Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GTM21 traffic issues
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GTM21 traffic issues
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ocadog1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what is wrong with my Garmin. How I said I didn't see U.K. subscription service on the list of traffic service on my Garmin. I can see: V-Trafic (FR) 3 month subscription and TTN (US) 3 month subscription. Where is for U.K.(Is it a normal that I don't see?)? Maybe U.K. lifetime subscriptions isn't load. Status LED is always yellow (I checked 20 miles around London). Please help me. Traffic information is very important for me.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a legit UK model, I would expect to see a Lifetime Subscription to "RAC Traffic" or similar on that list.

For a non-UK model, I would expect to see a trial (like the other two) listed.

Not seeing anything does not seem right at all, and I would suggest talking to Garmin to see if they feel the unit is faulty.

However, it may be that you are in an area of bad (or broken) signal, and hence the unit has not yet detected the UK TMC signal...

Whereabouts in the country are you (your profile does not say)...
ocadog1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!
Thanx for a help. I bought my Garmin from www.pentagongps.co.uk . I live and write from UK (couple miles from London ...Hatfield, Welwyn Garden City, St Albans...etc.). How I said my LED Status is always yellow (searching signal) and when I choose "Search" in "Traffic" I can't find something new. I see on the service list only US and France. Of course I can add. new subscription but I need a code.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Their website mentions the UK TM subscription, so it's fair to assume they have supplied UK stock (although if you could give me the product code off the GTM unit that would confirm it - it'll be something like 010-00570-02.

However, that's a really really poor area for TMC - which might explain the issue - the GTM simply cannot pick up a traffic signal. Strange, but have you tried driving to Hemel Hempstead - there's a much better traffic signal on the roads between St. Albans and Hemel than around the other towns you have mentioned...?

What firmware are you running on the GTM - from the Nuvi Menu screen, spanner, System, About will list the version....? Also, which GTM unit do you have?
ocadog1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm writting from work so couples thing I can't be sure. First thing code: Garmin part number: 010-00540-00 (so how I know version for US, but I don't have FM Transmitter). Before my order I asked about UK TM subscription...they confirmed! Firmware Garmin is 3.60 , firmware GTM I don't remeber (I can check after 2 p.m.). I have GTM 21. IMO most important is that...Can I expect that new Garmin nuvi 660 (newer used before) has on "Traffic" screen already RAC Service like US and France (these both I have)...Or firs I need find this service in area with strong signal.
ocadog1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

10 sec. ago I found on second forum something like this...
"No, the RDS-TMC unit is the same, Europe or North America.
In the US you have only commercial services, and you need to buy a subscriptions.In France and the UK you ahve both free and commercial services, you can use the free services for free, and you must pay for the commercial services.In the rest of Europe, the srvice is mostly free.". Maybe this answer...plus US code of my Garmin and finally false from shop.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the part number for the 660 itself - have you got a part number for the car charging cable - ie the GTM21...?

The GTM firmware is important, again, not the Nuvi firmware version as some versions won't pick up traffic in the UK (on a new unit) whatever you do!

The problem with trying to work out whether or not the UK should appear on the list before or after it has first detected traffic information is that Garmin have changed the traffic interface (and the subscription section) 2 or 3 times since first releasing the interface, and I can't tell you whether a brand new UK 660 should list it or not (before a signal is ever received).

What I can tell you is that you are in a bad signal area, which could well be the cause of all your problems, and not the dealer at all.

Oh, and the "other forum" is wrong - there have never been free TMC services in the UK.
ocadog1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At first...thank you for you time.
The car charging cable - I only see 10R-023487
Firmware:
-software 3.60
-sound 2.00
-GPS 2.90
-Bluetooth 2.40
I don't see any information about GTM
noseboy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went down to London from Wales this weekend and had traffic coverage about 80-90% of the time.

I now have the Nuvi in the bottom-middle of the windscreen and the aerial going directly up the middle and hooking over the rear view mirror to stick to the ceiling. This seems to be working well for me at the moment.

Cheers
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edited to correct cable type. Also to include URL for supplier.

Well I finally got around to installing an aerial splitter into my (amplified) aerial lead on my VW BORA. I bought a £7.99 DIN 'Y' adapter (part PC5-105 from http://www.nexxia.co.uk/Car_Stereo_fitting_kits/antenna_adaptors.htm) and installed it into the rear of my radio. After checking radio worked I re-fitted the radio, routing the 'spare' end of the splitter to the base of the centre console. I then pulled the black 'terminator' on the GTM21 and wrapped the GTM cable to the centre connector, turned everything on and 30secs later - the signal lock LED went green and I started getting plenty of messages. I never received any meesages from my home before.

Haven't tracked down which station it is. I live in line-of-sight (21 miles) from Winter Hill but I don't believe this is transmitting yet. I certainly wasn't getting reception on just the GTM21 aerial the day before. Went for a short run south of where I live and 4 miles away I was getting nothing. The topography of the land would suggest the the transmitter was to the north and/or west of me (which does include Winter Hill). On returning I picked up a signal at about the same place. So I'm quite a bit happier about the unit now. Will have to try and work out where I am getting signals from. I did do a quick look at the 'hidden' screens and noticed a lot of messages on channel 145 - which I took to be the ones I was receiving. On doing the maths I think this translates to 101.0 - which is Classic FM - so I will have to have another look!
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok - I can't add up. Embarassed 145 = 102.0Mhz = GALAXY FM from central Manchester. This is pretty impressive as the audio quality of the signal I receive is not that good - but it does explain the very localised reception. I am about 18 miles (direct line) from transmitter - but it (and I) are relatively low height and there are higher hills in the way. I used to have to travel some 10-12 miles closer to get a lock with the GTM 21 wire aerial - so well worth the £7.99
inspiredron
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philpugh wrote:
I then pulled the black 'terminator' on the GTM21 and wrapped the GTM cable to the centre connector,

What do you mean, wrapped? I guess that you would get an even better signal if you soldered a 2.5mm or 3.5mm jack plug onto the GTM21 wire and a corresponding socket onto the aerial splitter.
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

inspiredron wrote:
philpugh wrote:
I then pulled the black 'terminator' on the GTM21 and wrapped the GTM cable to the centre connector,

What do you mean, wrapped? I guess that you would get an even better signal if you soldered a 2.5mm or 3.5mm jack plug onto the GTM21 wire and a corresponding socket onto the aerial splitter.

Just what I said - bared about 5cms of wire, tight wrapped it around the active conductor on the DIN plug, taped it in place and tried it out. Next job will be to create a 2.5mm socket on the dash and re-do it - but it works very well as it is - just as good a connection as you get from inserting a plug into a socket. Wink
inspiredron
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the clarification - sounds good. I wonder how well it would work with an unamplified aerial. I have three vehicles, a Volvo, a Renault and a motorhome and don't think any of them have aerial amplifiers. I have wondered about putting extension aerial cables in to have an accessible break under the dash where a GTM10 could be plugged in as required with the connection remade when the GTM10 was not being used. I am told that Y-splitters cause signal losses for the radio, particularly when the non radio end is left open - signal drips out? Laughing
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unterminated leads on a Y adaptor can cause problems with reflections - but at the sort of frequencies we are talking about it's not a huge problem, unless you are transmitting.

You could try it without amplified aerial - I would expect problems only in areas with marginal reception. You can buy in-line amplifiers for aerials - in fact the nexxia link I gave above had one on their site for a reasonable price.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 9 of 15

Jump to: