Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Good choice of GPS for local deliveries?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Good choice of GPS for local deliveries?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
danoli
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:35 am    Post subject: Good choice of GPS for local deliveries? Reply with quote

I am after a new GPS to be primarily used for local deliveries collections from customer addresses.

I already have the Garmin GPSMAP196, Garmin GPS-V and the Garmin I3 but am after something a little more dedicated to my needs.

I need the all or most of the following features

Touch screen
Colour
Voice prompts
SIMPLE postcode entry (i3 to fiddly)
SIMPLE saving of found waypoints (i3 to fiddly)
SIMPLE recall or saved waypoints.
Possible address book with other fields (tel, mobile, address etc)
Possible feature to sync the above to Outlook
Ability to input Speed camera datrabases
Input other custom POI databases.

Ideally, postcode entry would be via a touchscreen keyboard, no scrolling letters/numbers, it would be nice for all characters to be present like a keyboard.

I would like to input a full daily route of maybe 10 - 20 addresses, possibly have the GPS calculate the best/fastest/shortest route to hit all addresses in the configured route.

I do not want to use a stylus, must be usable with a finger tounch of the screen. I often have to modify a route on the fly or need to input a new address quickly, the i3 was fiddly, the faster you try to input a postcode, the more likely you make a mistake and end up doubling the time to set your destination.

Any recommendations? I would prefer a Garmin as I have 3 already and would rather stick with them although I would consider an alternative if features were not available on the Garmin.
Tomo
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Im not gonna reccomend a particular brand of satnav as I am biased towards TomTom (have tried Navman for a few days and played with Garmins in Halfords for an hour or more) but none of the units at the moment can "optimise" a route for you.

The nearest you could do is use Microsoft autoroute, enter your start point, waypoints and end point and ask AR to opitimise stops and then transfer these to a PDA either manually or as a Itinary which I think can be done with an add on program. The later way is probably quite fidly to do on a daily basis admitedly. If you knew your drops the night before then could be an idea? I sometimes do this if going to more than 2 or 3 sites a day, just make a note of the order on a peice of paper and navigate to each one in turn.

Cant comment on the Garmins etc too much, but with TomTom you can add POI's quite easily while on route. Takes just a few presses of the screen. You can add a POI or Favorite location by your current GPS position (which I guess would be handy for you), address, postcode, co-ordinates or recent location.

There is an address/phone/number feature in the higher TT's and can even use the unit as a handsfree kit with a compatible bluetooth phone.

Get yourself into halfords and have a play with some of the units.

You can on TT's and Garmin, set a route and then "demo" the route. This will give you an idea of the refresh rate of the screen. Some will scroll smoother than others. On TT's you can avoid part of route (any part of the route) if you know of any local traffic blackspots etc.

Higher end Garmin's may do the same as TT but I cant be sure.

Steve
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get all of that using Tom Tom Navigator 5 software on a Windows PPC 2003 (or higher) PDA. There are loads about - I use an Ipaq which is also a phone.

This unit automatically syncs with outlook (mine came with a free copy) using Autosync. So you get all your Outlook address book on the PDA. when you install TT5 it puts 2 additional options in the address book (when you touch and hold a contact), Navigate to and find on map, choose either of those and up comes Tom Tom and tries to do what you have asked

Thats the good news. the bad news is that is very fussy about the way that you enter the address on Outlook. You can't just write it, you have to call up the entry box that enables you to choose street, city etc, otherwise TT can't recognise which is which. It is also not good at finding addresses such as "Flat B, 56 High Street" because it can't decide what "Flat B" means.
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
Tomo
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterc10 wrote:
You can get all of that using Tom Tom Navigator 5 software on a Windows PPC 2003 (or higher) PDA. There are loads about - I use an Ipaq which is also a phone.

But NO Satnav system will optimize stops for you.

OK, I will be biased now, TT is probably the best system out there, whether it be in the shape of a dedicated unit, or a PDA as suggested above. Up to you which suits you most. All in one phone/pda dont suit everybody as they can be bigger to carry round (embarresing when in the pub etc) and if you lose it, you havnt just lost a phone, you have lost a GPS system/pocket PC too.

Steve
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tomo wrote:
But NO Satnav system will optimize stops for you.

I think CoPilot can - but don't buy CP, it's junk. Evil or Very Mad

I'd recommend that you look at a Nuvi or StreetPilot and get the Mapsource maps on DVD with it.

That way you can program in your destinations on your PC, plan your route and then upload the lot into the Garmin. Sorted.

Alternatively have a look at some of the PDA/SmartPhones out there and get a BT GPS receiver hard wired into your vehicle. That way you can just grab the PDA out of it's vent mount when you go to do a delivery. Some of the dedicated sat nav systems have nice mounts but they scream "SMASH AND GRAB" to every toerag in the area. A PDA on a vent mount looks a bit less obvious.

I'm a big Garmin fan but I tried TomTom and I have to admit that I quite liked it. Confused

Good luck deciding!
Thomaso
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:53 pm    Post subject: Route planning on PC for in-car use Reply with quote

Skippy wrote "I'd recommend that you look at a Nuvi or StreetPilot and get the Mapsource maps on DVD with it. That way you can program in your destinations on your PC, plan your route and then upload the lot into the Garmin. Sorted."

My recent experience with the Nuvi 310D was that having planned a route on Mapsource and downloaded it to the device it was unable to display the route or any of the POIs that I had placed in the file using Mapsource. It did, however, contain the Mapsource maps. What did I do wrong or is there a bug?
TurnerTech
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need a Garmin StreetPilot 2610/2720/2820.

I use a 2610 and this allows you to enter a set of ViaPoints into a route and then it has an Optimise option.

I am looking for a new house and I used this recently, very successfully, to give me a route around 12 house addresses I was interested in.

The only problem with the 2610 is that it can only handle Postcodes up to the 1st digit after the space. You can enter addresses quite easily with the touch screen.

I think the later models 2720/2820 will handle full Postcode searching. I suggest you try the full postcode searching before you buy rather than accept the maker's claim.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have alook at iGO it won't otimize stop for you but it will do muliple way points

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: