Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom announce the TomTom One New Edition in Europe
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom announce the TomTom One New Edition in Europe
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KenTomkinson
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:16 pm    Post subject: Speed camera database and warning voices Reply with quote

Does anybody know when the speed camera database will be available for the Tomtom One V2/NE/Regional??? or will the existing database be useable? And when will the warning voices instead of Bugles and Moos be available ?

Does anybody know?

Incidentally, I may hold the record for returning SatNavs for money back.
My original equipment, which I still like best of all, is a PDA with Tomtom Nav5 on it. Of course like any equipment running Windows it crashed whenever I was lost.'Twisted Evil'

I then splashed out on a Snooper Indago but returned it because of poor display, ABC keyboard, inaccurate maps, clunky menus, weight like a brick - I hated it.

Then I bought a Garmin Nuvi 300. Beautiful unit, but it thought it was an MP3 player or a book. As a SatNav, it navigated so much slower than I drive that it was unuseable. After taking a wrong turn, it took so long to recalculate that I had gone wrong again before it caught up. It went back to the shop.

Then it was time for Road Angel Navigator 6000. The menu structure is impregnable. I am an electronic engineer and I never read manuals (obviously) but with this devil, I had to read the manual. The menus are still impossible to navigate. And the map display seems content to use only two colours making it difficult to interpret. And it updates the display so slowly that I was usually past the junction before being told to turn. And it takes about 30 seconds to boot up. And it crashed because it's based on Windows CE. It went back.

I will never again be disloyal to Tomtom, and I'm waiting impatiently for the new ONE.
mx-5tim
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought tomtom one v2 ran version 6 of the software but that all the POIs were still compatible?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Speed camera database and warning voices Reply with quote

KenTomkinson wrote:
Does anybody know when the speed camera database will be available for the Tomtom One V2/NE/Regional??? or will the existing database be useable?

ALL tomtoms use the same system for Points of Interest , which is all that the database is. So the same ov2 files are used for every model and every version of software.
The differences only become relevant when you want to change from the default alert noises, when you have to use the correct data.chk version.
sacd
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any more reviews out there? I really really need one these.
KenTomkinson
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news that the POI databases are compatible.

Does anyone know when the correct data.chk will be available for the alert messages? My two children in the car playing on Nintendo DS's tend to mask the standard bells and boings.
GuidoM
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sacd wrote:
Any more reviews out there? I really really need one these.

http://www.yournav.com/content/review/197/ONE_New_Edition_stylish_renewal.html[url]

This is a good i found.

Also look at the american version on amazon, their are currently 2 personal reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000H866BM/ref=pd_kar_gw_1/104-8291457-1655112?ie=UTF8

Anyone got any more reviews/hig res photos?[/url]
hebawom
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of sites are now taking pre-order with some expected dates:

http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electronics/4-/1135037/Tomtom_ONE_V2_Great_Britain/Product.html
Release date= 20th Sept

http://www.globalpositioningsystems.co.uk/171344?kw=tomtom%20one%20v2&gclid=CMzl7PbzmYcCFQpjMAod3FNpug
Release date= w/c 18th Sept

Exciting innit!!
sacd
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the links.....BUT I WANT ONE NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
GuidoM
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My local Halfords have got 20 in stock. They got 24 today and have already sold 4.
sacd
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've phoned my local branches of Halfords in Cardiff, out of the 3 branches 2 of them are getting deliveries of them tommorow.

So where are you?
MarkBR
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure about this rush to exchange 'old' V1 ONE's for this newer version. It seems to me that its main advantage is it's smaller size, and the fact that is 'new' (plus option of European maps, at a price)

Against that is the lack of a headphone socket (a bigger shame as its even more portable for carrying around while walking) and slower speed which may or not be an issue when loaded with POI's like the speed cameras.

The main driving force is presumably it's cheaper for Tom Tom to manufacture, and thus potentially a lower price point. There's not much reason for existing ONE owners to change.
sacd
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Markbr,
However, I have seen no evidence that the new one is slower in operation than the old one.
I do feel that it is worth while buying the new one over the old one because

it's smaller
it's lighter
newer maps
charges from usb (so I don't have to leave it in the car to charge up)
better mount so the unit does not vibrate.

These are my reasons for wanting the new one.
GuidoM
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sacd wrote:
I've phoned my local branches of Halfords in Cardiff, out of the 3 branches 2 of them are getting deliveries of them tommorow.

So where are you?

I live in Sheffield, but bought mine from Chesterfield in Derbyshire (where i work). I got it after work about an hour ago. Its a great piece of kit, very small, but feels incredibly solid. Menus seem to be fast, nice shading on the new tomtom 6. I'll put up a mini review at some point.
hebawom
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats the price for one of these bad boys at Halfords?
I think Halfords tend to be quite a bit more expensive.

As with the comparisons of the old ONE and the new one, have you seen the pictures of the new one??? It looks awesome!! That's why I'm getting it over the other one!!
bootruss
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

..Just got one, it's the tops!! Just go to your local cuddly halfords and part with your dosh. Just one point tho'. Anyone got any ideas what you have to do to get the celeb. voices working on the new one. I copied them into the voices folder as you would for the old one but can't seem to select them. Any ideas? But believe the hype boys and girls its the dogs do-dahs!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: