Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Appalling TomTom Support (again)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Appalling TomTom Support (again)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andygrove
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:27 pm    Post subject: Appalling TomTom Support (again) Reply with quote

I recently broke my XDA Exec Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

However it's still under warranty. Laughing

So O2 turn around the device in 3 days, and I have a shiny new Exec on my desk. I thought - no problem, hardware replacement, contact TomTom and they will allow me to add another device to my account and away I go. So I did this, and then also scanned my delivery note detailing the replacement device, and sent that too.

Now comes the problem.

The XDA exec was the third device on my Account. Part of my job is evaluating PDAs and PDA software. As such I change PDAs roughly every 6 months or so, bought by work. I also evaluate and supply GPS software to about 30-40 travelling salesman across Europe. That choice is currently TomTOM. However, we wil be swapping a lot of the PDAs towards the back end of the year as they are now quite old (Ipaq 5550s). If this is the hassle I will have to go through for each one then I think I will reevaluate our choice of GPS software.

I was told by Tomtom support that I would also have to provide failure documentation on the other two PDAs on my account, even though they have been replaced by newer models, not failed, before they would allow me my new Exec (remember this is replacing a hardware fault device).

I personally have two copies of TT5, and a copy of TT mobile - all legal, and all only in use on one device. They all share the same TT wireless 2 GPS receiver, but Tomtom are effectively telling me I need to buy a new copy.

Most unimpressed. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
wrenben
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're not alone! I am in the middle of exactly the same situation with TomTom.

I had my HTC TyTN replaced under warranty after only five weeks, and like you I had already used up my three "lives" with TTN5.

I only have proof of purchase for the TyTN, but not the previous two PDAs as one belonged to my company, the other was a gift.

I am in the process of obtaining proof of exchange on my TyTN but I wonder if that is in vain as TT have specifically said they "are unable to activate your software for the 4th time until we have seen these documents [all proofs of purchase!]. Please send the required documents and we will gladly activate your software."

Looks like I could be bu99ered!

I have yet to read the TomTom Licence Agreement in detail to check, but I suspect that their position is in breach of the agreement. Now, I am no legal expert, so if anyone has any advice on this I (and many others I'm sure) will be very pleased to hear it.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the other salesmens pdas should be easy enough to change as they the acctivation sequence is this

1 initial acctivation

2 second activation seven days after the no 1

3 third activation after 180 days ie 6 months

further activations can then only be had every 180 days (6months)

it just a pain when you pda change is between the sixmonths period

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
gpssparky
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never had a problem like this and always found tomtom willing to give a new activation code when required. I'm now on my 5th new device and activation code since June last year.

-----------
Tomtom Go 540 Live - That's it.
andygrove
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, to be honest the saleman's devices will be swapped in November and december. If I don't get TomTom working on my device then I will have to go with a competitor to Tomtom, and the salesmen will follow my standard Laughing Laughing Laughing

So ToTOm will end up losing out of this as all the TT6 upgrades from the company will not happen. We have a policy of always being on the latest version (once it's bugs have been ironed out) as that way we find we get the best support from the companies involved.
lupos0_1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andygrove wrote:
that way we find we get the best support from the companies involved.

Joker

Seriously though,

Tomtom customer support is absolutely pants. I have recently been trying to get some support with TTM on my 9300i and because this is not listed as compatible, they told me to go away.

Fair play you might say, but the 9300i is virtually identical to the 9300 which is on the compatibility list with the only difference being wi-fi.
Latest Maps
(Internal GPS)
DaveHush
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had the same thing - O2 Exec replaced but reached the limit of my installations. I emailed Tom Tom customer support, got a reply within a day asking for the old device code, the new device code and the proof of replacement (a rather unspecific delivery note from O2) whcih I sent off, and they emailed back within a day with a new activation code.

Admit it would have been frustrating if I needed the device straight away, but am happy to wait 2-3 days if it keeps the cost down.

Generally always found Tom tom support efficient and helpful - they've not always given me the answer I wanted, but then I can't expect them to change the entire software just for me (although TTN6 looks like it will have extra functionality to solve this one as well :D )
gpsn3wbie
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i personally can't see why your having a dig at their support guys to be honest.
do you expect them to just issue new codes without question?

if they did then no one would buy the software, they'd just keep requesting codes from them for new devices and passing them round all their mates.

ive dealt with them on many occassions on the telephone and havent really a bad word to say about them...they do a better job than a lot of support teams ive had the mis-pleasure of dealing with.
wrenben
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
they'd just keep requesting codes from them for new devices and passing them round all their mates
...and be in breach of the software agreement and therefore eligible for prosecution
Anyway, my experience is that they want POP for all three previous devices....two of which I don't have!
Quote:
I've never had a problem like this and always found tomtom willing to give a new activation code when required. I'm now on my 5th new device and activation code since June last year.
.....gpssparky, did you need to show that you owned all 5 devices?
Quote:
they do a better job than a lot of support teams ive had the mis-pleasure of dealing with
...I hope me and andygrove can uphold your conclusion....
DaveHush
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But surely the device codes for previous devices are on the activation webstite?
andygrove
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gpsn3wbie wrote:
i personally can't see why your having a dig at their support guys to be honest.
do you expect them to just issue new codes without question?

if they did then no one would buy the software, they'd just keep requesting codes from them for new devices and passing them round all their mates.

ive dealt with them on many occassions on the telephone and havent really a bad word to say about them...they do a better job than a lot of support teams ive had the mis-pleasure of dealing with.

Just wondering if you actually read the original post? I clearly stated that it was a harware replacement and that I provided documentaton to support that. i'm not asking to run it on multiple pdas just the one that I use. I am currently having to use tt mobile, which runs on my mpx220, again a legal copy.
gpsn3wbie
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

of course i reaad your OP Rolling Eyes

is it TTs responsibility to support your upgrade path as well as your faulty device repalcements?
andygrove
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it is.

I have bought their software to run on my pocketpc.

If your pocketpc fails, will you be buying another copy of Tomtom to run on the new one? I thought not.

Put it another way, if you change PCs would you expect to have to replace all your software as well? Of course not.

I expect that if I can provide proof that my Pocketpc failed and that I have had a harware replacement, which I have, then Tomtom would allow this device ont my account. As it is, they will have lost out on about 5k business if they carry on with this
gpsn3wbie
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe your right.

perhaps after they issue a new code for your faulty XDA they'll let you wait the six months next time before issuing another code for your next upgrade.
wrenben
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news and bad.....

Good news from TomTom:
Quote:
As a gesture of goodwill, we will activate your product for the 4th time

Great. So I now have TTN5 running on my replacement PDA :D

Bad news from TomTom:
Quote:
If you change your PDA's again and you are unable to provide documents for your previous devices, please be advised, we will not be able to activate your software again

Not great. I had TTN5 installed on two previous devices (before my new HTC TyTN was replaced under warranty) but do not have the proof or purchase for either as one was a gift over two years ago, and the other was purchased in 2002 so forget it! Sad

Yet I get hit with this disclaimer:
Quote:
TomTom would like to clarify that TomTom software and maps can only be installed and used on one device only as explained in the TomTom Licence Agreement, stating that the licence agreement is not transferrable which you accepted before installation of your software.

I had already stated very clearly that I have adhered to the licence agreement and am prepared to provide a written / signed declaration if necessary! Evil or Very Mad

So what do you guys understand as being non-transferrable? If its hardware then why can you activate three times (and possible once every six months after that as some have indicated!)? Question

I really cannot accept TT's position on this.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: