Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Mio C710 MioMap updater
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Mio C710 MioMap updater

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
freddie34
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:45 pm    Post subject: Mio C710 MioMap updater Reply with quote

I'm in trouble again. I have been trying to update my Mio C710 with the latest download but when I try to run the software I get the error message 'Cannot connect to your device. Install MIO USB driver and connect your device before you start updater'

I thought this was automatic when I installed the original software. Can anyone please help.
IanCurtis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It happens to me also now and then. Try to connect and turn your Mio on, then restart your computer. It might help.
freddie34
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's sorted ... just had to remove the SD card and everything worked fine. I wish MIO would give more information on aspects such as this ... I can't find any reference to it in their manuals!
Morkin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This should not be the solution for this. That is why this is not in the manual.
I have a C710 wth 2gb sd-card. I always have the card in the slot and experience no problem with recognition through USB.

I turn on the Mio first before connecting to the computer. Every once and awhile the computer asks me for the drivers. That's why i copied these drivers from the dvd to a directory on the pc.

This way i can quickly install the drivers if needed.

Hope this helps.
freddie34
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you ever noticed that when you update the Mio, as soon as the files start uploading, the screen on the Mio shows an image of two objects ... one of a folder and the other of a disk with a large cross next to it. What does this signify and why is it not mentioned in the manual?
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that was pretty clear - it shows that the Mio is connected to the PC, and the finger with the cross is telling you not to fiddle with the device while it's running.

Sal
freddie34
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sal, it may be clear to you but as a comparative newbie I would consider a bit more info in the manual would help. I doubt I travel as much as you appear to do and most of that is done locally when I don't need the Mio, but when I do use it, I find it frustrating that there is so little information on all aspects of its use.

As a retired watch and clock repairer by trade, if you came to me with a question concerning the setting up of a digital chronograph I would refer you to the manual even though it would be obvious to me how it worked. I would also have sufficient tact and diplomacy to explain how it worked.

It still argues the case for a fully informed manual whichever way you look at it! But then, I doubt Mio would regard this with any more seriousness than they do with answering e-mails. I am still awaiting a reply after sending four e-mails since early August!!
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I agree with you 100% about Mitac's lack of support. It is disgraceful that they ignore emails, and that they charge so much for a premium support line where they (a) make you listen to recorded announcements and then keep you on hold, and (b) don't seem to have a clue about the problem you are trying to describe. But I would have to say that the full PDF manual (as opposed to the abysmal leaflet in the box) is not a bad effort. It is fairly comprehensive if you take the trouble to sit and read through it, and many of the questions asked here are actually explained in it. As a beginner myself (I bought my first GPS unit in June) I have found it very useful.

Sal
freddie34
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if you can point me to a page in the manual (which I also downloaded from the Mio website in the hope that it would have been updated!) that describes the point I raised in the first place, I would be very grateful. In the images on my screen, one would hazard a guess that what it was trying to tell me was, that I should eject the SD card before downloading the updates. Or is that protrusion at the back supposed to represent the arial?
rronaldson
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddie,

I too was puzzled when I first saw that image in the screen. I thought it was telling me that I had to have an SD card in before proceeding. I've come to the conclusion that it doesn't mean much at all. Perhaps, as Sal says, you shouldn't do anyting with the thing while that picture shows.

I came to these forums only a short time ago as a complete novice but as you read the posts you do start to see what it's all about. Some aspects of the Mio still puzzle me but it's interesting to learn.
freddie34
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers! I'll drink to that ... at least these forums offer constructive advice which is more than you get from the manufacturer of the product. It's a pity they don't read these threads, they could learn a lot from what the buyers of their products have to say.

The only point I would make to Sal in terms of constructive advice is, remember these forums rely on questions as well as answers ... no one is that clever that they don't need help from time to time. What may be clear to one person may appear to be smog to another! Wink
ernest_mio
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys,

I think that we all now accept that the quality of the documentation provided with the Mio, plus that available for download, is not 100% perfect. However, as Sal points out it does provide a significant amount of information and Freddie has identified an area where it is particularly weak.

I came to this forum based on the postive feedback posters gave and received. There are some nasty, brusque forums out there and I, for one, do not wish this forum to degenerate into such a forum. Can we move on and keep constructive advise to the private message area and keep the main forum area for assisting "newbies" and "old-hands" with issues?
Sad
derekdomino
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 6:01 pm    Post subject: You need the original MIO drivers Reply with quote

I had the same problems. Don't trust windows, you cannot work with the USB drivers automatically installed. The only way to get this working is with the MIO drivers. Dunno why they don't post them on their webpage.
Twisted Evil javascript:emoticon('Angry')javascript:emoticon('Gun Shoot Out')javascript:emoticon('Grrrr')

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: