Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Audi built in SatNav
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Audi built in SatNav

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FROGGY_FRENCH
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:39 pm    Post subject: Audi built in SatNav Reply with quote

I am the owner of an '06 Audi A4 with the built in Sat Nav which I find really good. However, given the miles that I cover I really do need to include safety cameras as a matter of urgency.

Have any of you wonderful people updated the Audi Sat Nav (it's the DVD based version) to include POI's etc. If you have can you please post some help.

Cheers in advance,

Mark
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi FROGGY_FRENCH,

Welcome to the forum! Thumbs Up

My knowledge of "fitted" SatNav systems is poor. I believe that OEM or third party fitted SatNav systems that use either CD or DVD for their maps are not capable of accepting large custom POIs (Points of Interest) such as our camera database, which has in excess of 10,000 locations.

A lot of PDAs that run SatNav applications and PNDs (Personal Navigation Devices) are able to use our camera database as they use storage cards (e.g. SD, CF, etc) that can have the data rewritten.

Can you please check with whoever supplied/fitted your Audi SatNav unit and ask them whether it will take large custom POIs? If it can then the likely format may be a form of CSV (Comma Separated Value) format. However it might be a unique format. You would probably have to burn a new CD/DVD with the map data and the new custom POIs, which would probably not be allowed by Audi or the supplier of the map data (either Tele Atlas or Navteq).

So, to sum up, it’s unlikely that you will be able to use the PocketGPSWorld camera database with your Audi SatNav unit. However please check that your unit can take POIs and if it can then we’ll ask some of the techie people to have a look at developing a file for use with your unit.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFAIK none of the car makers original sat nav units will accept custom POIs, which is what the camera databse is based upon.
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
MikeG
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:29 pm    Post subject: BMW Built-in sat nav & speed camera database Reply with quote

I Have a BMW built-in satnav system, DVD based. Can the DVD be ripped onto a hard drive, the speed camera data base added somewhere and reburned onto a DVD? Anyone had a go?

Cheers
Chris_UK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:04 am    Post subject: Recommend Reply with quote

I would recommend that you get something like a road angle to use as well
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: BMW Built-in sat nav & speed camera database Reply with quote

MikeG wrote:
I Have a BMW built-in satnav system, DVD based. Can the DVD be ripped onto a hard drive, the speed camera data base added somewhere and reburned onto a DVD? Anyone had a go?

Cheers

Not as far as I know. Even if you put the info on there is no way that the software would recognise or be able to use it
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
FROGGY_FRENCH
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the delay in thanking people for their responses but I have been away for a coupla weeks.

I have removed the DVD and looked at its file structure etc. but there are no files that you would associate with any POI's.

In theory the DVD drive should accept a reburnt DVD, after all they will read music cd Backups from CDROM, but without knowing the files to replace etc. it looks like we are resigned to using the in-car sat nav PLUS tomtom!!

Thanks again for everybody's input

Mark
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: BMW Built-in sat nav & speed camera database Reply with quote

MikeG wrote:

Cheers
Sorry, Mike, I missed your original post. I don't have the built in system, so no warranty... , but,

BGF wrote:

Have a look here!

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
BMW330
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:20 am    Post subject: Re: BMW Built-in sat nav & speed camera database Reply with quote

BGF wrote:

Have a look here!

Works fine with Navteq map DVDs and BMW, however there are some limitations such as:

-no audible warnings
-only one type of POI on the screen at a time
-multiple cameras will show up as one
-need a fairly new map DVD (2006-1 or later) and MKIV navigation computer.
-might be complex to configure if you are not technical

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: