Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom to track phones for real-time traffic info
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom to track phones for real-time traffic info

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
captaincaveman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:17 pm    Post subject: TomTom to track phones for real-time traffic info Reply with quote

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/10/27/tomtom_cellular_traffic_tech/

Apologies if this has been posted before!
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone else finding this ironic, given how little love TomTom show for the TomTom Mobile version?

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Eldar
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
Anyone else finding this ironic, given how little love TomTom show for the TomTom Mobile version?

I'm not quite sure that it would work as expected for a number of reasons, but they are a clever lot, so let's wait and see.
rodderstrotter
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a similar idea a few months back, all tomtom traffic users could ping there gps position back to tomtom giving some traffic info. Thought about it & concluded there weren’t enough traffic subscribers to make this work efficiently.
This sounds a much better idea. The accuracy will depend on how well the data is processed, it'd be much better if all mobile networks were involved. It would be good if all roads could be covered.
As much as I like tomtom traffic, the current accuracy of it is poor & hopefully this will make the difference.
The problems I can see is there are already complaints saying that sat nav causes increased traffic in quite rural locations, this may well increase the problem. If this became popular, the majority of drivers would take the alterative routes, blocking them, giving the system no advantage.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What would happen when all the Rolling Stones fans were queueing along the roadside for a concert? Their phones would show a heck of a traffic jam, n'est pas? :D
Eldar
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
What would happen when all the Rolling Stones fans were queueing along the roadside for a concert? Their phones would show a heck of a traffic jam, n'est pas? :D

As far as I understand the basis for this technology is the process of handover when a mobile phone is being passed from one basestation to another and then calculation of all possible routes this particular mobile phone could have achieved this transition. Obviously the car users are limited to using the roads, so the number of the possible routes is very limited and thus the pedestrian users could be "separated" from the motorists.

In your example there will a number of mobiles getting through this particular stretch of the road with no delays, so a large group of stationary mobiles will not be taken into account.

This model can work in the coutryside, but the data processing and differentiating between the different types of mobile users in the cities would be a major problem and so will be building the "user" models for different cities. Take Amsterdam for instance - how can you tell the difference between a cyclist and car?
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eldar wrote:
As far as I understand the basis for this technology is the process of handover when a mobile phone is being passed from one basestation to another and then calculation of all possible routes this particular mobile phone could have achieved this transition.

I got the impression that it uses GSM too, but you have to wonder...

If the GPS knows exactly which road it's on and exactly how fast you have travelled down that road, why would it bother with all this mobile phone jiggery pokery to make such a rough guess of your location/speed/direction/which road you are on? Confused
Eldar
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
Eldar wrote:
As far as I understand the basis for this technology is the process of handover when a mobile phone is being passed from one basestation to another and then calculation of all possible routes this particular mobile phone could have achieved this transition.

I got the impression that it uses GSM too, but you have to wonder...

You mean GPS, surely?

Skippy wrote:

If the GPS knows exactly which road it's on and exactly how fast you have travelled down that road, why would it bother with all this mobile phone jiggery pokery to make such a rough guess of your location/speed/direction/which road you are on? Confused

Correct, but they are using all GSM traffic, not just those with GPS receivers. You are not sending any GPS data to the server, otherwise they would have to sign people up for this, now they are just using the standard data/information stream which are already a part of the GSM network.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so what would happen when all the Rolling Stones fans were going home from the concert on their pushbikes? Their phones would show a heck of a traffic jam, n'est pas?
If this phone location is so accurate and legally available, why can't the police actually use it to catch the baddies - as far as I know, the best they've managed so far is to place a phone within x metres radius of a mast - i.e. your alibi is no good my lad because your mobile phone was within 100 yards of mast X which is NOT within 100 yards of your alibi location, therefore you DID have opportunity to be a baddie.
Eldar
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
OK, so what would happen when all the Rolling Stones fans were going home from the concert on their pushbikes? Their phones would show a heck of a traffic jam, n'est pas?

If they actually block the road and nobody else can get through - then yes., otherwise this is example is not different from your previous one, comprenez-vous ?

DennisN wrote:

If this phone location is so accurate and legally available, why can't the police actually use it to catch the baddies - as far as I know, the best they've managed so far is to place a phone within x metres radius of a mast

errr..... you lost me there. What is this police you are talking about (I haven't seen one in my area, only some poor sods dressed up like salvation army and by the look of them the only thing they can catch is the flu) ?

This technology does not give you the exact position of a mobile, just the speed of movement.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So for an even better wind-up, lets all beg TT to use the system to track everything and get their maps up to date.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eldar wrote:
they are using all GSM traffic, not just those with GPS receivers.

Ahh, now it makes sense. :D I thought it was just people who had TomTom devices providing the data. Now I see why they are tracking phones!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: