Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Buying maps for Portugal - get Western Europe maps instead?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Buying maps for Portugal - get Western Europe maps instead?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sugob
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:40 pm    Post subject: Buying maps for Portugal - get Western Europe maps instead? Reply with quote

As it is to be used on holiday soon, wanting to add Portugal [i.e. Iberia] map for the TT ONE V1 [it currently has GB map, bought Dec 2005]. I see Iberia [for download?] on TT plus web site for €60 [~£40] - should I instead just get the Western Europe maps on SD card [£100 on TT, or ~£80 on other online sites] and this will also give me latest GB maps, saving me the cost of the GB upgrade if/when TT finally announce it?

Will these [either Iberia or the WE maps] be the latest [TeleAtlas?] maps that TomTom have now & will I have to upgrade software to V6.15 [from 5.45] as I believe the latest [GB] maps only work with TT 6 - this requirement may indicate if the maps really are the latest [that TT have issued].

I have plenty of space on existing SD card [copied from supplied TT original]

Thanks for any suggestions
thebinman
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Europe SD card v650 will have later GB map than your v605 and you can easily update your firmware/application to 6.150 via TTHome although the Euro map already has this on
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just bought TT1 v2 Europe, which has NavTEQ maps. The Portugal ones are MUCH more detailed than the TeleAtlas map I had with TT5. They were useless around Carvoeiro which I go to each year. The latest ones even show the internal roads in the private complex where we stay.
Ask TomTom if the maps you can buy for your TT1 v1 are NavTeq - if so, I can thoroughly recommend them
Robin
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used
n4nick
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys

I don't think the Teleatlas and Navteq maps are compatible and the TomTom website only sells Teleatlas maps anyway (last time I checked).

Nick
sugob
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although the new TomTom ONE v2 Europe comes with NavTeq European maps, I thought the Western Europe map bought as an upgrade [even for a TomTom ONE v1] was TeleAtlas map - and you have no choice of map supplier, at least currently.

So if the Western Europe map is currently version 650, does this contain the same version of the Iberia maps as if I bought the Iberia only map? I realise this is a loaded question - are these maps any good in the Algarve area? Vaguely remember reading reports that coverage [let alone accuracy] in Spain/Portugal used to be poor a couple of years ago.

As an aside, is the version of TT software [not the map] on the TT ONE v2 European & Local the same. If it is, does this not mean that TT V6 supports both Navteq and TeleAtlas maps automatically?
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be worth asking TomTom. The NavTeq maps of the Algarve are incomparably better than the TeleAtlas ones of the same region that I got 16 months ago with TT5
Robin
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used
TuurG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 6.50 maps of Western Europe and Iberia (both TeleAtlas) are identical quality. They come from the same map release. I can't judge on local accuracy itself.

It's not really TT v6 that supports both TA and Navteq (it does, as v5 did too), but it's the ONE New Edition (and RIDER) that supports both providers. Other models do not accept Navteq maps.
sugob
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your comments. As the query is on behalf of someone else, I'll suggest he gets the Western European maps [and try to ensure it is the 650 version] inorder that he gets the required Portugal map as well as an update to his GB maps with the other countries as bonus.
Looking online, alot of sites seem out of stock of WE map...maybe there is an update due soon?
trog100
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

probaby in demand.. not bad value really.. also an o brainer when u think u get seven 60 quid maps for the price of just over one..

trog
BunnyBallerina
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure you get the latest iberia map. I went earlier this year with the version off the european cds that we got on the upgrade from 3-5 and, around the Algarve, the mapping was next to useless - major towns showing as two roads etc. Think it is fixed on 652
Just wishe I'd checked before i went!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: