Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tomtom classic upgrade inevitable?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tomtom classic upgrade inevitable?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gkw70
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:23 pm    Post subject: Tomtom classic upgrade inevitable? Reply with quote

Hi,
(Tomtom Go version 6.150/ Map GB+ v571.0)
Owned my trusty classsic for 2 years now - it has served me well. I don't often post - as I don't really need to and I can get what I need from the 'search' function. However on this occassion I have a few 'queries'.

1)As a motorist who clocks up a huge mileage, I make full use of the POIs (including the Camera database). Since upgrading I have found the onscreen POI warnings to be in black and white. Wonder if this is related to the Audi mapcolours I downloaded and use? Anyone else had this?

2)Wondering if the above map is the current version I can use for my Tomtom?

3) Very interested in the TomTom RDS-TMC Traffic Receiver. This would be a real benefit to me. I remember the Offline traffic news poi program - Richard Sutcliffe created (tried it for a while too) So is an upgrade inevitable?

Cheers :D
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The black and white (or transparent) POIs should not happen in a production build - we had that in a few beta versions. Maybe it has to do with the number of enabled POIs.

Current map is 650/660. You'll have to decide for yourself if you want to part with the money for it.

The TMC receiver only works with the x10 GOs - so for you that would mean a complete device exchange, not just newer maps. Question of funding I guess.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lutz, Isn't the B+W icons issue due to the fact that the colour palette used was changed in TomTom's V6 software?
So if the OP is using previously downloaded icons they will be using the old colours. (if I remember correctly, somewhere in a beginners' guide on here it says that you can save time by not re-installing the .bmp files every time).

'gkw70' - Have you tried replacing the speed cam icon files (the ones with the .bmp extensions) with the ones in the latest download package, or one of the alternative sets available? They should show in colour OK.
gkw70
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
Lutz, Isn't the B+W icons issue due to the fact that the colour palette used was changed in TomTom's V6 software?
So if the OP is using previously downloaded icons they will be using the old colours. (if I remember correctly, somewhere in a beginners' guide on here it says that you can save time by not re-installing the .bmp files every time).

'gkw70' - Have you tried replacing the speed cam icon files (the ones with the .bmp extensions) with the ones in the latest download package, or one of the alternative sets available? They should show in colour OK.

Cheers Smile I'll give that a go. You may be right - I usually leave the bmp's alone
gkw70
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably being completely thick, but where can I find the alternative bmp files that usually use?

It used to come in a separate folder within the download. Sorry - but it doesn't seem to be immediately obvious..

Many thanks :D
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "normal" icons are the ones you get whenever you download a new monthly version of the database. You can use those.

As you say, they used to bundle in three or four alternative sets, but they stopped doing that when they started charging (I suppose I can guess why).
I don't know what happened to the other ones, but the ones I did (shameless plug!) :-
........ are available HERE (and have been tweaked so they should work with the latest software's colours).
gkw70
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link. :D

Can anyone help on this - looking for 'tweaked' bmp camera icons, I used to use the Khan set. Confused
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gkw70 wrote:
Can anyone help on this
You have an email.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
gkw70
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldboy wrote:
gkw70 wrote:
Can anyone help on this
You have an email.

Many thanks for the mail oldboy - but aren't the icons from an old database 'untweaked'. I have these already and these are the ones that appear 'greyed out'.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I had to do with mine was load them into a Paint-type program on the PC, along with one that DID work, and tweak the red to the same RGB values.
I think there were more colours in the Khan set, but the principle would be the same. Once you've got them working, I'm sure others would be interested.
gkw70
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have a crack when I get chance. I'm surprised this hasn't been highlighted before though. I always preferred the 'alternative' icons, as I'm sure some others must have as well.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has... Wink
There was a flurry of posts about it when V6 software first started appearing.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gkw70 wrote:
but aren't the icons from an old database 'untweaked'. I have these already and these are the ones that appear 'greyed out'.

Try changing them from 24bit to 8bit.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: