Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - review of 6031-X7?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

review of 6031-X7?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Peter Kessler
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A word about Vivo/PDAMODS/Rikaline UK

After all the concern about the X7, they very promptly and amicably swapped mine for the latest release. This version claims only 10 hours' battery life instead of the 16 in the previous version. It also says the battery lasts 14 days uncharged, as opposed to 114 in the previous version (which in fact only lasted 2.5 days).

The new version has other oddities: still no on/off switch, but instead a button you have to hold for 5 seconds before the unit can make Bluetooth contact. I felt it was still a disappointing product, so I inquired if Vivo/PDAMODS/Rikaline UK might be prepared to swap it for a Fortuna Clip-On. To my surprise and delight they agreed without the slightest hesitation.

They can't do anything about the quality of the products, but they can control their own level of service, and I think it's outstanding.
Firestarter
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same battery problems as everyone else, but found an improvement when I swapped it for a Nokia 3330 mobile phone battery which is identical.
Nik
SHC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
I've just changed from a Navman 3400 to a Rikaline X7. I have to say this set up is far superior. I've had 6 satellites through a bathroom window 6 feet from where it was charging. The battery seems to last about 4 or 5 days with 1 1/2 to 2 hours use per day. I have noticed that if you don't exit TomTom properly sometimes the X7 will not shut down by itself and you end up with a dead battery. Usually it just turns on and off when I start TomTom.
The only time I have noticed any lag is on complex manouevres when the X7 cannot keep up. But this could be TomTom or the iPAQ and not necessarily the X7, I'm not sure.
So far I've no complaints at all.
bdbelly
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 6:23 pm    Post subject: still waiting for x7 review? Reply with quote

I am new to the forums, and maybe I have missed something? I was really hoping to find a review of the X7 - it has been talked about in this thread for more than 6 months now? Will a review ever be posted? I am interested in purchasing a new Bluetooth reciever, but as I am in Asia I really only have a choice between the Holux GR-230, Rikaline X7, and Emtac right now. I may be able to find the Fortuna in Singapore next week though. I do not use it for driving - mostly walking and hiking, and in cities that I travel to for business - where all the road signs are Chinese, Japanese, Korean....and I can't read them!

Should I go for a Rikaline with XTrac, or the Holux SIRF - or wait to get the Fortuna with both? I have gone through all the information on your site, but without a PocketGPS.com review of the Rikaline I am a little lost as to which is the best choice.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a review sample, but guess what... (ahem) it doesn't work. I need to talk to Rikaline to get a replacement sample for review!
nippit
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 1:14 pm    Post subject: fortuna in singapore Reply with quote

Hi did you manage to find any fortuna in singapore.

i am planing to order from USA if you want we can order together so i save on shipment.

please contact on 91053135
F TERCIOGLU
nippit
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I meant we can save on shipment. :P
bdbelly
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi nippit,

I decided to go ahead and purchase the Rikaline before I went to Singapore. When I got there I checked all over Sim Lim Square and found less selection there than here in Shanghai! I was surprised at this - all I found was the Sys-On-Chip model, and for much more than the holux or rikaline here!

I was going to Singapore for a trade show - and turned out the Rikaline (Taiwan) people were in the booth right next to us. I talked to them about it, and the one problem that I had had with the unit - which is really just because their documentation is not clear. When you plug it in to charge you need to make sure that the EXT and BAT light are on - if not unplug it and plug it back in. Since I discovered this I have not had any problems at all with it - but I have been using it strickly for walking and hiking navigation - not for car navigation. It seems to be very sensitive, and I can pick up a signal in many places I could not with my Holux CF and external antenna!

brent

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: