Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - WM5 + TomTom 5 + (Multiple) Bluetooth GPS
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

WM5 + TomTom 5 + (Multiple) Bluetooth GPS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
astyy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:44 pm    Post subject: WM5 + TomTom 5 + (Multiple) Bluetooth GPS Reply with quote

Guys

I'm not having a good experience with TomTom 5 (TTN 5.21 GPS 1.20 GB Map V562) on an XDA Mini S with Bluetooth GPS (several).

Specifically I can pair with a BT GPS, create an Outgoing port (COM6 or 7) on MINI S and then select it from within TomTom as 'Other BT GPS' and 'Select Port' no problem. It will then work fine...for a while!

What happens is that when I'm using it on the road it will freeze on the map screen (only TomTom is hung not the other app's). I reboot the XDA, start TomTom, first it will say 'No GPS Device' then it will find the BT GPS and say e.g. 'GPS Signal lost 4 seconds ago', then hang. When it does this it is reproducible everytime I restart the PDA/TomTom. I have not found a firm remedy, sometimes if I delete the recent files created in the map folder on the SD this fixes it, if I remove/add the device in BT manager this fixes it etc. A lot of the time the XDA will be paired with my BT Headset also - could this be the issue?

The other thing frustrating me I think is more WM5 related. As a (small!) part of my daytime job I get to play with different BT GPS (e.g. Holux 236, Carcomm BT33, Globalsat 359). On the MINI S I don't appear to be able to successfuly delete a previous BT pairing and Outgoing port to test a different GPS - they appear to be deleted and I can pair the new GPS but when I try to create the Outgoing port it says that the port is already in use, a reload rather than reset is my current remedy! I am thinking that something remains in the registry causing this.

Has anybody else experienced similar to the above or have any advice on 'stabilising' this setup.

Thanks.
astyy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just another point..

when the device is hanging, if I switch off the BT GPS so that it really is not found then TomTom runs fine - but without a GPS which isn't very useful Sad
astyy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is now sorted, the XDA MINI S, TomTom 5 and Bluetooth GPS's do work togethor!!!

It turns out that I had a corrupted map on my SD card, whenever I tried to use the SatNav in certain areas it would hang when the BT GPS fixed and it was trying to read & display the location. The frustrating thing was that it was always fine at home, where obviously the map data was ok. The way I discovered this is that I had to drive the same route for work several days running and each day it hung at exactly the same place and then wouldn't work until I returned within that boundary! I trid a simulation of the route and exaclty the same thing, obviously nothing to do with the GPS but the map card.

I had tried several times reinstalling the whole XDA and TomTom but not re-writing the SD - you live and learn I guess.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: