Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Mio Speedcams again...
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Mio Speedcams again...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:14 pm    Post subject: Mio Speedcams again... Reply with quote

I had some spare time this morning and took a closer look at the speedcams.mtc file in the C510/C710. I have finally worked out the coding of the remainder of the file. This means that if necessary I could write a one-click program to can generate a 'proper' speedcams.mtc file directly from the PGPSW database.
At the moment the program that we have to generate a poiupdate.upd file seems to be an adequate stopgap, until Miomap 3.2 comes along which we've been told will have a proper import facility. If however there is an still an ongoing problem at that point I will finish off a conversion program and publish it.
In the meantime the program that I wrote to list out the speedcams on the Mio is still available at the URL I gave in an earlier thread.

Sal
Palexr
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Sally, that's some effort!

The problem with the PGSW cameras is that they seem to have strange orientations. They are omnidirectional, but when i go to correct the direction the machine doesn't necessarily pick up the correct alignments re the actual road.

Does your system include directional data?
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Palexr wrote:

Does your system include directional data?

No, because it's not in the PGPSW database.

Sal
CeeJay
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi to all.

Palexr
I had this problem with Mio's cameras as well. Couldn't get the arrows in the same orientation as the roads on some of the cameras.
Whilst having the directional facility was a nice touch, I think I'd still prefer to use PGPSW's camera database than Mio's any day of the week, even if we do get warned in both directions.
That's no different to the TT910 or the Garmin nuvi 360 which cost considerably more.
That said, it would be nice to have it working and really put the others in the shade.

Sallyann.
Where would we be without people like you? Thumbs Up
It's nice to know that you have a backup in hand should Miomap 3.2 not deliver.
Nice work.

CeeJay.
amtwap
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:17 am    Post subject: Personal observation about the speedcam database Reply with quote

Hi People !
I'm new to this forum, but I must admit that it was because of reading all the positive comments on here last week, that I bought the Mio C510E last Thursday.
I've gotta be honest and I'm well impressed, especially as I almost ordered a TomTom910 for double the money.

So far I have succesfully done a few mod's:
    Added a new voice
    Changed the notification message for roundabouts at 800m,300m
    Enabled the 'Easy' option on the routes

They all worked fine, and have improved the already excellent Mio.

The last few days I've been researching as much as I can about the speedcams. I'm well aware that the PGPSW database is the Daddy, cos we have used it in work to import into Mappoint when planning our routes. So I was all ready to import it into the Mio.
There are already some tools out there to do so and it was just a case of deciding which one to use .....MioMapUpdater (also known as MioMap v3 autovelox updater) or Speedcams Serveur v1.3.
But before I did that I wanted to check out the MioSync first.

Lastnight I did my first synchronisation to download the speedcam data - I remember reading on another post of a few weeks agao that there were about 8000 UK camera's. Lastnight I downloaded 12279. My first thought was that this is a lot more than the PGPSW data (currently 10179).
So I decided to do some investigations on the camera's in my local area (Swansea), to see how accurate the data is.
It appears that in 1 or 2 cases there is more than one camera in a location where there is definitely only one. It just seems as though the camera has been logged by different users but in slightly different positions. I would have thought that Mio would be doing some sort of proximity check to eliminate duplicate camera's that have been submitted in slightly different positions. The problem I see is that you could get hundreds of duplicates.

Whilst looking at the data I noticed that a lot of the camera's did not have the direction arrows set correctly (it was set to 4 ways). I note Sallyann's post about the PGPSW data does not hold directional data. She also previously warned that if installing the PGPSW data onto your Mio then you should remove MioSync from your PC, otherwise Mio could potentially get the PGPSW data and distribute it via their user base.
I would personally say that based on the number of UK camera's in the Mio database and the lack of directional info on them, that the Mio data is intriguing. (You know what I mean !)

Finally whilst checking out the Swansea camera data I made some corrections to about a dozen camera's and added some known mobile locations. I corrected speed's, moved camera's slightly and set the correct direction on ones where no direction was set. I checked the data files on Mio and the POIUpdates.upd file grew to 3Kb.
I then did another Sync with Mio. Tonight there were 12332 UK camera's. After the sync I checked the files on Mio and SpeedCams.mtc had grown slightly and POIUpdates.upd was back to zero. I refreshed the Mio website page with camera info and it showed the number of UK camera's increase to 12345 - instantly reflecting the updates I had made.
My final check was to go back into my Mio and check the speedcam data I had just corrected/added. All the corrections and new cameras I added were there so I can conclude that the changes I made were instantly updated to Mio and made available back to me (and anyone else who downloads them now).

(Sorry, long post, but conclusion now :D )
Anyway, to conclude I am not going to import the PGPSW databse into the Mio. The speed camera data I have received from Mio is notably similar to the PGPSW data (in my area). The exception is that directions can be set on the Mio data. Therefore if every Mio user was to correct a few cameras, then over a period time the Mio data would have additional information than currently provided by PGPSW database.

But as Sallyann says, hopefully this will all be resolved when MioMap 3.2 comes along and we may be able to easily import our own data.
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Personal observation about the speedcam database Reply with quote

amtwap wrote:

The last few days I've been researching as much as I can about the speedcams. I'm well aware that the PGPSW database is the Daddy, cos we have used it in work to import into Mappoint when planning our routes. So I was all ready to import it into the Mio.

Hi there. You are spot on with all your observations about the Mio camera database - there are many duplicates. I don't know much about the Swansea area, but in London there are up to five cameras shown at a single location. If you want to compare the cameras in your Mio against the PGPSW database, you can use my utility to list them out in the same format. Then you can display them on Mappoint. You'll find the link here:
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=44389

Sal
Swordsmaker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 2:20 pm    Post subject: Major cleanup from Mio? Reply with quote

Hi

This thread has been silent for some time, I guess we flushed out more or less all of the pros and cons of the mio speedcam database.

However something seems to have happened the last week or so.
Looking at the Mio update site the number of speedcams listed have suddenly dropped significantly, for some countries like Sweden I would say drastically.

From breaking the 3000 limit early last week we are now below 300.
(Compared to the 550-570 real cameras)

Anyone know what happened? have Mio suddenly implemented some kind of duplication filter or?

This may be a step in the right direction.
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Major cleanup from Mio? Reply with quote

Swordsmaker wrote:
However something seems to have happened the last week or so.
Looking at the Mio update site the number of speedcams listed have suddenly dropped significantly, for some countries like Sweden I would say drastically.

I haven't used the Miosync facility for some time, as in common with many others I'm using the 'autovelox' program to import the PGPSW UK database until a better method comes along. But I have done some extensive testing of the Miosync system and I'm absolutely convinced that it has bugs. Their UK list has gone up and down in numbers so it is no surprise that you have the same experience with their Swedish cameras.

I'm waiting now to get my hands in MioMap 3.2 to have a good play with it. The 3.2 technical manual that is now on the Mio web site doesn't seem to say anything different about importing POI's or cameras, but we have been reliably informed by iGO that it has a new facility so it will need some investigation to work it out.

Sal
MioC210user
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:39 pm    Post subject: Speed camera warning distance Reply with quote

Does anybody know how to increase the warning distance for speed cameras?

I have used Snooper systems in the past and these can be set to warn of cameras up to 500m ahead, but the Mio only seems to warn of cameras about 100m or so ahead. In some cases, this warning could be too little - so can it be increased in any way?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: