Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Mio & TMC
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Mio & TMC
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
the_pts
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Thanks

both units work OK with postcodes on v3.2
the_pts
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess What

Just had an email from Easy Devices saying they are out of stock

Peter
darthpaul
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great links guys, thanks.

Apart from external appearance, I wonder what the actual internal difference is between these two adaptors.

I mean, they both must ahere to some standards - and it'd be pretty vacuous of Mio to be selling one that didn't work to the standards of the TMC library in the C210/C510/C710's software..
MioC210user
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently, the receiver for the C210 is still undergoing development and/or testing...

...I hope they test it a bit better than the job they seem to have done on MioMap v3.2
bigrids
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ultrax,

Hi,

I am the other C510 user who ordered and now have the TMC adapter from easydevices. I have just been up the M6 and back from Plymouth to Stafford and it rerouted me twice around traffic jams both successfully.

I must admit though it doesn't always find an FM station right away but when it does it works great.

Bigrids
Ultrax
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi bigrids,

damn good to read your post as i was truly starting to feel like the thin red line trying to convince people that i actually had a TMC adaptor that works with the C510. I knew someone else had ordered from Easy devices and went through the same b-ll--ks that i did to get their hands on this wondrous piece of kit. I must admit that it took about 10 minutes to find a station yesterday, after i left Weymouth to drive back to London, but i thought this probably was down to the fact i was in the middle of nowhere. Earlier today, it started receiving traffic info within a couple of seconds of switching on, even beating the satellite signal. But work it most certainly does! I have just noticed that Sallyann has worked out a fix for the V3.2 postcode problem, so i shall give it a go over the weekend. Clever girl old Sal.

Cheers
bigrids
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ultrax,

I find that when my adapter doesn't work (ie doesn't find a station) I have to switch it off and then back on again. This seems to start the search for a station and my two little cars icon. My only disappointment is most of my regular runs are up the M6 to Stafford and in the Birmingham area where most of the traffic jams are thats where I seem to lose my signal. I would have expected Birmingham to have a couple of commercial radio sations at least.

But hey it works!!!

Bigrids
Peasemold
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry people, I didn't spot this thread so, if you don't mind, I'll repost my recent request for info on the C510 and TMC.

Quote:

I bought a Mio TMC adaptor for C510 (amongst others) from:

http://www.globalpositioningsystems.co.uk/search.php?search=p61963&x=11&y=10

and I am having difficulty ascertaining whether it works correctly or not.

The TMC icon appears on the satellite page as expected, but I have yet to see any TMC information on the page accessed by pressing said icon.

When I go the settings page, it appears to be scanning through the FM frequences, and stopping at the local frequences for the various radio stations. Sometimes it says it "Testing", sometimes it says No TMC, at other times it say TMC connected. Occasionally the signal bar is all orange, though mainly it is grey or just shows a small bit of orange.

At no time over the last day have I seen a station or any TMC information.

Am I just unlucky and there has been no information transmitted or am I not operating it correctly? Could it be some other problem? Have I got a duff unit?

Peasemold

Unquote.

Could I have an non-updated adaptor? If so, why are globalpositioningsystems.co.uk still selling them at £80 (presumably including the lifetime membership to Traffic Master) , and saying they are suitable for a C510?

Peasemold
ticklepin
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 11:53 am    Post subject: 510 / 710 TMC function faulty? Reply with quote

Hi Peasmold,(any relation to my disgusting old uncle J.P. Gruntfuttock?)

For what it is worth:
in my drive the TMC function on my 710 was as similarly depressingly inert as your unit.
However when taken for a 15 minute trial run (in Banbury area), with the aerial suitably deployed, my ‘Traffic Events’ list soon became populated.
My vehicle does not have a heat reflecting windscreen. If yours does, then I think this opens a whole new can of worms.

However I did find the TMC aerial draped across the windscreen to be unacceptable, and consequently went to some trouble to connect it into my car radio antenna.

The TMC functions admirably even after(despite?) the 3.2 update and, used with a little personal input, will happily reroute you round trouble spots.
If your 510 does not function in this way then I would assume it to be faulty.
Hope this helps.
FuzzyDuck
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:39 am    Post subject: Re: 510 / 710 TMC function faulty? Reply with quote

ticklepin wrote:
...I did find the TMC aerial draped across the windscreen to be unacceptable, and consequently went to some trouble to connect it into my car radio antenna
Hi Ticklepin

I too have been looking at the wire and the suckers on the TMC aerial and always wondered if there was a way to use the car's aerial instead... how did you manage to do it? And was it difficult? Any help would be gratefully recieved!! I have a Maplin catalogue in hand an a pair of wire cutters.... Twisted Evil Where do I start?

Thanks

Andy

Proud owner of:
Mio C620t (the new baby) and a Mio C510e
ticklepin
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:15 am    Post subject: 510 / 710 TMC function faulty? Reply with quote

Hi Fuzzyduck.
Put the wire cutters away for the moment; I would rather avoid that!

Basically what you need to establish is access to the aerial input of your car radio which may be easy, or almost impossible. Consultation with your service agent should help.
Alternatively the aerial feed may have a conveniently accessible junction in it, in which case, be grateful.
( My ’06 Forester has an aerial junction beneath the port side transmission trim.)

I then made a lash up ‘piggy back’ connector to the TMC aerial from bits and pieces which is inserted between the two parts of the joint or aerial connector on the radio.
The ‘bits and pieces’ is the important thing, and the Maplin catalogue is a start, but the help of a radio electronics enthusiast would be better.
Whatever you do make sure that no filaments of the coaxial aerial screen are in contact with the central conductor.
Also be aware that some car aerials are ‘active’, i.e. they do not receive until the radio, or at least the ignition, is turned on.

If all else fails this might help:

http://www.nexxia.co.uk/Car_Stereo_fitting_kits/antenna_adaptors.htm

Item PC5-105 should do the trick.
Let us know how you get on.
Good luck!
Ticklepin
the_pts
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

My TMC arrived from Easy Devices today

Still does not work with C210

I get full signal, but it will not lock onto a channel to recieve the TMC info it says TMC present but no information comes though.

Have not been able to test it on C510 yet

Pete
MioC210user
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know, Mio are still 'testing' a TMC receiver for the UK.

The receiver I had (which I returned) was picking up a signal but not decoding the traffic info.

It's this decoding part which Mio are 'testing' because their units don't work with the FREE TMC service in the UK - only the subscription service, which they haven't sorted out yet.

There's one thing worse than technology and that's technology that DOESN'T work!!
Peasemold
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the_pts wrote:
Hi

My TMC arrived from Easy Devices today

Still does not work with C210

I get full signal, but it will not lock onto a channel to recieve the TMC info it says TMC present but no information comes though.

Have not been able to test it on C510 yet

Pete
I have one on back order from Easy Devices, but they said they hadn't got any in 2 days ago and were awaiting a delayed shipment - maybe I should get mine soon. The man at Easy said that these devices were definitely C510 compatible, and this seems to be borne out by the success Ultrax and Bigrids had with theirs. Here's hoping mine comes soon so I can test it - let us know if yours works on the C510.

Thanks

Peasemold.
griffoid
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:24 pm    Post subject: TMC for C210 ??? advice please Reply with quote

Having seen the various postings I am still confused. Does TMC work on the C210 - ie has someone actually used it?

Some postings have indicated that they get a signal, others say even so, it still does not work.

Mio do not have one fo the C210 for sale on their site yet - better to buy locally though I think.

Anyone fully working yet ????

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 4 of 14

Jump to: