Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Speedcams - Mobile locations a waste of time?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Speedcams - Mobile locations a waste of time?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JimmyTheHand
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="trog100]"Or as a warning of erratic braking ahead"

made worse if they have tomtom of course.. he he he

swopping to the voice warnings seems to help.. at least u have an idea of what is possibly there..

far better than one of the default noises.. not so irritating either..[/quote]

The voices are useful - when in a strange area warnings of speed cameras and the limits they are enforcing helps reduce the uncertainty when you see a camera suddenly appear, so I would say having the speed camera warnings reduces the chances of me suddenly braking
dirtyweeraincloud
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I`ve been accused of trolling and criticising about the way people drive. I thought this was a democracy, you know, free to voice your own opinion.

Last edited by dirtyweeraincloud on Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:53 am; edited 1 time in total
chris_w
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dirtyweeraincloud wrote:

I`ve been accused of trolling and criticising about the way people drive. I thought this was a democracy, you know, free to voice your own opinion.

Whether intentional or not - You we're trolling.

Opinions aside look at some of your previous posts. Especially the aggressive one liners and sweeping generalised comments.

Then think before you type - a bit like what you're preaching about driving Wink

Anyway onto the topic.........................

The main reason I find mobile sites useful is when the speed limit isn't clear on the road itself (all too common in the UK). Not to slam on the breaks just before the warning.

The POI's themselves are useful but I have doubts about the accuracy - Mobile cameras are rife in my area - to the point where there were four - yes four - on a 1/2 mile stretch last month.

The actual POIS in the DB have recently been moved/averaged to a point where they would not stand a chance of providing a useful alert anyway

When I can I do send in updates.

I don't blindly trust my life/licence to anything but it's a useful aid, which if used correctly helps, with safe driving.

Chris
dirtyweeraincloud
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That`s your opinion and you are entitled to it.
However, I wasn`t aware that a one liner wasn`t sufficient enough for you to grasp.
chris_w
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dirtyweeraincloud wrote:
I wasn`t aware that a one liner wasn`t sufficient enough for you to grasp.

Oops I've fed the troll Laughing

Chris
dirtyweeraincloud
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who`s trolling now?

That was rather childish, as if that`s the case then you are no better than I.
I think since I cannot get you to understand where I am coming from, then I will step off this string.
Tumbleweed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dirtyweeraincloud wrote:
Who`s trolling now?

That was rather childish, as if that`s the case then you are no better than I.
I think since I cannot get you to understand where I am coming from, then I will step off this string.

Apologies for putting this thread back on topic, which was mobile cameras .........

Drove up the M40/M42/M6 over the weekend, 200 miles each way.
Numerous mobile warnings, in some areas on nearly every bridge. No mobiles on any of them.
Just one mobile was spotted, ironically on one of the very few bridges that didnt have a mobile warning. At one point, unfortunately I cant recall where. there was a mobile warning for what looked like a bridge over the motorway, except it was a railway bridge!

Why not jump to the logical conclusion and just mark every single bridge and overpass and police pull in as a mobile location? They will all be so marked eventually, wont they?

Tw

Tw
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am glad someone has finally pulled this back on topic, in answer to your question with respect to motorway bridges being marked as locations, it is down to the diligence of the users to report errors such as a mobile location on a train track over pass!
I have reported a number of camera locations for deletion, most being due to local knowledge of the specific area involved, if you know a location that is wrong inform the team so they can look into the location and decide the appropriate action etc - Mike
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
I have reported a number of camera locations for deletion, most being due to local knowledge of the specific area involved

I reported a mobile location, having seen a camera van there 4 or 5 times over a few months but it was a couple of months before it appeared in the database. The trouble is that I haven't seen a van there since and I travel that road every day. Confused

It could be that the times I saw the cameras working were non-rush hours and I have just haven't been there at the right time recently. It could also be that they have decided that they aren't making enough money at the site so they moved on. I could nominate it for deletion but just becasue I personally haven't seen the camera there recently doesn't mean it doesn't work there anymore.

Bit of a dilemma. I can see that this is a very difficult one to manage.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only ones I have said don't exist are where a fixed camera is on the database but in reality there is nothing there at the location (very seldom), or more applicable to this thread a mobile site where it is a DOT inspection area, or known vehicle check location (Tax disk checks etc), yes the Police are in attendance - but not for speeding checks. Mike
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with mobile cameras is that you can never tell when they will be at their designated locations.

We had one that used to be outside a school as regular as clockwork. Every day at a particular time. After a couple of months it stopped coming. After a while I was tempted to remove it from the database, then all of a sudden it started turning up again.

Now I havent seen it for nearly a year, but that of course doesnt mean that it doesnt turn up at different times. Which is of course the problem with mobiles. The approach we take when we include or verify mobiles is to try and see if a van can legally position itself... Not always an easy decision.
mussey1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since using the database I have found that I am much more aware of my speed.
Even if the mobile cameras are not all athe location all of the time the reminder from the sat nav certainly makes me take notice and check my speed.
The police do say that they 'want to stop you speeding not catch you speeding'.

Just last week I was driving from a 40mph to 30mph zone. Got the bong from the sat nav and dropped down to 27mph just in case. Came round the corner to see the nice handheld laser pointing at me. I was fine, the guy driving behind me got pulled in!!

Problem is nowadays you don't have to be much over the speed limit to get caught, so I feel anything that helps keep the speed down is a good thing.

Mussey1.
ColinS
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is where the TomTom database scores. Having reported the mobile through GPRS, it only stays on the database for four hours.

Totally agree with mussey1's comments. If ever I was to get caught it would be through lack of awareness or concentration, not deliberate speeding.

The system is not intended to enable drivers to slow down for safety cameras and speed up between them.

Personally I would be in favour of a speed limiter connected to the GPS system and let the driver override it at their peril.

Hopefully before too long, speeding will become anti-social in the same way that drink driving did.

Honda Jazz EX-Navi MKIII
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ColinS wrote:

Hopefully before too long, speeding will become anti-social in the same way that drink driving did.

I'll drink to that! Cheers!
8)
ColinS
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one Andy - Laughing

But don't forget Guinness + Driving = Police

Laughing

Honda Jazz EX-Navi MKIII

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: