Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navigator 6 - What to expect (?)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navigator 6 - What to expect (?)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
weelogic
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that car speedos are REQUIRED to read a certain percentage over the true, in accordance with some European directive. It sounds bizarre, but the comment about it trying to slow us down is correct. In various cars over the past 3 years I have noticed that TT is running about 10% less than my speedo recording, and I don't think that's a coincidence!
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a new Honda and it's only 1 or 2 mph out all the way to 70.;)

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said way back on this topic, why are so many users nearly having a climax because they will be able to see the speed on Tomtom?
GPS World Traffic cameras
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
linknet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be nice to see improved routing and the ability to avoid minor roads in order to prevent this sort of thing happening:

http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=402282&in_page_id=1770

I know the article doesn't specify the type of satnav, but since putting the start and end points into TomTom definitely does take you down Rosemary Lane, then it more than likely was TomTom. Sad

Regards

Roger
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trevor1234 wrote:
As I said way back on this topic, why are so many users nearly having a climax because they will be able to see the speed on Tomtom?

Maybe because TomTom is giving something back they took away in their "advance" from TT3 to TT5?

I wonder how many usefull features they will delete this time?
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would agree with Trevor.

With such a limited display area, I can think of much better uses for it (and the processing power and memory used). Even just making all the other information clearer would be preferable.

There is such a thing as 'information overload' too.
eillo7
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT wrote:

I wonder how many usefull features they will delete this time?

I've found one already - remember the jerky display whenever you switched on POIs? The solution in v5 was to hide POIs and the display scrolled much more smoothly.

In v6 there is no longer an option to show/hide POI (not that I can see anyway). You can still enable/disable individual POIs, but even with them all disabled the display still jerks. Crying or Very sad
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And also agree with neil01.

I usually use Tomtom in a Transit with the PDA fixed to the screen. Some of the information displayed such as Estimated Time Of Arrival etc is a little on the small side and is rather difficult to read when given a quick glance whilst driving in heavy traffic. I would certainly regard that kind of information far more important than the display showing my vehicle speed, as my vehicle speed is shown quite clearly on my Speedo.

I know that its not possible to please everyone about the extras added and the bits taken away when an upgrade takes place but as far as I am concerned the ‘Show Speed’ option is of no importance at all.
GPS World Traffic cameras
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
alan_sh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't you guys speed then? 200kph is 125 mph - easy to do on most big motorcycles.....
dannyoneill
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trevor. I turn off the info I dont need such as speed, remaining distance and current time, the remaining items will then display larger.

Remaining distance I Think is a bit of a waste as I just care about what time I will get there
Quantum
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Remaining Distance and Time, but have no use for Speed as I have one of them handy things called a speedometer. My 4700 is in a Brodit cradle in front of the tach, and so is shaded from the sun, handy to use, and easy to remove/stow in high-theft areas. (swivel the cradle)

I would very much like to have Altitude on the TT screen though. My iTrek M5 wavers in altitude by about ten feet, even with WAAS, but this is better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick. I can tell whether I'm at 100ft or 3,000ft.
Private
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quantum:
I like..., but have no use for Speed as I have one of them handy things called a speedometer.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Good God Man! You actually have a speedometer?! You must be driving one of these new cars with doors and windows! Does it have an engine as well? Damn your lucky! Wink Wink Wink

I'm kidding or course, but I confess I laughed so hard when I read your above comment !! Smile - It's nice to start off a Monday with a laugh!
Private
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

linknet:

It would be nice to see improved routing and the ability to avoid minor roads in order to prevent this sort of thing happening:

I think you are right. In the past TT has led me down some really strage roads in Portugal and Spain (from narrow dirt roads to "horse and buggy trails"!!) and if like me, you're crazy enough to take them, your in for some bad suprises!!!
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes I think that features are added or taken away by marketing men rather than after thought about what is and what is rnot equired.

Unfortunately, we seem to live in a time where hype and spin, rather than common sense prevail.

If only people would get back to what a SatNav is for, which unless I am mistaken, it is to get you from A to B (often via intermediate locations) using a sensible route, I think that we may actually end up with a great product.

Yes, we have units which will tell you your speed, your altitude, play music, give you thousands of points of interest (many out of date) and all manner of other non-essential extras; but are these (increasing number of) features simply there to mask the fact that the reason for buying the thing in the first place - NAVIGATION, is so often barely adequate?

Although TomTom is not my choice of preference, I am well aware that they are the market leader, and what they do will influence the other manufacturers; so I am hoping that the next release of TomTom will see real improvements to the core product, rather than just more 'bloatware'.
linknet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Private wrote:
I think you are right. In the past TT has led me down some really strage roads in Portugal and Spain (from narrow dirt roads to "horse and buggy trails"!!) and if like me, you're crazy enough to take them, your in for some bad suprises!!!

If you are in an unfamiliar area you have no idea as to the suitability of the road you are being directed down. You don't have to be crazy, you just follow the routing and turn down the road as directed which initially looks fine. Then it gets narrower and you find yourself in the situation where it's too narrow to turn round and just go a bit further in the hope it improves. But it doesn't. Sad

And if anyone comes up with the suggestion to check the route with a map then please don't. Having paid around £300 for a device I expect it to be better than a £5 map. It's about time TomTom and their mapping cronies, TeleAtlas, got their act in order. Rolling Eyes

Regards

Roger

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: