Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom announce the TomTom One New Edition in Europe
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom announce the TomTom One New Edition in Europe
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
proctog
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeB wrote:

I am not an expert on the roads in Southern Ireland, but I just randomly zoomed to a small town called Gort (halfway between Galway and Shannon) and that had full street level mapping. Likewise for a town I am familiar with Portarlington. So I would say that there is now genuine full coverage.

I will of course have to do a tour of the Emerald Isle to confirm that statement.

Thanks Mike, that's exactly what I was after. Looks like I will be getting the European Edition then (my parents live in Northern Ireland and we're planning a family holiday in the Republic next year).

I'll be interested to see how the TeleAtlas vs NAVTEQ maps compare for the rest of the UK once a few people have got hold of the new Ones.

Glenn.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

proctog wrote:

I'll be interested to see how the TeleAtlas vs NAVTEQ maps compare for the rest of the UK once a few people have got hold of the new Ones.

Indeed it will be very interesting. Up until recently the Teleatlas maps were better than Navteq in my area. This was not due to the accuracy of the map data, but more to do with the latency in getting a map to market. As we had some major new roads that were opened near me.

Now both TA and NT have the roads in correctly, but the TA data (at Teleatlas) has a bad junction (ie it doesnt exist) in the map. This makes it far worse than roads not existing as the software will try to use the non-existant junction.

Having said that I know that near where Darren is there are a lot of public roads that are marked as not navigable in Navteq. This makes the Teleatlas data better in that area.

So your view of the quality of the maps will be very much affected by the area that you live in or travel to. This may well not represent the overall quality of the provider. Not forgetting of course (as we all do) that for every error in the data there are hundreds of thousands of correct entries. But nobody will ever notice the correct data...
anissut
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how it compares in size with the Garmin Nuvi? Also, there didn't seem to be any mention of battery life, any idea?
proctog
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anissut wrote:
Also, there didn't seem to be any mention of battery life, any idea?

Wasn't two hours mentioned?

Glenn.
GuidoM
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:49 pm    Post subject: When will the New TomTom One go on sale in the UK? Reply with quote

TomTom say it will be September when it goes on sale, but does anyone have a more exact date? I have just sold my old PDA and could really do with buying an all in one unit quickly.
BlueBox
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: When will the New TomTom One go on sale in the UK? Reply with quote

GuidoM wrote:
TomTom say it will be September when it goes on sale, but does anyone have a more exact date? I have just sold my old PDA and could really do with buying an all in one unit quickly.

Also in the same position aslo does the unit come with orignal case
and will the orignal home charger fit the new unit Smile
bootruss
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Halfords say they are going to have them in stock next week!! 8O
n4nick
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys

Anyone know if this new unit will work with the TMC receiver when its released? I am assuming not as there is not mention on the website.

Thanks - Nick
GuidoM
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bootruss wrote:
Halfords say they are going to have them in stock next week!! 8O

Thanks, :D Hopefully they wont sell out too quickly!
andygrunt
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the mini review. As an original 'One' user I have a couple of questions:

1 - The only problem I have with my original One is that it goes bananas if it gets too hot (i.e. sat on the windscreen for a few hours on a hot day). Have you any idea if this is improved in the new version? Will it's reduced size mean it's more prone to overheating?

2 - Your review includes a shot of the unit in the snug fitting case. Does this mean the case is included in the box?

3 - What's the advantage of the new stand design? You call it revolutionary but I can't see any particular benefits except it may be small or lighter perhaps.

Thanks.
thebinman
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.tomtom.com/products/product.php?ID=233&Language=1

shows what's included, extras etc
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andygrunt wrote:
1 - The only problem I have with my original One is that it goes bananas if it gets too hot (i.e. sat on the windscreen for a few hours on a hot day). Have you any idea if this is improved in the new version? Will it's reduced size mean it's more prone to overheating?

This is difficult to tell as it isnt exactly warm at the moment, and I havent had it long enough for that sort of test. I have had it on soak test lying with its back in my desk with no issues for the past couple of days.

andygrunt wrote:
2 - Your review includes a shot of the unit in the snug fitting case. Does this mean the case is included in the box?

The case and lanyard are optional and chargeable extras.

andygrunt wrote:
3 - What's the advantage of the new stand design? You call it revolutionary but I can't see any particular benefits except it may be small or lighter perhaps.

Smaller lighter and with a friction ball this seems to reduce vibration and bounce quite considerably. Also the suction mount is vastly different from any other I have seen.
andygrunt
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, thanks for your prompt reply.

I don't think running the TT1 for several hours in normal conditions would show up the overheating problem. It's likely to only show up in a car on a very hot day. If you happen to notice it (if we get another hot day anytime soon), I'll be interested to hear.

As for the mount, I was wondering if the new design could now allow it to be attached to the dashboard rather than the screen (and leaving the telltale ring on the window) but I guess is still requires a smooth surface. Pity they don't include some kind of widget to all it to be attached to the vent (good way to keep it cool in hot conditions too).

Thanks.
thebinman
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andygrunt wrote:
As for the mount, I was wondering if the new design could now allow it to be attached to the dashboard rather than the screen (and leaving the telltale ring on the window) but I guess is still requires a smooth surface. Pity they don't include some kind of widget to all it to be attached to the vent (good way to keep it cool in hot conditions too).

Thanks.

Brodit I guess?
proctog
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thebinman wrote:
andygrunt wrote:

Thanks.

Brodit I guess?

I'd assume so, but I presume that because of the different shape of the new units, the existing Brodit One mount won't work, and that there'll be a delay before Brodit get one out that fits the new models.

Glenn.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: