Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom GPS wireless - Bluetooth dead!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom GPS wireless - Bluetooth dead!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mark_shillam
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 3:01 pm    Post subject: TomTom GPS wireless - Bluetooth dead! Reply with quote

Hi guyz ,
I have the following problem:
I have recently acquired a HP 1940 in bundle with
TomTom gps Bluetooth and all has worked fine for some day.
Without warning, then, the gps has stopped to communicate with the 1940, the intermittent blue lights no more,
it is only ignited for a fraction of second to the ignition, then the only light that remains ignited is the continuous green. Evil or Very Mad
And the gps practically is invisibile, also to the Bluetooth port of my mobile. 8O
So:

- green light always on
- no blue light at all (not flashing nor always on)

and my HP 1940 won't see the GPS module at all.

Any suggestions? Is it definitively broken (I bought it ONE MONTH ago.. Sad )?
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there have been threads around here on the forum about that (try a search) - have you already tried to drain the backup battery on the GPS receiver for a longer time?

Eventually your unit may just have died and you would need to send it to your vendor for a replacement.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark, sorry to say it's . You will need to return this to the retailer you purchased from or TomTom direct. There does seem to be some sort of issues in over charging or spiking, but we haven't been able to put our finger on which it is yet.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes there does appear to be some issues with this device, mine expired in the very same way earlier this week. Gave it a charge and now all I get is the BT LED blinking once on power on and then just the right hand green LED. No BT communications.

I have tried draining the battery until it powers off and then leaving for 48hrs, after a subsequent full charge it was the same. I may try detaching the internal battery and leaving for a while longer to guarantee any remaining charge in the capacitors is discharged.
mark_shillam
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 11:40 am    Post subject: Thanx guys Reply with quote

.. thanx a lot for all your answers..

Darren how can I detach the battery from the receiver?
Shall I open it?
If I open the receiver, is the warranty still valid?

Thanx :-D
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would invalidate the warranty by opening the case. If you're happy to try then simply remove the two screws on the bottom of the unit. The top cover lifts off (no clips to worry about) and underneath the receiver circuit board is the battery. It can be detatched by unclipping it's connector from the circuit board.
mark_shillam
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmmmhhhhhh.....

I think I'll not open it... I think I'll let it 5 days off before recharging! Crying or Very sad
I don't want the warranty to be voidened.. 8O

What about your GPS module Darren?
Is it ok after battery removal?

Cheers

Mark.
ian
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 10:29 am    Post subject: I have exactly the same problem - TomTom Bluetooth Reply with quote

Mark,

I have exactly the same symptons on my 6 day old TomTom Bluetooth GPS receiever.

It worked fine for 2 days and then no Bluetooth LED or communication....!!!

I have tried the battery discharge without success and now I am pursueing sending it back to Total PDA for replacement.

Needless to say I am not impressed...!!!

Have you got any update or sorted yours yet...???

Cheers,
Ian
paulgps
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bluetooth on my TomTom BT GPS has also died. It happened on a trip from Liverpool to Cornwall (around 6 hours) with the unit permanently powered from the cigarette ligher, so Dave's comment about overcharging may well be correct. Has anyone successfully managed to fix the problem? Failing that, has anyone successfully managed to return the unit to TomTom and have it replaced? I've had the package for over two months, so I'm sure the retailer will tell me to deal direct with TomTom. Any advice with regard to the TomTom returns process would be very gratefully received.

Thanks.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Removing the battery made no difference to my defective unit. I now have my replacement installed in the cradle and permanently wired in to the 12v supply and so far it's been working for two weeks without a problem (fingers crossed Exclamation ).

As for replacement, if purchased in the UK then your warranty is with the retailer, they are responsible for replacing it not TomTom so take it up with them. Read this DTi Guide before you speak to them and then If they try to wriggle out of it and tell you to contact TomTom remind them of the Sale of Goods Act Thumbs Up
JJ28
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 2:15 pm    Post subject: And another Reply with quote

Well my 6 month old TT Bluetooth has given up the ghost. No BT light and all charged, discharged etc.

So off to TT is goes.

Have to say that TT support were very good indeed.

Thanks
redmax
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Just like to say, as this is my first post, what an excellent site this is.
I have educated myself no end with the threads so keep up the good work.
Now...
I purchased my TT2 bluetooth & 2210 form Total PDA on 18th Dec 03.
I have probably used it for no more than a total of 7 days and it has gone belly up.
Just as above posts all I have is a permanent green light and no bt light.
If you switch it on there is a single flicker of the bt light but thats it.
To say I'm gutted would be an understatement Crying or Very sad
Question:
Has anyone successfully returned the unit under warranty and had an agreeable outcome. ie a new unit?
What about shipping costs?
Why should I pay to return it? - as a consumer have I any right to get reimbursed for any costs like postage & phone calls from total PDA.
I plan to call TPDA tomorrow so any advice would be appreciated.

TTFN
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 7:53 am    Post subject: How did you power your Bluetooth? Reply with quote

Out of interest how did you power your Bluetooth?

I was wondering if there was any commonalitiy between the way it is powered and the failures. I was wondering if the 12V to 5V regulator (LM2756T) in the cigar lighter lead might be the problem and surges in the car voltage supply may pass through it. Or is there any commonality in the car where a particular make has large spikes?

I use the 12V hard wired supply and the mains adaptor and rarely the cigar lighter lead and I have not had a problem. Both were used in Ford cars.

Around a year ago I saw a similar issue with a popular laser jammer in cars and the problems there were attributed to spikes on the car electrical system. A few people protected themselves by putting heavy suppression (capacitors) on the cigar lighter supply.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

redmax wrote:
What about shipping costs?
Why should I pay to return it? - as a consumer have I any right to get reimbursed for any costs like postage & phone calls from total PDA.
I plan to call TPDA tomorrow so any advice would be appreciated.

Under warranty you have the right to a replacement or exchange. AFAIK this doesn't include claiming for out of pocket expenses. Can you imagine it if you wanted to take it back to TomTom as they are the manufacturers, you decided to buy a plane ticket, fly over to Netherlands, stay a couple of nights in a hotel ? And wanted reimbursement for all of these costs ?

You can always see if the company is willing to pay a good will jesture for out of pocket expenses, but the company (e.g. TotalPDA) have two options available to them once you have returned the product.

1) write off the cost of the product which means they are completely out of pocket by not only the cost of the product to them, but the difference between the buy-in price they pay, and the amount they refund you.

2) to send the faulty unit back to TomTom, so they are actually incurring in most cases more charges than you due to international courier charges, and they won't get these reimbursed either in most cases!

So you could try to see if you'll get anything else back, some companies might give you a free or cheap upgrade to another product if you would rather not have the same product as a replacement, and do this as a good will payment, but most will only provide a like for like replacement with no additional reimbursement.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 9:34 am    Post subject: Warranty Returns Reply with quote

Certainly in the first month of a products life you have the right to return a faulty product at the suppliers expense. The supplier has the right to arrange the return method. Under any other legislative rights for faulty goods the supplier also has the burden of the return.

However a guarantee is an offer made the manufacturer over and above any legislative requirements and they can set any legal terms and conditions they wish. You do have the legal right to expect a reasonable period of service from a product.

Most reasonable suppliers guarantees will expect you to pay the return of the item to them and they pay the cost of shipping the repair/replacement to you. Some make you pay both and some pay for both.

I decided to go for the HP Care Pack for my PDA as it offers a next day exchange replacement for 3 years, they pay all shipping costs, for about 12% of the cost of the PDA. I would have difficulties not having my PDA for a week or more.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: