Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Speedcams - Mobile locations a waste of time?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Speedcams - Mobile locations a waste of time?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dirtyweeraincloud
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tell me what is the purpose of the speed camera data base?
dirtyweeraincloud
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Answer:
For those who will not comply with the speed limit.
dirtyweeraincloud
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next
dirtyweeraincloud
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rest my case.
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dirtyweeraincloud wrote:
I think it is a fabulous data bank, and all credit to all responsible for making it possible to have advanced warnings of actual or potential traps.
If you don`t like the pocket`s version, then simply delete it from your system and drive at your own peril.

dirtyweeraincloud wrote:
Are you all above the law?
Are there no speed limits signs along the roads you travel?

Maybe if all you speed freaks kept to the speed limit, you wouldn`t have this problem in the first place!

I think the troll has come out from under the bridge Exclamation

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
RDS
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dirtyweeraincloud wrote:
Tell me what is the purpose of the speed camera data base?
Answer:
For those who will not comply with the speed limit.

As with a previous post you're once again making wild assumptions based on little or no knowledge.
The database merely provides information, how that information is actually used is purely up to the individual.However for many I would assume it does exactly the same job as the safety cameras themselves i.e. it encourages drivers to not exceed the speed limit in specific locations that have supposedly been identified as posing a potentially greater risk.

Finally, if you want to have a proper adult debate on the subject not only are you in the wrong forum (try 'Pocket GPS Speed Camera Database' on this site) you probably won't get far by asking and answering you're own questions in quick multiple posts.
dirtyweeraincloud
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps the original poster should also have posted in' Pocket GPS Speed Camera Database' on this site.

However, I did praise the excellent work done in making this data base possible, in which I am a lifetime member.

I can`t believe you all got your backs up!
RDS
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dirtyweeraincloud wrote:

I can`t believe you all got your backs up!

As the life member you say you are you would be aware more than most that indulging in trolling is not acceptable on these forums.
dirtyweeraincloud
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

8O
bmuskett
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedcams - Mobile locations a waste of time? Reply with quote

Tumbleweed wrote:

In fact, has anyone actually found a mobile speedtrap in a marked location (other than in long duration roadworks)?

I drove down the A40 from Ross-on-Wye to Newport yesterday. That stretch of road has quite a few mobile warnings, and there was a mobile van in one of the lay-bys.

And there's a marked location near where I work on the A62 Oldham Road in Manchester where a speed trap is regularly parked.
Fraserp
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How to open a can of worms....... by posting on this thread! So why not I thought.

The original posting asked:
"Speedcams - Mobile locations a waste of time?"

IMHO - Due to the significant number of 'mobiles' reported then yes.

For the other categories, great! but not the mobiles! Way too many!

I've used several other systems and I do subscribe to the SCDB, But I have no need for the MWay mobile cams that are listed. Simply resolved though, just delete all of them! There are far too many, and some, reportedly in unrealistic locations to say the least.

The police can put these anywhere they please, so every bridge a risk. I also suspect that when they park up, to have their lunch or coffee and some herbert will report a camera. At the very least, remember they have Vascar and can plot the speed and info without being parked (mobile mobiles? Wink ).

What I suggest is that Mway mobiles are created as a separate category so they can be filtered out. I await the replies...... hey ho....
SatMap
Wannabyourhero
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

going to Wales and back last week amongst the perhaps 100 false alarms were half a dozen real ones where the safety camera van was parked up. As I set my speed limiter to prevent speeding in theory I shouldn't need the alerts but they do provide a reminder to check the posted speed limit just in case I missed a change. I would agree they can become a little irksome when every layby is purported to be a mobile site.
With the proliferation of speed cameras and points I'd suggest that quite a lot of us are now very law abiding when it comes to speed limits.
Tumbleweed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wannabyourhero wrote:
going to Wales and back last week amongst the perhaps 100 false alarms were half a dozen real ones where the safety camera van was parked up. As I set my speed limiter to prevent speeding in theory I shouldn't need the alerts but they do provide a reminder to check the posted speed limit just in case I missed a change. I would agree they can become a little irksome when every layby is purported to be a mobile site.
With the proliferation of speed cameras and points I'd suggest that quite a lot of us are now very law abiding when it comes to speed limits.

have made a follow up post in the forum on speedcam database here
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=46216&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

basic point of which is to ask if its possible to easily remove just the mobile locations, or is the most practical thing to do, to switch off the warning for them?
(best to answer that Q via the above link, not here)

Tw
Courierman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you only need 1 or 2 tobe right !! on any road you use to save you lots money and points so i say leave emm in

yes i know some times we all speed 8O even the cops are done for speeding 8O :D
Tumbleweed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Courierman wrote:
you only need 1 or 2 tobe right !! on any road you use to save you lots money and points so i say leave emm in

yes i know some times we all speed 8O even the cops are done for speeding 8O :D

Imagine in a few years time you drive down a road. Every 200 yards, there is a warning. Every motorway bridge, every pull in, every layby every turn in. You will 'tune out' aftera few minutes (or turn the volume right down so you cant hear it !)

If you dont think this will happen, what would prevent it, if mobile speedcams are added but never removed,? (logically I presume it makes no sense to remove a speedcam location, since obviously there might be one there, one day, but I did ask this Q in the other thread).

There are 5 mobile locations marked between J10 and 9 on the M40, so imagine that say doubling and then being replicated between every junction. You'd be getting warning a minute! Might as well just set a countdown timer on your wristwatch alarm.

I've switched mine off.

Tw

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: