Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Who the hell do TomTom think they are?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Who the hell do TomTom think they are?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
raistlin295
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:41 am    Post subject: Who the hell do TomTom think they are? Reply with quote

Well - that's it, TTN6 is off my PDA and TTN 5 is back on.

I'm FURIOUS with TomTom's high handed attitude.

Let me explain.

I use an IPAQ HX4700 and most of my applications are either on my SD card or are linked to data on my SD card.

Having installed TTN6 and got it running, I decided to install it to my own SD Card so that my PDA was fully functional.

You can't do it Sad

When I phoned Tomtom support I was told just that "You can't do it"

So, basically, you HAVE to have the Tomtom SD card in for it to work.

I for one am NOT happy that Tomtom should dictate how I use my PDA and as a result, it's going back and I'm claiming a refund, EXCEPT, it's Not.

The retailer will not accept it back as there is "no fault".

Tomtom will not accept it back as there is "no fault"

Am I the only person who didn't realise that you couldn't install Tomtom like any normal software?

What happens if you don't have a facility for using SD cards?

Am I right in thinking that Tomtom want to drop standalone software in favour of their hardware?

I know this is a bit of a rant but hopefully, it might be the sort of information somebody else needs to consider BEFORE purchasing TTN6.

You know what REALLY bugs me? - You can buy a pirate copy for a fiver from fleabay and it installs wherever you want it :x

God forbid I should ever sink to using pirate software but it makes you think, doesn't it?
pbl
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a rather poor situation. I don't have TT6 but you want to have the flexibility to install it where you have suitable space without swapping memory cards. It certainly would be a sore point for me also. You would also want to make a backup copy. So tell me, why can't you just copy the contents of your card it and paste it somewhere else?

Dell Axim X51v
GlobalSat BT-359 Bluetooth Receiver
TomTom Navigator 5
raistlin295
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter

I tried copying it to a folder on my HDD and also to CD.

It just refuses to install from any source other than the sd card reader of my IPAQ.
moonraker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This post is somewhat thinking aloud rather than any wisdom.

Perhaps if you had purchased the software and Maps of Western Europe DVD you would have been able to install it on the SD card of your choice?

Does anybody know if TomTom are using the "identity" of the SD card as part of their copy protection?
hope68
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Afaik No - the only one who is using this is IGo.

cu Peter
raistlin295
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moonraker wrote:

Perhaps if you had purchased the software and Maps of Western Europe DVD you would have been able to install it on the SD card of your choice?

Except that I didn't WANT the Western Europe maps
moonraker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neither would I really but if it was the only way to have the flexibility I wanted with regard to my SD card etc, then I would be prepared to weigh the benefits up.

Ideally TomTom should make it clear IF this is the only way to achieve the end state people desire.

Perhaps a daft quetion, is there enough room on the TomTOm card to move your apps?

I agree that TomTom seem to dig themselves too many elephant traps.
MikeM132
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Who the hell do TomTom think they are? Reply with quote

I have a Palm OS Treo 650, and before I got TTN6 was told the same thing. This is NOT TRUE. I, also, have a lot of stuff on my SD card that I wanted to share with TTN 6. I do, and it works fine. Here's what I did---
1. copy all the current stuff on my SD card to a folder on my computer.
2. format the SD card totally
3. install TTN 6 from the DVD that came with it (there is an option to "intall to card") Others have taken the TTN SD card, copied ALL the files (including hidden) to a folder on their PC, then copied them back to their larger SD card. Both have worked.
4. copy my SD card files back to the SD card
Hints; do not try hotsynch for this. It is not reliable for huge files like this. Use a card reader (the Palm TTN version comes with one!).
Hope this got to you before you gave up and returned this. It does work, and it is not hard to do at all. Tom Tom tech support does not know what they are talking about. Good luck.
StevePritchard
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm confused what your problem is. This is how I installed TT6 - I didn't see the need/point of TTHome.

1. Copy the map, TomTom, Voices, and Zip folders from the TomTom supplied SD card, to my 4Gb SD Card.

2. Copy the ttn.cab from the 2577 folder to the SD card.

3. Run the ttn.cab file.

4. Turn off the Today screen space hogger, and Activate etc.

Easy.

Cheers,

Steve
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttn6 can be as far as i know copied to your own sd card use the same method as for tt5 just make sure all hidden files are shown first

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
raistlin295
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Who the hell do TomTom think they are? Reply with quote

MikeM132 wrote:

3. install TTN 6 from the DVD that came with it ...Good luck.

TTN6 for UK doesn't come on anything other than their SD card - and the card is nowhere near big enough to accept any other apps or data Sad
raistlin295
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK

I have found that if you copy the entire contents of the Tomtom SD card to the ROOT of your own SD Card, you can then install it AND still use all your other applications.

So it works - Thanks to MikeM132 for the hint.

It's a damned shame that paying customers should be forced to do this though, it almost feels like making a pirate copy Sad
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFAIK that is what you have to do with all TT products. They all have to be installed in the root of the card, None of them will work if you try installing them in a folder will they? The software has to be able to find certain bits in certain directory paths It wont work if you change the directory path by putting the lot in a folder. Or am i missing something?
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
raistlin295
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter

Previous incarnations of Tomtom were shipped on CD, which then installed onto your own SD card, allowing you the functionality you already had on your SD Card.

TTN6, however, being shipped on it's own SD card doesn't allow you the luxury of being able to use your PDA the way you want to unless you fiddle about copying teir files into the root of youre own SD card and installing from there.

In fact, if it wasn't fro the advice on this thread, I wouldn't have got that far as Tomtom's reponse via that which they jokingly call tech support was:- "It can't be done"

When I presented them with my dilemma, I was met with an answer which, paraphrased meant:- "tough - if you are foolish enough to want to use TTN6, you play by OUR rules.

I sincerely believe that they are trying to phase out standalone software in favour of their hardware.
StevePritchard
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even though I've bought TT6 on SD, I think it is COMPLETE INSANITY to supply your software on a non-read-only media when CD is available, and so cheap.

If the price had been the same, except it was supplied on CD, I would still have purchased it (as a 512Mb card is pretty much USELESS to me), and they would have made more profit, presumably. I wonder how much time is wasted on the help-line be people who have managed to knacker the contents of their cards somehow, and require help? I know I've had to help out a friend with a TT One who managed to get their card corrupted - if they insist on selling their stuff on SD cards, then at least provide a backup on CD - it's rediculous.

Cheers,

Steve.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: