Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - tomtom security pin - worthwhile? [one GB v2]
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

tomtom security pin - worthwhile? [one GB v2]
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
clansley
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:21 am    Post subject: tomtom security pin - worthwhile? [one GB v2] Reply with quote

I see my tomtom supports the setting of a 4 digit pin, but is it really secure?

Seems like a good idea, but I don't want to enter a pin every time I use the tomtom, if a theif can remove the security by just putting the SD card into a PC and overwriting a file (for example).

Any one know how good the security is?
Tumbleweed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: tomtom security pin - worthwhile? [one GB v2] Reply with quote

clansley wrote:
I see my tomtom supports the setting of a 4 digit pin, but is it really secure?

Seems like a good idea, but I don't want to enter a pin every time I use the tomtom, if a theif can remove the security by just putting the SD card into a PC and overwriting a file (for example).

Any one know how good the security is?

Not very, as it will not prevent the TT being stolen, unlike, for example NOT LEAVING THE BLOODY THING ON VIEW IN THE CAR which is where most get nicked from.

Tw
clansley
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: tomtom security pin - worthwhile? [one GB v2] Reply with quote

Tumbleweed wrote:

Not very, as it will not prevent the TT being stolen, unlike, for example NOT LEAVING THE BLOODY THING ON VIEW IN THE CAR which is where most get nicked from.

Tw

True - but is there any value in using it? [if you do keep it out of view etc].

Chris
[I personally never leave it on view - I always remove the unit and mount, and wipe the windscreen. I sometimes leave it in the boot - but that seems ok as my back seats lock into place too.]
Tomo
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just move to an area with less toe-wrags wanting to knick it.

Or of course, make sure every toe wrag in your street knows not to mess with you Exclamation

Steve
Tumbleweed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: tomtom security pin - worthwhile? [one GB v2] Reply with quote

clansley wrote:
Tumbleweed wrote:

Tw

True - but is there any value in using it? [if you do keep it out of view etc].

Chris
[I personally never leave it on view - I always remove the unit and mount, and wipe the windscreen. I sometimes leave it in the boot - but that seems ok as my back seats lock into place too.]

Well, lets try a thought experiment.
1) put PIN in. TT gets stolen. You are now without a TT.
2) don't put PIN in. TT gets stolen. You are now without a TT.

Nope, I can't spot a difference :-)

tw
clansley
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: tomtom security pin - worthwhile? [one GB v2] Reply with quote

Tumbleweed wrote:

tw

I guess it would only make a difference if most tt1v2 users set the pin - then the theif would think "Damn, he has a tt1v2 - no point nicking that" ( ? )
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: tomtom security pin - worthwhile? [one GB v2] Reply with quote

clansley wrote:
I guess it would only make a difference if most tt1v2 users set the pin - then the theif would think "Damn, he has a tt1v2 - no point nicking that" ( ? )
It wouldn't be just TT1's, as all units with V6 can set a PIN.;)

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Tumbleweed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: tomtom security pin - worthwhile? [one GB v2] Reply with quote

clansley wrote:
Tumbleweed wrote:

tw

'think'? Somehow I dont see that happening.

Tw
FazerUK
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may lose the tomtom, but with out a pin the scumbag can sell it on easly, if you have a pin, then will get nothing or very little.

I would like to think he could of got nick for stealing something he can't sell myself
Western_Europe-Map v650.1127
dirtyweeraincloud
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pin is easily broken.

V5 doesn`t support a pin.
V6 does.

Install V5, boot it up, and then re install V6, then work it out for yourselves.

I`ve tested it and it works.
shauneco
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dirtyweeraincloud wrote:
The pin is easily broken.

V5 doesn`t support a pin.
V6 does.

Install V5, boot it up, and then re install V6, then work it out for yourselves.

I`ve tested it and it works.

Thats exactly the reason I haven't put a PIN on mine.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Nope, I can't spot a difference

Thanks, Tumbleweed, for making me see sense. When I first used this feature, in addition to the PIN I also stuck my full name, address and phone number on the "Identity" feature. Took it off when I realised it meant someone could just call round and give me a good smack or nick some of my other lovely toys!! Now I think I may take the PIN off too, as all it's doing is delaying me getting going.
I suppose the way I'll discover that it's a good idea to remove the windscreen mount when I take the TT out (I always do) is by coming back to the van to find a busted window - I'm in and out so many times I fear it would be detrimental to the mount to keep removing it. I'm already worried the spring clip on my TT700 is going to wear out from constant use. It's not fair - I hate scallywags. Although, to be fair, I've not been burgled or had my van vandalised in the many years since the local scally family came to live in the house opposite. Not sure whether it's the "Own nest" syndrome or the frequent visits from the boys and girls in blue!
snoopboy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:31 am    Post subject: Just Lazy Reply with quote

Come on guy's...all these scumbags want is an easy ride

..they steal...they sell...they buy drugs...etc

it's everyones responsibility to try and disrupt them best we can!!!!

Sure remove your tomtom...(always!) but put the pin in...yeah it maybe takes an extra second to bang in that four digit code on a cold monday morning, but better that and your tomtom ends up at the bottom of a canal rather that shooting up someones vein, who also now knows what your home address is because it was stored with the home key!

just think if they manage to get your house keys as well as your tomtom!!! (as shown on BBC 3 the real hustle)

Sorry to go on but ya have hit a nerve!

Embarassed
snoopboy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:33 am    Post subject: forgot to say Reply with quote

BTW I'm on V6.150 now with pin installed!
Tumbleweed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Just Lazy Reply with quote

snoopboy wrote:
Come on guy's...all these scumbags want is an easy ride

..they steal...they sell...they buy drugs...etc

it's everyones responsibility to try and disrupt them best we can!!!!

Sure remove your tomtom...(always!) but put the pin in...yeah it maybe takes an extra second to bang in that four digit code on a cold monday morning, but better that and your tomtom ends up at the bottom of a canal rather that shooting up someones vein, who also now knows what your home address is because it was stored with the home key!

just think if they manage to get your house keys as well as your tomtom!!! (as shown on BBC 3 the real hustle)

Sorry to go on but ya have hit a nerve!

Embarassed

false choice... "better end up at bottom of canal etc"
So how is my tt going to be stolen from the car if its not in it? and in the unlikely event its stolen from my house, then by definition they'll know my home address.
I'd rather the scumbags didnt have me entering a PIN to no effect, they already have me removing the unit and the mount, which is approximately (I guess) several tens of thousand times more useful than entering a PIN.

Tw

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: