Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - EGNOS Test with Q2
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

EGNOS Test with Q2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BeatO
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:39 pm    Post subject: EGNOS Test with Q2 Reply with quote

Hi M8s

I've done some tests with the EGNOS turned on here in Switzerland. As from the EGNOS Page, the two SATs used for Europe (Garmin ID 33 and 39) are now life since about a month.

My tests while driving around and occasionally keeping an eye on the GPS status screen shows that it really uses both of them and gets a lock on them quite often. If so, it show a "D" at the left end of the bar and at the top of the screen it reads "3D differential" with a precission of between 2 to 4 meters. When loosing those two, it reduces the accuracy it thinks it has to about 5 to 9 meters.

The funny thing is, that when EGNOS is turned off, it thinks it's precission is around 4-5 meters while with EGNOS on but without a lock to them it show 6-9 meters. Proves again that this precission reading is to be treated with some kind of scepticism.;-)

BeatO
bumpkin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: EGNOS Test with Q2 Reply with quote

BeatO wrote:
The funny thing is, that when EGNOS is turned off, it thinks it's precission is around 4-5 meters while with EGNOS on but without a lock to them it show 6-9 meters. Proves again that this precission reading is to be treated with some kind of scepticism.;-)

Not that I know a great deal about it but the limited reading that I have done makes me think the following:

Is it because with EGNOS enabled it can only use 10 of the 12 satellite channels as two are reserved for EGNOS function whilst without EGNOS on it uses all 12 thus giving the better accuracy when compared to EGNOS mode without seeing the two EGNOS signals?
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: EGNOS Test with Q2 Reply with quote

bumpkin wrote:
Is it because with EGNOS enabled it can only use 10 of the 12 satellite channels as two are reserved for EGNOS function whilst without EGNOS on it uses all 12 thus giving the better accuracy when compared to EGNOS mode without seeing the two EGNOS signals?

You are correct to say that with EGNOS off it can track 12 sats or 10 with it on (reserving two channels for EGNOS) but the GPS only uses 4 sats to determine your position. Since GPS triangulates your position, it tries to pick the sats that are in the best positions which is why they want to track them all.

When you have sats arranged in a "good constellation" you will get a more accurate fix than if the available sats are directly overhead or they are in a relatively small area of the sky. This is why your accuracy varies at random.

There are other quirks too. Parts of the differential correction data is valid for a period of time after you lose the signal from EGNOS so it can still be used to improve the accuracy.
BeatO
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the other hand, thinking about it some more, the improved accuracy doesn't help in most of the cases anyway, I think.
For one, I use it while driving, so an accuracy of 4-8 meters is good enough "in the open field". And if you're at places without the unrestricted "side" view, chances are you won't get the EGNOS signal anyway.
And while walking, I don't think it makes a big difference eigther.

So unless someone really need a high precission, this is kind of a "nice toy" feature and not what makes the unit a lot better. Wink (And for that, there are probably better units for high-precission measurements 8) )

Never the less, I quite like my Q2! :D

BeatO

BTW: What would the Q2 make better would be a better handling of blind spots, esp. tunnels. It takes ages until Q2 stopps "running around" on the map long after it lost reception. If the automatic recalculation is turned on, this results in quite a few re-calculations. Confused
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BeatO wrote:
If the automatic recalculation is turned on, this results in quite a few re-calculations. Confused

I set mine to ask before recalculating, sometimes I would rather do a U turn if I have gone off route than have it spend ages recalculating...
BeatO
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Skippy

I guess you don't have a lot of tunnels around your place, so the "ask before" setting is probably the best solution for you. Here in Switzerland, esp. in some parts of it, there are too many tunnels and therefore Q2 asks about every time entering a tunnel, if you answer to the call with NO, it sometimes ask another (or even two) time again, although Q2 can't have any reception and is just going wild. Confused

So my solution to that, I've turned automatic re-calculation of completely. If I really need to do it, I can initiate it in about three keypresses myself.

I think, the best would be to have a mode, where the Q2 stops "quessing" very fast when not having a good sat reception and stop running around. But that's probably just a wish...

BeatO

BTW: Entering a tunnel, aprox. 2 secs into it, no bars are shown on the GPS info screen anymore. But the Q2 keeps on "driving" through the map, sometimes at an awfull fast speed and of-road in any direction for about another 10 secs or so. For me, this is just plain stupid engineering of the software causing that, as the Q2 knows it has lost reception. Evil or Very Mad

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: