Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - n20 & 530 voice file info,
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

n20 & 530 voice file info,
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
satbloke
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:19 pm    Post subject: n20 & 530 voice file info, Reply with quote

Just for those interested,

I just had a go at changing the voice samples and it doesn't seem that difficult.

I'm going to write a little program to allow you to change the .dat files over the next couple of weeks if I have enough time Rolling Eyes

For those interested,

The .dat files - uk_f_5.dat & uk_m_5.dat contain a simple header and a long .wav with all the phrases in one sample.

The sample format is
64kbps - 4bit - mono - 16khz

If you open the file in a hex editor and trim the data from addr 0 up until the RIFF4 string of bytes, you can rename the file to a .wav and play in on windows.

If anyone wants the .wav's emailed to them let me know.

Regard,
Warren.
robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

4 bit sound samples seems a little too small to me. Check it out as I would expect 8 or likely 16 bits. 64KBits/Sec at 16KHz is 4 bit, but 4 bits is not enough for the quality sound and dynamic range you get out of a Navman device (If you plug in an external speaker, or listen to an iCN6xx)

I am certain you will get it sorted, If you do get a progam to change them there are a lot of people here would love to have a copy of it. (Me first).
satbloke
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

They are compressed to 4 bit via IMA ADPCM. Uncompressed they are 16000Hz, 16-bit, Mono

I done a majority of the programming over the last few hours but its a bit tedious and uses 4 command line programs so far !

The 1st program i've done saves out the full IMA ADPCM WAV containing all the voices.

Next you have to run cooledit or another program on the wav and convert it to an uncompressed wav

Next I have to run a second program to split the uncompressed wav in to individual samples using the dat files from the nav man

// at this point I change the samples with my own standard uncompressed ones.

The 3rd program converts all the uncompressed files back into a single wav.

Next you have to run cooledit or another program on the wav and convert it to a compressed IMA ADPCM wav 64kbps - 4bit - mono - 16khz

Then the 4rd program rebuilds the file. It needs quite a bit more work but should be ready soon.

Regards,
Warren.
satbloke
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damm !! & Blast !!

Just got the builder working & couldn't work out why the new samples wouldn't load in the navman.

I've just noticed the very last 12 bytes of the .dat files contain a crc32 checksum with the text 'fact' contained.

looking at the kernal bin, it uses zlib. zlib is a free compression library, If the crc32 code is created with zlib function I may be able to crack it.

Enough of my moaning,
Warren.
robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't understand why they either don't publish a program to do it, use an industry standard format, or at least make it easy to reverse engineer Wink - The ability to make up sound files, or at least download alternates from the net, is something a large number of customers are asking (screaming) for.
I understand and fully support the map data being protected, it is valuable and expensive to produce and the core value of their product, but the voice files - who would want to rip off the Navman voices anyway. They have no intrinsic value and therefore are not worth protecting. Opening up the ability to make alternates adds value to the Navman product.

Look at Tom Tom's model - they even distribute an SDK so people can make extentions, Tom Tom relise that this adds value, Navman is back in the old days of IBM, closed systems that underperform and are over priced. Look what happend to big blue...

When you are finished with this one, are you keen of doing me a Favourite's editor, although I read somewhere the new software uses XML, so that should be easy.

Rant over :D
As for the tedious, 4*command line programs, thats not really a problem. Most people who can be bothered make files will be quite capable of doing whats required, and generally I think most users just want to download alternates. There are sites around that sell them for other systems, so they would be happy to be able offer a Navman package, even it making it is a bit clumsy.

Good luck
satbloke
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My creation is now complete !!

I can change the individual wav's on my n20 !!
It works via the dos command line at the moment, next a windows interface !

Would it be possible for someone to send me a 530 sound file,
Similar to the n20's uk_m_5.dat ??

Thanks,
Warren.
satbloke
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are there any free soundpacks on the web for the tomtom ? If so, where can I download them ?

Thanks again,
Warren.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

satbloke wrote:
Are there any free soundpacks on the web for the tomtom ? If so, where can I download them ?

Thanks again,
Warren.
Warren, Have a look at www.tomtomsatnav.info where you can find voice files for the TomTom devices, not too sure what you can do with these relative to your device though - Mike
satbloke
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike,

They should work a treat !! :D

All I need to do is viftool them,
Convert the .ogg files back to wav's with oggdec.exe

and insert the key word wav's into the navman !!

The major ones, Turn left, Turn Right,Roundabout,Straight should work a treat.

Cheers,
Warren.
Krasimir
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Warren,

I could send you a 530 voice file but I don't think you need it.
I guess it is exactly the same as in your N20. Just to check it
the size of my iCN 530 uk_m_5.dat is 1,845,512 bytes. If the size of this file on your N20 is the same I am sure the files are identical and there is no need for checksumming. I think N20 is basically a iCN 530 with the addition of the dubious NavPix feature and a slight change of the buttons.
What I would like to do with the voice files of my iCN 530 is to increase the volume level. The same way you did it I also managed to separate the header from the IMA ADPCM compressed part of the voice file and I tried to convert it to a wave file with a wave editor (Nero 7), increase the volume level and convert it back to an IMA ADPCM but my iCN 530 didn't like the file. I also tried to convert it with sox (one of the programs which allows you to convert to 16000 bits/s - as opposed to some programs which support only 44100, 22050, 11025 and 8000), but of course sox does an internal conversion and I again ended up with a file which iCN 530 wouldn't play.
I think the original file is not checksummed because when I changed a few bytes with a hex editor my iCN 530 still played it. I think it is about finding the suitable conversion porgram. Could you tell me anything about this?

Best regards
Krasimir
satbloke
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Krasimir,

The size of the file is different on the n20, its 1,744,056 bytes so if you could email it to me I would be grateful. In return I will send you a copy of the utility as long as it works.

You are right, there was no checksum. The last 12 bytes were the header for the IMA ADPCM.
The only problem is the file needs to be called uk_m_5.dat or uk_f_5.dat.
If its called anything else it won't load.

I will PM you my email address.

Regards,
Warren.
satbloke
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I would also like the uk sound files from the icn6xx series and icn7xx series.
These should be accessible from the sound directory on the navman via active sync.

Many Thanks,
Warren.
DracUK
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I hope you get this working m8.I had an f20 for a few days but moved it on because the navigation volume was hard to hear in a truck.
The sat nav was very good apart from the sound volume.I am thinking of buying the n20 but the sound volume is the problem.When will Navman learn by their mistakes,they should listen to a TomTom or a Mio c510.I emailed Navman support about the sound and the just said they would pass it on.

good luck and patiently waiting

DracUK
satbloke
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi mate,

Thanks for the support,

Just to clarify, this is working for the N20 and I can create voice packs ease.
I just need some decent voices to try on the N20 and get the utility going with the other navman's iCn/520/530/6xx/7xx

As you say, the navman volume is a real problem. They need a better speaker. Or a small external speaker that plugs into the headphone jack for better sound.

I think the tomtom wins on the volume front, its far superior.

Thanks,
Warren.
satbloke
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the email Krasimir,

The 530 voice files converted fine, an email with the application is on its way over.

If anyone has the 6xx or 7xx voice files and are willing to send them over it would help a lot.

Thanks,
Warren.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: