Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Newbit would welcome some feedback...
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Newbit would welcome some feedback...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BertieMeldrew
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:31 am    Post subject: Newbit would welcome some feedback... Reply with quote

... I am going to read through all the newbie threads but thought I'd also post my current thoughts and collect any feedback - so thanks in advance!

I currently have a Honda car with the built-in SatNav. It is pants! I am about to change the car and have ordered one without Satnav and am planning on going for a PDA/Software soultion.

My current thinking is an iPaq (not too sure of model... 2290?) with Tomtom Navigator 6. The attractions of a PDA solution include the additional use to which I can put the PDA itself. I don't do that much travelling (now retired) so the greater flexibility of a PDA is v.attractive!

I have had an iPaq (work supplied) before and was v.impressed with it (except that the battery died eventually).

I'm on a budget of c£500 all-in

So main questions...

Is this a good combination?
Tomtom N6 - good choice?
Which iPaq? (Which PDA?)
Best car-mount option (I'd prefer one that sits on the dash rather than the windscreen)
etc.

Any feedback greatly appreciated.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum, TTN6 is a good product for the nav software, if you want to go for an Ipaq have a look for one running WM2005 as it offers persistent storage, the 2490 is worth a look at.
For mounts do a search for Brodit they offer one of the better solutions for a mount - vent style
You will also need a GPS reciever have a look at a SiRF-III equipped device these are about the best for reception, if you want a bluetooth device make sure the PDA is Bluetooth equipped, and purchase a decent screen protector for the PDA, the cheaper ones just don't last. Mike
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi BertieMeldrew,

Welcome to the forum! Thumbs Up

I’ve been using TomTom Navigator 6 for a few months now, and I think it’s a good system.

I use TomTom Navigator 6 on an HP iPAQ h2210, unfortunately the h2210 was discontinued a long time ago although with a bit of luck you might find a decent one on eBay if you search long enough. Have a look here on the TomTom website for the official list of compatible HP iPAQs (currently H4150, H4350, HX2190, HX2490).

As for mounting solutions, I like Brodit. You need a ProClip for the dashboard of your car, an Active holder to hold and charge your iPAQ (which ever one you get) and optionally a mini Move Mount which allows you the slip off the holder and just leave the ProClip on your dashboard. This becomes an almost stealth installation when you leave the car with no telltale windscreen sucker marks. If you tell us the make, model, and year of your new car I can post up details of the possible Brodit ProClips.

Don’t forget the PocketGPSWorld camera database, which is very useful! ;)

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
BertieMeldrew
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for the replies...
BertieMeldrew
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have taken the plunge!

Ordered iPaq 2490 and TTN6! Hanging on to order the cradle etc.

Thanks for the help! My future experiences will be posted...

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: