Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Separate speed alert display software that works with TT?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Separate speed alert display software that works with TT?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
_Brian_
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:27 pm    Post subject: Separate speed alert display software that works with TT? Reply with quote

Hi All,

I am thinking about an alternative for my wife's Road Angel. The singularly nice freature of this device is a full screen alert that ensures you don't miss the camera. The others functions of this device are inferior to TomTom's.

I would like to use TomTom software for navigation and a camera alert software that would display only in a "threat area". This would would be similar to the Road Angel's functionality. This would be configured on a new PDA device.

I am interested in this because I'm concerned that the TomTom alert capabilities are not "in your face", which I think my wife needs.

Thanks in adavnce
Brian
Howarduk
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Brian
If you subscribe to the pocketgpsworld camera database it is possible to download the cameras in various formats. One of the formats is speed zoned, which are all the speed cameras in individual files for each speed limit and each camera type. However, I'm not quite sure what you mean by a "threat area"

Howard
Active Synch 4.5
MohairSofa Calendar+Today Plug-in Ver.2.5.2
Softwinter Storage Tools Ver.2.0 ppc 420
Pocket Informant 9.01 build2390
Sprite Back up Ver 6.5.4 build 16
_Brian_
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howard,

Thanks for the reply. I used the term "threat area" to describe the configured distance from the speed cameras (coming and going).

I have the functionality you describe above on my GPS unit. I have shown it to my wife and she is concerned that it isn't obvious enough vs the display on her Road Angel. What I'm looking for is a speed alert display to either "pop up" or replace the TomTom display in the threat area.

Regards,
Brian
Howarduk
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that CheckPOInt will actually do what you require, if configured correctly it will give warnings of up and coming cameras which can be personalised to whatever distance you require which will let you know by way of an audible warning when you approach the cameras.

Here is the link http://checkpoint.oabsoftware.nl/

Howard
Active Synch 4.5
MohairSofa Calendar+Today Plug-in Ver.2.5.2
Softwinter Storage Tools Ver.2.0 ppc 420
Pocket Informant 9.01 build2390
Sprite Back up Ver 6.5.4 build 16
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Separate speed alert display software that works with TT Reply with quote

_Brian_ wrote:
I would like to use TomTom software for navigation and a camera alert software that would display only in a "threat area". This would would be similar to the Road Angel's functionality. This would be configured on a new PDA device.
There are several pieces of software available to run on a PDA. CheckPOInt, POIWarner & Travel-i spring to mind. You'll also need something like GPSGate to split the GPS signal.

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Separate speed alert display software that works with TT Reply with quote

_Brian_ wrote:
There are several pieces of software available to run on a PDA. CheckPOInt, POIWarner & Travel-i spring to mind. You MAY also need something like GPSGate to split the GPS signal.

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why bother with add on software, simply use the inbuilt warning system coupled with spoken alerts coresponding to the actual camera type and speed for the approaching camera, using the speed zoned database fRom this site coupled to suitably named audio files works fine, and you can configu the distance per camera type/ speed as individual settings - its not difficult to set-up, and there are a number of sound files already created for this functionality - Mike
_Brian_
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all for your replies.

I have looked into CheckPOInt & POIWarner and it seems like they don't provide much enhancement vs the alert capabilities within the TomTom software (when configured with the camera DB and voice plug ins for the specific speeds.

Looks like my wife is going to need to pay a little more attention and rely less on technology .... Now if I could find someone to tell her that.

Thanks again,
Brian
tube
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest POI Warner or CheckPOInt, you get 3 warnings which you can configure.

1st warning 30 Sec's before camera
2nd if over speed(if used with speed zoned database)
3rd warning 10 Sec's before camera

Flashing text on screen also appears, if she misses 3 warnings then give up now.....
gacrane
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

This might be more what you are describing but I don't know how good the camera database is. I used to use it many years ago on my old palm as a standalone but it is now fully integrated with TomTom

http://www.trafcam.com/traf_Ce.htm

Regards

Graham

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: