Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Mio & TMC
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Mio & TMC
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
klystron_generator
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

some useful and interesting feedback there

being a competent map reader i always try to have a quick check of a paper map to get a rough idea of the 'best' route and possible detours

if i'm planning a journey of reasonable length i always try to check the traffic info first too...but you can't use Teletext or web sites etc on the move

this way you can often get a rough instinctive idea if the unit is taking you miles out of your way (* see below)

but at the weekend or outside 'rush hour' we don't have the benefit of regular and frequent traffic bulletins on the radio as our journey progresses

* my journey to work on the Mio:
fastest route - 60 miles
shortest route - 60 miles
preferred route - 49.7 miles...10 miles shorter than the 'shortest' route

i guess the best suggestion to everybody is to take on board what various people on this forum have said about using the sat nav as a guide only...i have no first hand experience of TMC but i'm sure the same applies cos we still comply with no entry signs etc regardless of what the sat nav says

TMC seems to be as much a thorn in the side as a help and finding useful information is nigh on impossible :x
Retty
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would tend to agree that finding useful TMC information is very difficult - after all how do you know that the information is accurate if you've avoided the route? Also how do you know that the information was helpful if you're routed from one jam (on a M road) to another undocumented jam (on an A road)?

I think TMC is a good idea in principle but in practice there are probably too many rough edges at present for it to be trusted on the C710.

Still, the unusually detailed information I received for parts of the journey proved to be of practical use. For parts of the journey it was certainly on a par with a dedicated traffic device I saw working some weeks ago.

I think there's a cultural issue too. When I was driving in France a few years back I came across an overturned lorry on a main road (a 2 lane road). French Police were directing traffic around the lorry and so the flow of traffic wasn't stopped only slowed. It probably wouldn't happen in the UK. In the UK even a minor accident involving a lane blockage is capable of causing chaos and closing a 2 or 3 lane road for at least a period of time. How does a human being with commonsense let alone a computer wihout commonsense predict the flow of traffic in such an event and make routing decisions accordingly?
dpmguy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Retty"]
No, absolutely, it doesn't explain the key question of why the C710 seems to work but the C510 and C210 don't.
The C710 picks up both Classic FM and 2Ten FM in the same geographical border area at different times (depending on nothing in particular it seems).

I think the issues are probably more complicated than people realise - Mitac has been clear that th C710 doesn't support TMC in the UK and I have no reason to doubt that they at least believe in the logic of that position. After all the C510 and C210 don't seem to be able to receive TMC.

quote]

Just for information my C510 picks up traffic infomation fine. Initally it could received TMC in NORWICH via Radio Broadland a member of the GCap Media group, since i have updraded to version 3.2 it now picks up Classic FM even next to the Radio Broardland transmitter.

I travel from Hampshire to Norfolk every weekend and it now seems that classic FM is the station which provides the information for most of the journey.

DPM
-------------------------------
Mio C510E - 1st purchase very impressed.
Now running V3.2
repsaj
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dpmguy wrote:

I travel from Hampshire to Norfolk every weekend and it now seems that classic FM is the station which provides the information for most of the journey.

I drive most of that route regularly and I just cannot get my 710 to stop on ClassicFM.
I think there must be two versions, because some people get TMC from ClassicFM and some don't.
I wonder if it depends on the firmware version? My 710 is quite an early one, but I have updated to Mio Map 3.2.
klystron_generator
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's possibly also the explanation as to why some C510 users can get TMC signals but others have been left frustrated

trouble is that Mio seem to be about as helpful and consistent as the TMC info online Sad

but we're not alone...a friend of mine bought a TomTom and they ignored his support email and his phone call was cut off Confused
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here. I have never got TMC from Classic FM. Watching the display scan through the FM band, it goes right through the Classic FM frequency as if it wasn't there. However I'm quite happy with the service it does gives from the other stations.

Sal
the_pts
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I posted a couple of weeks ago an email I had from Mio saying that the TMC service now works in the UK, I tested and replied to them saying that it still does not work, here is there latest reponse

"Following your email I would like to enquire as to what error you are encountering. TMC does now work in the UK for users who have version 3.2 mio map and have purchased a TMC antenna. Please could you inform us what model unit you have and what problem or error message you are encountering.

We will be more than happy to answer your question.

Kind regards,

Mio Technology support team
"

I'll let you know more when I hear back

Peter
MioC210user
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a UK-specific TMC receiver Question

I posted ages ago that this vital piece of the equation is being worked on and as far as I know it is STILL being tested.

If you read earlier in this thread, I was told by Mio back in October that TMC works in the UK with 3.2 Exclamation

Same old left hand, right hand; **** up and brewery syndrome Exclamation Exclamation

Everybody appears to be too busy satisfying their own egos to take note of what anybody else says on here Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation
klystron_generator
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this thread is proving how difficult it is to find useful and consistent information about TMC Exclamation

what an emotive subject this has turned out to be Exclamation

...and technology should just work straight out of the box Exclamation

oh hum Rolling Eyes

when we get TMC sorted what next Question
the_pts
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MioC210user wrote:
Do you have a UK-specific TMC receiver Question

I posted ages ago that this vital piece of the equation is being worked on and as far as I know it is STILL being tested.

If you read earlier in this thread, I was told by Mio back in October that TMC works in the UK with 3.2 Exclamation

Same old left hand, right hand; **** up and brewery syndrome Exclamation Exclamation

Everybody appears to be too busy satisfying their own egos to take note of what anybody else says on here Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation

The Reciever is the standard MIO one which they told me works in the UK.

I hope that your last comment is not directed at me as I have read previous posts and am only giving information that I have recieved from MIO themselves.

Peter
GPSBear
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sitting in a Tesco car park in SE London this afternoon waiting for SWMBO and playing with my C710. It seemed to like Capital FM and very quickly had 32 pages of traffic from round the corner to Aberdeen. Maybe those who say a particular station gives bad results should add it to the exclude list?
ticklepin
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to report that yesterday morning,10/01/07,in Oxfordshire, I was unable to receive any traffic events on my Mio C710 .
The 'orange bar' was fully present and transiently tuned into Classic FM, among others.
In view of possible subscription difficulties, I rather feared the worst and that someone, somewhere, had pulled a plug.
Happily, today all was well; the list was populated within seconds of switching on, even before the GPS had achieved a lock!
It would seem that sometimes disappointing results may be due to transmission failures.
DeeJay01
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ticklepin wrote:
Just to report that yesterday morning,10/01/07,in Oxfordshire, I was unable to receive any traffic events on my Mio C710 .
The 'orange bar' was fully present and transiently tuned into Classic FM, among others.
In view of possible subscription difficulties, I rather feared the worst and that someone, somewhere, had pulled a plug.
Happily, today all was well; the list was populated within seconds of switching on, even before the GPS had achieved a lock!
It would seem that sometimes disappointing results may be due to transmission failures.

Its a bit weirld that you got anything out of Classic FM (are you syre that it was that station). The built-in TMC receiver works to the Trafficmaster system but you got info from the ITIS system which although on the MIO website say thats where our feeds come from, if you read into it they are deffinately wrong.

I also got an email from MIO couple of weeks ago stating that all TMC stuff for the MIO C710 has now been sorted and will work to a greater level Rolling Eyes (Sure it will)

Dave
ticklepin
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,
I got 'Fox FM ' and 'The Bear'(Touch FM) and others, transiently also, as the receiver scanned across the frequencies.
Sometimes the legend read 'TMC present' though the 'bar' was perhaps only 1/5th orange and also sometimes the dispiriting 'Testing'.
At no time was the 'two little cars' TMC indicator visible.
I don't understand it, or its relevance, but I just hope the observation will help.
Retty
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ticklepin wrote:
Dave,
I got 'Fox FM ' and 'The Bear'(Touch FM) and others, transiently also, as the receiver scanned across the frequencies.
Sometimes the legend read 'TMC present' though the 'bar' was perhaps only 1/5th orange and also sometimes the dispiriting 'Testing'.
At no time was the 'two little cars' TMC indicator visible.
I don't understand it, or its relevance, but I just hope the observation will help.

Interesting. I'm also having problems - have been for the past few days or so (had a week break and started using the C710 about 3 days ago only to find that TMC isn't working).

I seem to be stuck on "testing" with occasional lock on to Classic FM. Today - this evening - I received 11 pages of TMC info but that was only after a long drive. Within my usual home range nothing.

I wonder what is going on - it doesn't seem to be working as it should anymore.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 12 of 14

Jump to: