used the 5.21 software all over europe for extended periods and I cannot fault it for reliability and ease of use (map errors are another thing, but you learn to live with those Laughing).

thanks again for the advice

Mark Laughing

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: