Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Does any Nuvi display the current speed?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Does any Nuvi display the current speed?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nickmon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 1:31 pm    Post subject: Does any Nuvi display the current speed? Reply with quote

Do any of the Garmin Nuvi models offer the option of displaying the current speed on the screen? (If not are there other models that do?, apart from TomTom!)
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, the Nuvi range only displays the speed when no route is calculated - at these times, by pressing on that area will display the trip computer with the speed info.

I'm not aware of many Garmin units will the facility you are asking for.

Out of interest - given that the Garmin's can display the speed, why do you need it permanently on the screen at all times (potentially wasting screen space)?
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Does any Nuvi display the current speed? Reply with quote

nickmon wrote:
Do any of the Garmin Nuvi models offer the option of displaying the current speed on the screen? (If not are there other models that do?, apart from TomTom!)

Yes, but if you are navigating a route then it shows the arrival time instead. I don't know if you can customise this.

Most Garmin units (including the Nuvi) also have a trip computer page which shows your speed in big letters along with a lot of other information.

Garmin's website has manuals you can download - have a look at them and see which one has the features you are after.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Does any Nuvi display the current speed? Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
I don't know if you can customise this.
Just to confirm - you can't customise this.
nickmon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swing wrote:
No, the Nuvi range only displays the speed when no route is calculated - at these times, by pressing on that area will display the trip computer with the speed info.

I'm not aware of many Garmin units will the facility you are asking for.

Out of interest - given that the Garmin's can display the speed, why do you need it permanently on the screen at all times (potentially wasting screen space)?

There are a number of reasons why I like to have speed displayed on the screen and having bveen used to TomTom I have acome to appreciate this feature, which by the addition of a few digits takes up no real room at all. As far as i know the speed displayed by the SatNav is more accurate the the car's own speedometer and it is also ismple more convenient to have that information displayed all together on the SatNav rather than constantly referring to the dash board.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Does any Nuvi display the current speed? Reply with quote

swing wrote:
Skippy wrote:
I don't know if you can customise this.
Just to confirm - you can't customise this.

Ok, that's interesting. On the older units you could customise the fields to show any one of about 30 different values including altitude, vertical speed etc.

It seems that Garmin are slowly but surely dumbing down their systems. :x
portman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Navman N20/N40/N60 can display the speed. You have a choice of either time, speed, dist. to go, time to go, ETA.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: