Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - tomtom one or new v2 model
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

tomtom one or new v2 model

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hardtail
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 12:05 pm    Post subject: tomtom one or new v2 model Reply with quote

hi lads in your views which would you say is the better model as my tom tom one has broke and they exchanged it for the newer version but not sure if it is better or worse i have noticed that it has a slower processer but will this make it any worse , should i take i back a demand the original one
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: tomtom one or new v2 model Reply with quote

hardtail wrote:
hi lads in your views which would you say is the better model as my tom tom one has broke and they exchanged it for the newer version but not sure if it is better or worse i have noticed that it has a slower processer but will this make it any worse , should i take i back a demand the original one
If I remember correctly, most places didn't start selling the new model (I think technically V3 rather than V2!) until they had cleared their stock of V1s, so you may find it difficult to find an original. Presuming that you'll be getting the new mount, etc., with the replacement, then unless you've bought any accessories which won't work with the new model, I'd treat it as a free upgrade :D

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: tomtom one or new v2 model Reply with quote

BGF wrote:
.... the new model (I think technically V3 rather than V2!)

Lutz has also said this, so can anyone say why this is so?
If the original "One" was v1, what was v2 then?
thebinman
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the TT site they just call them TT ONE, TT ONE Regional & TT ONE Europe.

We just tend to call them V1 for the old one & V2 for Regional & Europe slimline ones.
clansley
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:25 pm    Post subject: Re: tomtom one or new v2 model Reply with quote

BGF wrote:
I think technically V3 rather than V2

Yup - tomtom home calls my device a "onev3" (in the configuration info dialog).
jblackmore
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: tomtom one or new v2 model Reply with quote

hardtail wrote:
which would you say is the better model ??

I have an original ONE, and looked at the V2 as a friend is after one.

I wondered if the lack of a power socket would be a pain, mini-usb is more fiddly to connect every time you remove the unit from the car, and looks more fragile to me.

Also the new mount looks a bit fisher price to me compared with the old one, which I find excellent - but the review of the V2 mount was very complimentary ?

Regarding the slower processor, I read a newbie review of the V2 on here which mentioned directions after junctions - on my original ONE I have never had this, so wondered if this was just a mapping error, or that the V2 is taking too long to calculate position in some cases ??

As others have said, getting an old ONE may not be easy, but shops must still have old stock so I am sure if could be done, but how you would know which is better for sure I don't know.
Dixie68
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: tomtom one or new v2 model Reply with quote

jblackmore wrote:
Also the new mount looks a bit fisher price to me

Fantastic! Quote of the year there :D
I agree it does look a bit like someone made it in occupational therapy doesn't it? It works though 8)
mlhindley
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: tomtom one or new v2 model Reply with quote

jblackmore wrote:
hardtail wrote:
which would you say is the better model ??

As others have said, getting an old ONE may not be easy, but shops must still have old stock so I am sure if could be done, but how you would know which is better for sure I don't know.

If anyone IS looking for a TT1 'original', then Currys online are showing them back in stock once again for home delivery at £199. (Use the code PERK20 and you'll get it delivered on the UK Mainland for £179.)

I returned my TT1 v2 to the shop at the weekend. For me, the engineering efforts TomTom have expended in order to strip manufacturing costs out of the new unit represent a step backwards in terms of product quality for the user; but hey - you get what you pay for in this life and I'm sure most owners will be pleased with the smaller dimensions.

Had I not previously owned the TT1 'original' I'm sure that I would have been delighted with the v2 for under £200, but as I have commented in earlier posts, the change in routing behaviour and performance proved just too much for a simple boy like me to take!

The 'old' TT1 original is now performing brilliantly for my brother, and my 'new' TT1 original was despatched by Currys earlier today. Can't wait to get my hands on it! :D
mlhindley
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And how could I forget to add... IMHO it's not just the mounting bracket that's "a bit fisher-price"... Wink

Whilst using a mini USB connection for power represents a saving in terms of manufacture costs, I too wonder how durable this 'solution' will prove in practice in the long-term?! 8O

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: