Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Mio & TMC
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Mio & TMC
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peasemold wrote:

I now sincerely wish I hadn't been such a tight wad and spent a little more on the C710. I'm seriously considering selling the C510E on a well-known internet auction site and buying a C710.

I'm sure you are right. I have never had a moment's trouble with the C710.

Peasemold wrote:

Or am I getting too worked up about TMC? I've heard it is not all that good, being only marginally useful.

No doubt it's a personal thing. I have found it extremely useful.

Peasemold wrote:

One last thing - I'm due to drive around Germany at the end of the month - I presume I might find my crippled TMC useful there?

At least it will prove whether the unit is faulty or just a licensing issue in the UK.

Sal
MioC210user
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The latest from Mio:

"All Mio devices our using messages transmitted by ITIS. Should the device
pick up two different signals, this will not affect the signal strength, it
just switches between the two of them then.

A solution, most likely in the form of a software patch, should be available
within the next month for Mio C210 and Mio C510E. On C710, TMC is already
operational (if the software is updated to version v3.2, available on our
website)"

...so it looks like existing TMC receivers will work properly in the UK with a forthcoming software patch and (hopefully!!) no additional expense
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MioC210user wrote:
The latest from Mio:

"All Mio devices our using messages transmitted by ITIS. Should the device
pick up two different signals, this will not affect the signal strength, it
just switches between the two of them then.

A solution, most likely in the form of a software patch, should be available
within the next month for Mio C210 and Mio C510E. On C710, TMC is already
operational (if the software is updated to version v3.2, available on our
website)"

...so it looks like existing TMC receivers will work properly in the UK with a forthcoming software patch and (hopefully!!) no additional expense

Which just shows how little they know about their own devices!
1. It doesn't use ITIS
2. It works on the C710 with 3.1, doesn't need 3.2

Sal
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to prove the point, here are screenshots just taken this morning in central London on my C710 using Miomap 3.1

Both stations are transmitting Trafficmaster data - see
http://www.trafficmaster.co.uk/page.cfm?key=RDS_TMC

The other UK TMC provider, ITIS uses only Classic FM transmitters - see
http://www.itisholdings.com/itmc2.asp

I've spent far too long on this, so it positively my last contribution on the subject.

Sal

Peasemold
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sallyann wrote:
Just to prove the point, here are screenshots just taken this morning in central London on my C710 using Miomap 3.1

I've spent far too long on this, so it positively my last contribution on the subject.

Sal

I've never doubted that you receive traffic information on the C710, and I've never queried the source of the TMC signal(s), and you have amply demonstrated that Mio are seriously ill-informed. You are happy with your C710, I'm (slightly desparately) trying to make sense of the status of TMC on the C510E and at the moment failing miserably.

Easy devices said this GNS device would work, two other contributors to this forum have said that GNS devices from Easy Devices work, I have not got a peep out of mine - what is going on?

My next stage is to phone Easy Devices and try and get some info out of them, I suppose.

Peasemold
MioC210user
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm not going to argue, but if you look up the ownership of various radio stations you'll see that Classic FM amongst others is owned by Capital Group. GWR and Capital own most radio stations in the UK...

...but where do the radio stations get their traffic info from??

TrafficMaster is a great service if your route is restricted to major roads.

All that I know is that MY C210 did NOT work correctly despite receiving a good signal whilst other peopple's units seem to work.

I have merely tried to keep people updated with information that I have '"rom the horse's mouth" and we know that old saying about shooting the messenger!!

If it was a simple black and white issue, we wouldn't be discussing it, but there are so many shades of grey that the world and his brother (or sister) seem to have a different opinion.

Maybe I should just keep these updates to myself, then those of you lucky enough to have a unit with TMC working will have nothing to dispute.
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sallyann wrote:

I should have added that the C710 will not receive any ClassicFM station, even when I drive right past the transmitter.

Sal
DeeJay01
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sallyann wrote:
Sallyann wrote:

I should have added that the C710 will not receive any ClassicFM station, even when I drive right past the transmitter.

Sal

I must say Sally that your C710 seems to be working correctly, I'm wondering if its because you have used your modified aerial. Confused
I have the C710 with 3.2 version software, I live in London and I'm constantly finding myself in traffic jams. Sad
Dont get me wrong I go get some traffic alerts and the odd "Taffic Jam Ahead" announcement whilst on Motoways but on the North Circular (A406 - inner ring road around London) I'm always stuck, especially around football stadiums. Rolling Eyes

As I haven't driven with the TCM control centre visible I have never seem the different radio stations which I will try today. Wink

One thing that I am concerned about is the fact the MIO have changed their webites content. I remember that when I did my research on purchasing the Mio C710 the website only negated France for TCM reception (needed a subscription) but if you look at the website now

http://www.mio-tech.be/products/tmc-traffic-message-channel-gps.php?product=C710 the site content has changed to "Except France and the UK" Confused
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeeJay01 wrote:

I must say Sally that your C710 seems to be working correctly, I'm wondering if its because you have used your modified aerial. Confused

I very much doubt it. All I did was replace the thick plastic wire with the same length of very thin enamelled copper wire to be less conspicuous to the 'let's break in and nick the GPS' brigade. The signal pickup should be the same. The important thing is to make sure that the aerial is well clear of any metalwork, even if this means bending it.
From what you say I suspect that you have it working perfectly well, and it isn't routing you around the jams simply because there is no alternative clear route. If there is a clear by-pass around the north circular then I certainly haven't found it yet!
I haven't ever driven in France but from what I have read there seems to be a radio traffic network on the main autoroutes on 107.7MHz, which has free RDS TMC. The rest of the roads are only on a subscription service. But I stand to be corrected on this.

Sal
MioC210user
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand Sal to be correct - France and the UK have 2 TMC services, 1 free and 1 subscription - whilst the rest of Europe use a totally FREE service.

Mio's problem is that their products do not (or may not) work fully with the FREE service in the UK.

Although Mio may have changed the wording on their web site, their online manuals have always (as far as I'm aware) stated that TMC is not global and regional availability should be checked.

However, finding information on TMC or compatible devices is about as easy as finding hens' teeth or rocking horse dung.

As mentioned in previous postings, Mio are currently developing and testing a TMC receiver for the UK and I understand that there is a software patch to accompany this receiver.
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MioC210user wrote:
I understand Sal to be correct - France and the UK have 2 TMC services, 1 free and 1 subscription

No, you misquoted me. The UK has no free TMC service.

As I said, I am bored with this continual discussion. So lets's make it interesting again.

If there was a free UK service, it would be common knowledge. It would be publicised by the service provider, or the FM stations transmitting it, or the manufacturers making equipment, or the retailers selling it, or by its many users. I have been unable to find one single reference to any of these.

So here's the challenge. If you can find a reference to a free UK TMC RDS service, that anyone can legally use without payment of a licence fee either direct or through an equipment supplier, I will buy you a years' PGPSW subscription.

A good place to start looking might be here:

http://www.tmcforum.com/en/about_tmc/tmc_services_today/united_kingdom.htm

Sal
DeeJay01
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="DeeJay01As I haven't driven with the TCM control centre visible I have never seem the different radio stations which I will try today. Wink
quote]

Sally was right. I monitored the TCM control centre and received traffic updates from Heart 106.7FM and LBC 97.3FM to mention a couple so the MIO must use the Traffic Master system.

One thing that I dont understand is that I didn't recieve all of the LBC 97.3FM updates. I was listening to the station and about 10 alerts were announced on the radio but only 2 were displayed on the MIO. The 2 that was displayed were not on-route and 1 of the other alerts could possibly be on-route (withing a few miles of my location) Confused

Anyone got any ideas.
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeeJay01 wrote:

One thing that I dont understand is that I didn't recieve all of the LBC 97.3FM updates. I was listening to the station and about 10 alerts were announced on the radio but only 2 were displayed on the MIO. The 2 that was displayed were not on-route and 1 of the other alerts could possibly be on-route (withing a few miles of my location) Confused
Anyone got any ideas.

Two possibilities -
1. Are you sure that your Mio was receiving from LBC? Mine will not. In London it receives Capital and Heart. If I exclude both then it won't stop on any other station and that includes LBC.
2. The Trafficmaster info originates at their central office, not from the stations that transmit it. It's possible that the local stations have extra reports (from listeners etc) that don't get fed back to Trafficmaster and therefore don't go out over the TMC.

Sal
MioC210user
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've spent so much time looking up TMC info and trying to get TMC working that I'm not even going to bother taking up Sal's challenge and trawl through all those web sites again...

...there is information out there, but I haven't got the time, patience or energy to repeat searches that I've already undertaken. In fact, I'm sure I've even posted a link on here somewhere but I'm so ****ed off with the whole TMC situation that I can't be bothered anymore - spending time in traffic or repeating web searches is all just time wasted.

Good challenge - but every time I've put an update on here, somebody has come along and disagrees, so in future I'm simply going to keep my thoughts to myself.
DeeJay01
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MioC210user wrote:
Well, I've spent so much time looking up TMC info and trying to get TMC working that I'm not even going to bother taking up Sal's challenge and trawl through all those web sites again...

...there is information out there, but I haven't got the time, patience or energy to repeat searches that I've already undertaken. In fact, I'm sure I've even posted a link on here somewhere but I'm so ****ed off with the whole TMC situation that I can't be bothered anymore - spending time in traffic or repeating web searches is all just time wasted.

Good challenge - but every time I've put an update on here, somebody has come along and disagrees, so in future I'm simply going to keep my thoughts to myself.

MioC210User,
I understand that you are at your wits end with this topic but I still feel that you should post anything that you find on this forum as the forum is to help each and everyony to understand the issues which we may all face in time. Not only for this topic but for others.
Remember Each one Teach One

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 6 of 14

Jump to: