Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Warning Tomtom on Orange SPV M600
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Warning Tomtom on Orange SPV M600
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Noony
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:36 pm    Post subject: Warning Tomtom on Orange SPV M600 Reply with quote

Please beware. My old device broke so I resintalled Tomtom 5.21 on my new phone/pda an Orange SPV M600. I got in touch with Tomtom support and asked them to reactivate my new device.

They claim that the Orange SPV M600 is not an approved device and that because of this fact they will not activate it. I tried to stay calm and point out that the Orange SPV M600 is exactly the same as an Imate Jamin or Qtek s200, both of which are listed on their website as compatible devices. They spoke with their supervisor 3 times and each time said "No it's not in the list so it will not be activated". Support got quite aggresive with me saying that I had been on the phone for over 15 minutes and that I was just wasting their time Confused

Here the definition of the HTC Prophet
(from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Tech_Computer_Corporation)

HTC Prophet is sold as the Qtek S200, Dopod 818 Pro, O2 Xda neo, Orange SPV M600 and i-mate Jamin. It is an update to the HTC Charmer with same hardware (TI OMAP CPU, 128 MB ROM) and OS (Windows Mobile 5.0) but supports WiFi 802.11b/g.

I've been told that the only way I can get them to reconsider is to write a complaint letter (snail mail only) to Amsterdam Evil or Very Mad
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgive me, this won't be much help - it's more for my own curiosity...

Can't you perform a manual activation via here and 'mistakenly' identify your device as a supported one? (It may be completely different on a Symbian, I know that's how I activated my Palm).

Isn't it all about reading a device ID # on the device once the software is installed and then using that to obtain the activation code? And presumably if the devices are all the same as you state, you can see the device code once you've installed the code?

Again, forgive me as I'm sure if it was this simple... etc etc

I'm not up on TT history, but they do seem to be very uncompromising; fair enough they might withdraw support, but saying 'buzz off' isn't going to encourage you to invest in one of their PNDs! I know that Vodaphone is offering the Treo 650 now since Palm decided Orange weren't promoting their device; now there's an integrated Nav 6 Treo 650 (possibly to be available through Vodaphone too), you don't think this is about service providers, do you? (No, I have NO idea, just wondering).

good luck!
Noony
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bedbug,

Any suggestions are welcome Smile

If it was a new device you're right no problems you just select one of the other names for the device on a manual activation.

The reason that I cannot do a manual activation is because my software has already been activated (a couple of times) and I only need to reactivate because I now have a replacement device. TomTom are refusing to allow me to reactivate because they claim that the device I want to use is not on their approved list. I had to supply proof of my device replacement once they noted the type of device they simply reponded with "No it's not on the list" Sad

I've had issues with TomTom support in the past. They are very strict with a rule book that is sometimes out of date or wrong. I was very annoyed after getting off the phone from TomTom support (UK Team). They told me that I had been wasting their time for 15 minutes (despite the fact that they put me on hold for 10 minutes of the calls!). The only way that I can respond now is to send a recorded delivery letter to their head office in The Netherlands, as instructed by the helpful telephone support Evil or Very Mad

Maybe I've just been unlucky but I had to chase them about the faxed proof that I sent and they said I never sent the fax. I told them that I had a proof of transmission and then the story changed to we could not read your handwriting. I pointed out that it was all typed so then they immediately said but it's too faint to read.

I did not like the way that I had to chase them for any sort of answer. I do feel like I've just been told to F**k off...
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry mate, It's not good...

I guess TT don't allow owners to de-activate. Actually, why shouldn't they? Then again, no doubt the license probably allows you to use the software, but not to NOT use the software! Maybe one of the PGPS team will see your plight and make a few casual enquiries.

Good luck.
Noony
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom are not disputing that I should be able to re-activate the software because my device has changed and I have proved that fact. The only sticking point for them is that I want to run TomTom on a device that they consider to be an "unapproved" type.
Noony
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least they are looking at it now...

Tomtom said:

We currently cannot offer you an immediate suitable solution for this problem. We will send your question to our 2nd line technical department.

Please be patient and thank you for your query.

Kind regards,

TomTom Customer Support Team

I said:

I have just had a phone conversation with John (your UK Team) and I have been told that my device is not compatible with Tomtom. I tried to explain to John that my device is in fact exactly the same (except for cosmetic branding by Orange) as the 'imate Jamin' and 'qtek s200' both these devices are on the Tomtom website as compatible.

Simple website searches can confirm that the Orange SPV M600 is exactly the same device. For example please look at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Tech_Computer_Corporation

The definition is given as "HTC Prophet is sold as the Qtek S200, Dopod 818 Pro, O2 Xda neo, Orange SPV M600 and i-mate Jamin. It is an update to the HTC Charmer with same hardware (TI OMAP CPU, 128 MB ROM) and OS (Windows Mobile 5.0) but supports WiFi 802.11b/g."

Can you please reconsider your position and allow me to reactivate my new device. I cannot go back to my old device it has been destroyed. I have the Tomtom software and I am unable to use it because you are incorrectly saying that the Orange SPV M600 is an incompatible device.

I look forward to your response.

Thank you.
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a problem already - 2nd line support should have been invlved the moment you expressed unhappiness with their initial response. 3rd line should have been involved long before you felt compelled to post here. At least that is the procedure that, for example, Orange customer support would have followed. The implication is that TT are dealing with such a high volume of complaints that they can't follow logical procedures!

Maybe it's unfair of me to say this, but TT really really have to look at their support standards before this critical part of the operation chokes everything else. When I tell people I have a TT, more often than not the reaction is one of pity - simply because of past experiences.

Anyway, enough of that - it's good that TT support are looking at this and hopefully they'll recognise their error and provide you with a positive response - let us know!
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to say I'm surprised that TomTom could possibly employ someone who is that thick, but sadly, I'm not.
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's not necessarily 'thick' - more likely protocol.

Clearly if you work for TT you're not permitted to utilise initiative to a great deal. It's probably a poorly paid poorly motivated environment where time to end call is more valuable than customer satisfaction.

I called them over my Canary Island map issue. Awful standard of support (in my words, 'ditch your 3 month old product and buy a PND'). I then got an email asking me to complete a satisfaction survey, which didn't read well. Never heard from them. In previous jobs, I would have been immediately dismissed for failing to follow up on a survey like that.

To be fair, what can and can't be done is often set in stone, regardless of company. So your device isn't listed, therefore, 'can't be done'. Problem is the lack of initiative and the defensive stance, resulting in acrimony and an unhappy customer.

The irony is that TT paid someone to offend you and to be unhelpful. TT, if you're listening, you can PM me c/o PGPS and I can be on a plane this weekend - you might just need me!
Noony
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom's latest reply:

The devices have different name because they are from different brands with different settings, different provider information, different ROM version, and this make it different to the ones listed as compatible; those that are not in the list as compatibles are for a reason and it won't work at all or not propertly so we cannot activate and/or support.
May I apologise for any inconvenience caused.

With best regards,

The TomTom Customer Support Team
Noony
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still trying with TomTom. I updated my support question with:

I have spent considerable time investigating this matter, because I do not want to have to buy a new device unnecessarily. I have spoken with Orange, Imate and HTC (the manufacturer of this unit).
All parties confirm that the device is the same and that the only difference is cosmetic branding and mobile operator settings / themes and these would have no effect on running a piece of software that is designed to run on a Windows Mobile 5 device that is generically called a Prophet.

You give the following reasons for not allowing me to use TomTom on my new device:

1) Different settings - these are only mobile operator settings, customised software and themes. Orange confirmed that there is nothing that would make the device behave differently from an Imate Jamin with regard to third party applications.

2 Different provider - Orange state that they do not change any hardware and once again they do not put any software that would stop programs like TomTom working correctly.

3) Different ROM version - Orange confirm that the only difference is their customisation regarding call settings and themes and that the operating system is exactly the same as the Imate Jamin. Imate confirm that they have operator settings pre-installed and selectable and that such settings do not change the way that third party apps run.

Can you please either change your opinion or allow me to run TomTom on what you consider to be an un-approved device with the understanding that I cannot comeback to TomTom with technical issues?

I have been a long-standing loyal customer of TomTom and I have been very upset by your customer service.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

And TomTom responded with:

We currently cannot offer you an immediate suitable solution for this problem. We will send your question to our 2nd line technical department.

Please be patient and thank you for your query.

Kind regards,

TomTom Customer Support Team

Confused GROAN!
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

on the early spv smart phones orange lockedout some third party apps including tt at one point you have to get and an unlock code from orange to get it to work

have you tried telling then youve changed to the o2 version of the device it might work

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
Noony
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a friend running TomTom 5.21 on his Orange SPV M600 so I know that it works without any problem!

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm trying to get a replacement/new device activated to use TomTom, so I had to prove what I've got with a faxed/scanned copy of the receipt.

I could tell them that I've changed my device, but they will just want to see some more proof of a new device or a repair etc.

If anyone has a recent receipt for a i-Mate Jamin that they could scan and send to me I would just tell them that I changed my device in light of the problems I'm having with the re-activation.

If anyone can suggest an alternative to TomTom, I'm now very close to throwing in the towel on this nonsense Confused
Noony
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I'm looking for an alternative to TomTom, what I really need is something with Traffic information, do any of the other navigation programs have a decent traffic system?

Thanks in advance for any help Smile
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please don't ask for a receipt from someone else - they might need that themselves.

I have escalated your issue to our TomTom forum contact. That should work. Stay tuned.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: