Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Ash10's camera manager??
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Ash10's camera manager??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
T30GUE
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:20 pm    Post subject: Ash10's camera manager?? Reply with quote

Hello all, done quite a bit of reading on here today and decided that I need to load camera POI's onto my Nuvi 300. Several posts have suggested that Ash10's is the one that I need, I have located the sticky from ash but the link to the thread seems to be missing or faulty?

Is anyone else having this trouble?

Thanks,
Rolling Eyes
Dilcymro
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have located the sticky from ash but the link to the thread seems to be missing or faulty?

Yes, tried it a few times yesterday and today, couldnt get into it at all, just hung there. More like superglued than a sticky.

Dil..

swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although Ash's utility does provide a lot of flexibility in the settings, the latest versions of POI Loader and the latest firmwares for the Nuvis can provide a very good approximation of Ash's tool without any work.

Simply download the Garmin Zoned speed camera file, unzip all the files to your POI directory and then use POI Loader in Express mode (make sure it's also in Feet and MPH) - this will give you an icon on screen as you approach each camera, it'll tell you the speed (and the icon will include the speed limit, something you don't get with Ash's utility) and you will get an overspeed warning too.

Personally, apart from wanting to change some of the distance warnings (which you can still do with POI Loader) it seems the need for Ash's utility (ON A NUVI) is limited.

This doesn't apply to some other models of Garmin units, which don't have the same level of speed camera support built into the unit itself.
missing_user

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what it looks like with the 'zonned' database.
Ash10
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swing wrote:
Simply download the Garmin Zoned speed camera file, unzip all the files to your POI directory and then use POI Loader in Express mode (make sure it's also in Feet and MPH) - this will give you an icon on screen as you approach each camera, it'll tell you the speed (and the icon will include the speed limit, something you don't get with Ash's utility) and you will get an overspeed warning too.

Personally, apart from wanting to change some of the distance warnings (which you can still do with POI Loader) it seems the need for Ash's utility (ON A NUVI) is limited.

Except that Camera Manager will automatically check for updates, download them when they become available, unzip and tweak the files, and then put them in the POI directory ready for uploading ;)
BAVC10
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swing

If I switch to the zoned speed camera file are the icons still displayed even if the speed limit is not reached? I know the icons on the i3 used to disappear, hence the need for Ash's utility.
missing_user

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Technically, the icons are always there even when stationary, just as the Garmin POI icons are there ie Hospitals, Service Stations and car parks!
The only criteria is the zoom level when they appear!

The only difference with Speed Cameras is the Proximity and speed alerts have been added!
You could add proximity alerts to any POI ie Hospitals, Service Stations and car parks.

They are all viewable in MapSource on the PC.
rich_jtg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dilcymro wrote:
Quote:
I have located the sticky from ash but the link to the thread seems to be missing or faulty?

Yes, tried it a few times yesterday and today, couldnt get into it at all, just hung there. More like superglued than a sticky.
Dil..

I managed to get in a couple days ago, but found that it was hard work to browse as someone has set their avatar to show random pictures at a massive size.

All the pages that had posts from that member were all messed up, and wouldn't open without a several minute wait. Rolling Eyes
rich_jtg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to ask...

Whilst the main thread is unavailable, can anyone give me a few pointers in getting Ash10's utility to work?

I'm using a Garmin Nuvi300.

I've installed the Camera Manager, and POI loader.

The Camera Manager is telling me I have updates ready to install... but I haven't got a clue where to find them to upload them.

The POI directory box on the Camera Manager is blank, and you can't appear to specify where it should point.

Where/how do you get the updates to the unit?
Ash10
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rich_jtg wrote:
The Camera Manager is telling me I have updates ready to install... but I haven't got a clue where to find them to upload them.

The POI directory box on the Camera Manager is blank, and you can't appear to specify where it should point.

Camera Manager puts the files in whatever directory POI Loader used last - if you've never used POI Loader before, this will default to C:\

Create a new directory, say C:\POI, and move the generated files (there'll be 5x BMP files, 5x GPX files, and the database ZIP file ) into the new directory.

Run POI Loader, and point it to your new directory - make sure that you use Express mode, and that the units are set to feet/MPH.

In future, Camera Manager will automatically download to the new directory - and all you'll need to do is to connect your Garmin and follow the prompts from POI Loader ;)
rich_jtg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Ash10 - much appreciated.

I'm still waiting for page 5 to load on the main thread - it's hard going! Sad

Will have a go now at getting it all uploaded - great app BTW, thought about making it donationware? Wink
T30GUE
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies if I sound like a complete numpty, but I have just downloaded the 'Garmin zoned speed camera' file, extracted it and uploaded it using the POI loader.

Does this mean that my Nuvi unit will now display all fixed cameras? (that are recorded in the database)

Will it still display even if I am travelling under the speed limit?

When does it 'Bong'? (Is it only if you are over the limit??)

Is there anything else I should download to the unit?

Many thanks,

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: