Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Problems with 2GB SD Card
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Problems with 2GB SD Card

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
B0dger67
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:26 am    Post subject: Problems with 2GB SD Card Reply with quote

Long post, so bear with me...

I had my old GO700 stolen a while back and replaced it with a GO510 (a backward step in many ways). I persuaded TomTom to give me a new activation code from my MoWE that came with the GO700 so that I could use them on the new one.

To install the additional maps, I restored a known-good backup of my 510 to a new 2GB SD card, removed the GB maps and copied on my backed-up MoWE. Using the 510 through TomTom home, I entered the activation code they gave and MoWE was ready to go. I copied on some new .itn files and some voices, disconnected and undocked the TT and restarted it.

I got the splash screen, then it shut off. Each time I tried to start it the same thing happened. I put my old flash card in and it was fine so the hardware seems to be ok. With the new card back in I re-docked it and was agin able to use the MoWE through TT Home.

So, I thought that maybe I'd done something wrong or maybe there's an issue with my MoWE and this version of the TT. I formatted the flash through Windows Explorer and then did the restore again. Leaving the GB maps in place I found that the same thing happens - the splash screen comes up then the device shuts down - so it doesn't appear to be a map problem. Again, while docked I can use the installed maps OK through TT Home.

Anyone got any idea what's going on???
julianbarker
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What speed and make is the 2GB card? Where did you get it from? Is it genuine or a fake?
dirtyweeraincloud
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps this might help

http://www.tomtom.com/support/index.php?FID=6178&Lid=1
B0dger67
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses fellas...

dirtyweeraincloud wrote:
Perhaps this might help

http://www.tomtom.com/support/index.php?FID=6178&Lid=1

Tried the flash tool as other posts seem to have it as the cure for all ills - no difference.

julianbarker wrote:
What speed and make is the 2GB card? Where did you get it from? Is it genuine or a fake?

It's a Veho 133x card bought from Ebuyer expressly for this purpose. I haven't tried peeling the label off to see who really makes it, but Ebuyer reckon its Samsung.

http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/114800/rb/21774869587

Yes, it was cheap, but it works ok in my PDA and the card reader in my PC.
B0dger67
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoops, forgot to end Julian's quote above Embarassed This should make more sense.

julianbarker wrote:

It's a Veho 133x card bought from Ebuyer expressly for this purpose. I haven't tried peeling the label off to see who really makes it, but Ebuyer reckon its Samsung.

http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/114800/rb/21774869587

Yes, it was cheap, but it works ok in my PDA and the card reader in my PC.
Macbobby
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there. The same events you descride are similar to an old problem that used to happen with certain 2 gig SD Cards on firmware 6.10,6.11 and 6.12. Tomtom fixed it with firmware 6.15 Smile
B0dger67
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Macbobby wrote:
Hi there. The same events you descride are similar to an old problem that used to happen with certain 2 gig SD Cards on firmware 6.10,6.11 and 6.12. Tomtom fixed it with firmware 6.15 Smile

I can't find any reference to v6.15 on the TT web site - 6.11 seems to be the latest for the x10 series and that's what I have.

Am I missing something?
shauneco
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

v6.11 is the latest version firmware for the x10 serie's v6.15 is for the older x00 serie's.

Their have been some compatibility problems with some SD Cards although mainly the standard speed cards.
Macbobby
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes I remember now I could not get my Viking 2.0GB to work in my new 510 (now returned) on firmware 6.11 so i changed device and upped the firmware to 6.15 and it worked fine. Unfortunately it kept drooping and falling off in my car so I got rid of it and I now have a TT ONE V2. The faster speed SD Cards are supposed to work with 6.11
B0dger67
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So where did you get v6.15 from? I can't see any reference on the web site.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You were right when you posted before B0dger...
B0dger67 wrote:

I can't find any reference to v6.15 on the TT web site - 6.11 seems to be the latest for the x10 series and that's what I have.

Versions above 6.11 are for the OLD models.

Just like the maps, higher numbers do not NECCESSARILY mean newer/better content.
Macbobby
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
You were right when you posted before B0dger...
B0dger67 wrote:

Versions above 6.11 are for the OLD models.

Just like the maps, higher numbers do not NECCESSARILY mean newer/better content.

Indeed. Could not agree more!! Smile As I said before I used firmware 6.15 on the 510 in order to use a 2.0GB SD Card that would not work with firmware 6.11
OrangeJuiceMan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using a high-speed RiData Pro 2GB Card with my 510 under 6.11 - no problems at all. The source was an Australian eBayer who is an authorised dealer for RiData. There are many, many, fake/dodgy cards out there in eBayland and just coz it works with one device don't mean it will work with another - my source (I use him for a lot of memory chips of various types) recently had his auctions 'suspended' by eBay for "naming names" of the fakes suppliers... now there's justice!

OJM
B0dger67
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This came from Ebuyer - not eBay - a very reputable source. Maybe you could let us have the details of your supplier for future reference?

Thanks.
Macbobby
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with sd cards was not a supplier issue it appeared to be a read speed issue. The Sd Cards I used were all branded, supplied in heat sealed packages. I won't mention the brands that didn't work because, as I said, the problem was corrected with firmware. But I will say that my Sandisk Ultra 2 worked on f/w 6.11 no problem Smile

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: