Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom One + TomTom Home
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom One + TomTom Home

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
michaelr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:54 pm    Post subject: TomTom One + TomTom Home Reply with quote

I have got the existing version of Tom Tom One and recently paid a visit to the TomTom website for any new updates. As per the support site, it tells me that there is an update for my One system as of May 2006 to version 5.450 http://www.tomtom.com/support/solution.php?GID=1&PID=183&CID=215&Language=1

However when I look at the download page for my product http://www.tomtom.com/support/support.php?ID=3 it then tells me about TomTom Home which I am very new to. After downloading and connecting the device to my pc, Tom Tom Home now tells me that the latest version is 6 which has slightly confused me, where has version 5.450 gone now, or has this been superceeded by version 6?

Any assistance on the matter would be appreciated, I'm just thinking that I've missed soemthing out.

Thanks,
Michael
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

V6.xx is the latest. The reference to 5.45 is just down to TomTom's badly maintained and updated website!

Unfortunately, TomTom have decided to ONLY allow the latest software downloads via their slightly "eccentric" (a.k.a. "buggy") Home software.

If I were you, I would:
1) Do a complete backup of your system as it is now, by copying everything from your TT SD card onto your PC hard disk (making sure "hidden files" are shown in Windows Explorer or My Computer).

Then 2) Download the V5.45 .exe file anyway (before they remove the link!). Install that, using the instructions on the Download page.
3 ) Assuming everything is working fine, do another full backup.

Then 4 ) You can try downloading and installing Home and get V6 via that. If it all goes wrong for any reason with Home, you can use your backups to get back to either V5 version.
michaelr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Andy. Whenever I perform an update on my system I always do a full back up of personal settings and also data backup using the backup facility on the Tom Tom software cd. I did the backup before I installed 5.45 sotware update so I may leave it for a while to iron out any problems.

Will update version 6 be available from that support downloads page do you know, just the update list that it genrated for my system sempt a bit strange which isn't a good start. Now I'm sceptical about whether to update from there or not.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

michaelr wrote:

Will update version 6 be available from that support downloads page do you know

No, from V6 onwards they are only allowing downloads via "Home" (which is one of the reasons I haven't bothered to upgrade - I don't want to be forced into using it).

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: