Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Speedcams - Mobile locations a waste of time?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Speedcams - Mobile locations a waste of time?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RDS
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Courierman wrote:
you only need 1 or 2 tobe right !! on any road you use to save you lots money and points so i say leave emm in

yes i know some times we all speed 8O even the cops are done for speeding 8O :D

But apparently not if they're caught doing 159mph.Then they get an absolute discharge with no fine, ban or points.
RDS
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tumbleweed wrote:
Courierman wrote:
you only need 1 or 2 tobe right !! on any road you use to save you lots money and points so i say leave emm in

yes i know some times we all speed 8O even the cops are done for speeding 8O :D

There are 5 mobile locations marked between J10 and 9 on the M40, so imagine that say doubling and then being replicated between every junction. You'd be getting warning a minute! Might as well just set a countdown timer on your wristwatch alarm.

I've switched mine off.

Tw

As noted in the other thread the five cameras that were sited between jct 9 & 10 of the M40 weren't mobile cameras but temporary ones placed because of roadworks.
As the works have been completed some, if not yet all, of these cameras have been removed but they are still showing on the PGPS database.

Hopefully these will be removed from the PGPS camera database when it is next updated
algypan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As bmuskett stated about the mobile cameras on the A40 in south wales, I can assure you that at one time or another all of these sites are occupied by the camera vans and they do tend to move around a lot l
Traveller
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that I would rather "drive safely" than be "shot" with a speed camera.

As someone has already said, the temporary camera alerts can be turned off. Choice is a wonderfull thing! Wink
999tommo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RDS wrote:
But apparently not if they're caught doing 159mph.Then they get an absolute discharge with no fine, ban or points.

Dry your eyes man, we've heard enough in various threads about this.. Crying or Very sad

Regularly absent, but still here in spirit !
RDS
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

999tommo wrote:
RDS wrote:

Dry your eyes man, we've heard enough in various threads about this.. Crying or Very sad

If a member of the police service, as you're obviously trying to suggest with your user name and image, it isn't at all surprising to see you'd like to this story buried.It must be a great source of embarrassment.

I, like many, many others feel it to be a great example of the law being an a*s and as such I'll be quite happy to continue to repeat it within relevent posts as often as I wish to.
JimmyTheHand
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dirtyweeraincloud wrote:
Answer:
For those who will not comply with the speed limit.

Or as a warning of erratic braking ahead
trog100
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Or as a warning of erratic braking ahead"

made worse if they have tomtom of course.. he he he

sorry couldnt resist that.. swopping to the voice warnings seems to help.. at least u have an idea of what is possibly there..

far better than one of the default noises.. not so irritating either..

trog
999tommo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RDS wrote:
I, like many, many others feel it to be a great example of the law being an a*s and as such I'll be quite happy to continue to repeat it within relevent posts as often as I wish to.

Advanced Police drivers are trained to a very high standard and the only way to carry this traninig out effectively and realistically is on public roads. There is no point an advanced driver being trained and then never using his skill, until the odd occasion where he has to.

If Police advanced drivers only drove fast when they were pursuing others then this would lead to more accidents because of the likelihood that the driver's skill level would deminish over time. Therefore the effective way to combat this is to occasionally test vehicles to within a relative tolerance of the driver's (not necessarily the vehicles) capabilities. In my opinion, (I hold a class one advanced Police driving certificate, so feel I can comment) this officer should never have been charged with any offence, let alone convicted of it.

Perhaps people in glass houses, rather than throwng stones, should get some traning to the relevant standard and see just how difficult it is to achieve the standard that this officer had done. You would be amazed at how much more in control an advanced Police driver is and how much observation he/she uses, rather than looking as far as the brake lights of the car in front like the average driver.

Feel free to keep moaning if you wish, but until you have the skill achieved where you are in a position to accurately give your opinion, your view is worth absolutely hee haw (Scottish slang for 'nothing at all').

Rant over. I apologise to the PGPSW staff for posting off topic, but I felt a defence of the easy target was justified.

trog100
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes definitley off topic but praps not..

i had my own kind of advanced driiving course.. he he

i earned my living driving a provincial taxi for eighteen years.. i drove in all weathers but most of all i had plenty of time to observe other peoples driving behaviour..

the old fashioned ambulances driver was pretty safe.. the term para-medic seems to have changed this thow..

the fire engine driver.. get the hell out of the way type dangerous...

the bus driver.. pretty safe they dont pull out in front of u even if they look like they are going to.. its part of the pro-driver psychology.. they are trying to control u..

the lorry driver.. safe but inconsiderate.. all he cares about is his schedule..

the white-van man.. skillfull but dangerous..

the panda car type driver.. dangerouse due to incompetence mixed with the "blue light" syndrome..

the trained patrol car driver.. dangerouse.. the training they get does not make them skillfull enough to do the things they think they can do.. arrogant and over confident in their own abilities..

women drivers.. they used to be poor but now they are at least as good as men perhaps even better..

young drivers.. skillfull but lacking anticipation and good road sense..

really old people.. slow but dangerouse at times..

taxi drivers.. i wont comment to much personal bias.. he he

it takes years of practise to become a skillfull driver no training course is going to give u that.. all it does is make u think u are a better driver than u really are which in itself is dangerous..

and after forty years of accident free driving i do not feel safe on todays roads and my biggest "hate" is roudabouts.. he he he

just my thoughts on driving and drivers dont take then too seriously.. he he

trog
999tommo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trog100 wrote:
just my thoughts on driving and drivers dont take then too seriously.. he he

Just as well. At least RDS only upset one group. You've gone for the whole hog ! Laughing

mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on chaps lets get this topic back on track - mud slinging at the Police is not the aim of this forum they have a job to do, a job at times that is not a nice one.
Quite a simple answer to this thread though, if you don't like/ want the Mobile cameras simply don't install them!
Mike
RDS
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the risk of extending the thread I do feel I have a right of reply and my posts have certainly not been mud slinging at the police, just at the apparent inconsistencies within the legal system.

Firstly, I don't believe I have upset one particular group, unless 999tommo has been appointed a spokesman on behalf of a number of people it appears as if the only person to be upset is himself.

Secondly, if it was felt to be an absolute necessity that as part of driver training a driver must be able to drive at speeds at up to 159mph on motorways or 70mph in 30mph zones then the Police surely would make the appropriate arrangements ie closed roads or a test track. Basically so the general public aren't put at risk by vehicles travelling at such high speeds, particularly when driven by someone who isn't familiar with the vehicle.Clearly this so called 'vehicle familiarity action' by one particular driver was not sanctioned or authorised by his superiors.If it had this would have been used in his defence.

Finally, while your decision to support a colleague maybe understandable a BBC R5 Live phone-in the day after the officer in question was discharged received calls from other serving police drivers who took the opposite view to yours.
Traveller
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the risk of perpetuating this argument I would like to point out that the law ia the law and exceeding the speed limit is a criminal offence irrespective of whether the offender is a police officer, prime minister or God. We are constantly reminded that "speed kills" so get off your high horse.

If I shot someone would that be ok simply because I am trained to shoot to kill? I think not!

A police officer breaking the law is the worst kind of criminal given that ignorance is no defence. Twisted Evil
trog100
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we are verging on the political here aint we.. but the very subject of speed/safety camaras is politcal..

they aint called safety cameras for nothing and some attempts have been made to made speed camera detection devices against the law..

"If I shot someone would that be ok simply because I am trained to shoot to kill? I think not!"

that depends who u shoot.. where u are and what u are.. but it could be okay or it could not..

there aint no answer to any of this stuff is there.. each camp has its own viewpoint and from where they sit it all makes sense..

i hope this thread dont get closed but lets not fall out tooo much.. he he he

trog

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: