Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT One V2 Automatic Switching to Day/Night Colours
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT One V2 Automatic Switching to Day/Night Colours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
soweezy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Suntime conflicting with menu options? Reply with quote

Osmosis wrote:
Downloaded Suntime a couple of nights ago and am wondering if the automatic check every minute causes the TomTom One (new edition, app v6.5) to lose touch of where you are in the menus. For example, I'm usually finding that as I'm typing in text for a POI or waypoint, it removes the whole line and I have to start again, or it thinks I've hit a different button on the screen. This is intermittent, which makes me think it could be Suntime, as I used the TT for two days when I first got it without a glitch.
Anyone else noticed this? I might have to remove Suntime and see if I have any problems for a while, then load it back on again.

having the same problem, sometimes it will "double click" when I press a menu icon and flip back to map view
didn't notice it before installing Suntime
can't find a bug report link on Web Bazar Confused

Garmin Zumo 390LM
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would have thought that the application would be able to detect if it is in the correct mode before it attempts to change TomTom into the new mode?

Then at least you'd only get the problem when it changes between night/day.
soweezy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just emailed him/them, will see what they say...

Garmin Zumo 390LM
timber
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Suntime conflicting with menu options? Reply with quote

Osmosis wrote:
Hi,
For example, I'm usually finding that as I'm typing in text for a POI or waypoint, it removes the whole line and I have to start again, or it thinks I've hit a different button on the screen. This is intermittent, which makes me think it could be Suntime, as I used the TT for two days when I first got it without a glitch.
Anyone else noticed this? I might have to remove Suntime and see if I have any problems for a while, then load it back on again.

Your 100% correct well spotted Thumbs Up , just tried it suntime running in daylight mode putting in half the address in navigation then left it to see what happened line cleared. Removed suntime put exactly the same detail in and 15 min's later its exactly the same line has not cleared.

This explains a lot I use my gps at all hours during the night and transpose address data from a computer or a pager into the unit so I'm going from one screen to another and previously input material was disappearing I thought it was me!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

My solution until a fix is available is, removed suntime in its present configuration its more trouble than its worth, modified the main menu to have the night/day screen selection as one of my main function's so I'll just select it manually.
46jimbo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roussillat, the author of the 'Suntime' program, is away from home and will examine your problem as soon as he gets back.

He hangs out on yournav.com

For some reason, he doesn't post on this forum.
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a few modifications this programme could be very useful. Although it is something TomTom should have implemented already! You don't need light sensors, with your position and time information you can easily work out if it's going to be dark or not!

Assuming that bug can't be worked around there are still ways to make it work.

The checks don't need to be every minute, the time that the display will change most often is when the unit is switched on, so if it could check the current status and update it when a GPS signal is gained, then again every 15 minutes or so, it would be fine. 15 minutes is more than enough, darkness doesn't just appear suddenly.
roussillat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all,

Here is suntime's author speaking...

I have reproduced the problem and it is certainly a Tomtom SDK bug, I will report it to Tomtom.

Anyway, I will release in a few days a new version that will check time and position every 15 minutes, to avoid too much interactions with the keyboard.
roussillat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another solution to this problem would be that suntime memorizes which action it made, at last, (set day colors or night colors) that would help it not to recall every minute (ou 15 minutes) the SDK function that change colors and reset keyboard entry. The function would be called only twice a day, at sunset and sunrise (or twilight, if chosen).

The major consequence of this would be that, if you manually come back to day colors during the period where you should be in night colors, suntime won't set back night colors at next control as it currently does. I have no function in the SDK to get the current color state, so if you change colors manually, suntime can't be aware of it.

What do you think of this last idea ?
Shinymera
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Roussillat,

Firstly can I thank you for creating the 'suntime' app.

I like your second Idea. Although every 15min might be workable, if you make lots of journeys in a day then it could still be annoying.

If TomTom fix the SDK bug then please return it to its original operation, but until then I would prefer the 'twice a day' option.
I understand what you are saying about the problem of changing colours manually, but the whole point of this app is because we don't want to do it manually Smile

As long as we are aware of the manual change issue - I think this idea is very workable.

Thanks again.
wibbly
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roussillat wrote:

What do you think of this last idea ?

Yes, I think it should work this way anyway! I alos has the advantage that you can override suntime without too much trouble if you need to.

But I think you must be clear what happens if the TomTom is switched off over the swiching period. Will the suntime function also be called to enforce the correct state when the TomTom its switched on? It should do this.

Eg: Use the TomTom in the day (day display), switch off, then next use it at night. The suntime function needs to be called 'twice a day', but also once at switch-on or the change to night display will be missed becuase the TomTom was switched off?

Also, about how much space does Suntime use on the flash card and RAM in the TomTom, please?
roussillat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wibbly wrote:
But I think you must be clear what happens if the TomTom is switched off over the swiching period. Will the suntime function also be called to enforce the correct state when the TomTom its switched on? It should do this.
Also, about how much space does Suntime use on the flash card and RAM in the TomTom, please?

The problem with stop/start on Tomtom is that a running application is not aware of it, until you modify some system files. And I don't want my apps to be so intrusive that they need system files mods.

So, regarding this, in fact, I think the best and simpliest solution is to add a configuration parameter that will defines the period for the time/coordinates checkings.

Guys who make frequent uses of the keyboard will just have to set this period to a huge value, like 15 minutes. Guys who are not worried by this keyboard problem will let the default value, eg. 1 minute.
wibbly
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A configuration parameter is a possibile and easy work around.

But suntime isn't actually running when the TomTom is off, is it? So can suntime itself see the real time? Can suntime record the real time, say, every minute while suntime is running? Does this require it to modify system files? When it sees a gap (of more than 2 min?) between the current and last "time stamps" it knows the TomTom must have been switched off and runs the function once to update the display?

What is the memory footprint of the application (SD card and RAM)?
roussillat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wibbly wrote:
But suntime isn't actually running when the TomTom is off, is it? So can suntime itself see the real time? Can suntime record the real time, say, every minute while suntime is running? Does this require it to modify system files? When it sees a gap (of more than 2 min?) between the current and last "time stamps" it knows the TomTom must have been switched off and runs the function once to update the display?

What is the memory footprint of the application (SD card and RAM)?

When you stop your Tomtom, in fact, this suspends all CPU activity and when you start your Tomtom, the CPU activity resumes from where it was suspended.

Of course, your idea is good. If the time gap between two different cycles of suntime is more than 1 minute, we can assume that a stop/start sequence has happened and check if time and coordinates needs a color switch. I keep your idea...
roussillat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:58 pm    Post subject: Suntime v1.2 is available Reply with quote

Hello,

Suntime v1.2 is available here : http://www.webazar.org/tomtom/suntime.php

A new configuration parameter allows you to define the period between two time and coordinates check.

Frequent users of the keyboard just have to set a huge value, like 900 seconds. Other may keep the default value, 60 seconds.
Osmosis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Suntime v1.2 is available Reply with quote

roussillat wrote:
Suntime v1.2 is available here : http://www.webazar.org/tomtom/suntime.php

Merci beaucoup ! Smile

Can't wait to get Suntime back on my TT.

TomTom One (New Edition) GB
PGPSW Camera Database

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: