Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Possible cause of mapping errors?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Possible cause of mapping errors?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ispartacus75
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:59 am    Post subject: Possible cause of mapping errors? Reply with quote

I think I may have found a possible cause to the mapping errors.

Using this map CLICK you should see a green road running through the centre of the map. From the top of the map this green road is Borough Road (A552), up to the junction near Highgreen Road. At that point Borough Road turns yellow and continues south (the post office near the bottom of the map is on Borough Road). Yet the A552 changes its name to Singleton Avenue and turns towards the left side of the map.

When navigating this area with TT you would not be given a voice prompt to turn right from Borough Road onto Singleton Avenue as the map is following the same A-Road number, yet traffic lights at the junction of Borough and Singleton have a filter system to turn right.

I believe that because the A-Road classification doesnt change this may be causing some mapping errors, as if the maps are built around road classification rather than road name, yet we navigate using road names.

Can someone with a similar mapping problem look into this and see if the same applies to your problem junctions?

Hopefully Ive made the above pretty clear but you never know Laughing Out Loud
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen something similar recently with an i-GO map. A street is stretching from one city into the next. At the border there is a "ditch" - the street is cut on the map. As a result routing from one city to the other is not possible through that street.

You can use the link in my signature to report map errors.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Bazzer
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Living in Greasby, I know the junction you are talking about, and I can confirm that whichever direction you are travelling; whether turning left from Singleton Avenue into Borough Road, or turning right from Borough Road, TT5 does not give you any turning prompt.

I agree that it considers that A552 is a continuous road without any turns, but on the ground this is not the case. The actual road priorities are different.

Getting the road priorities correct is fundamental to the maps and is something that should be put right.

I have reported many such instances of incorrect road priorities to Tele Atlas, but I won't hold my breath that they will be fixed.

Baz
Garmin Montana 650
Garmin Oregon 45oT
Garmin Edge 1000
Tracklogs Digital Mapping
ispartacus75
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its good that omeone else knows the junction and can confirm my findings.

This is what makes me wonder if the maps and program are coded using road numbers even tho we use road names to navigate by. And until that changes I doubt it there will be a solution to this particular kind of problem.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no, the coding is not done by road numbers or road names. It is done by maneuvres (stretches of road with a constant characteristic). In your case it's a simple surveying mistake.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: