Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navigator 6 - What to expect (?)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navigator 6 - What to expect (?)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Private
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:29 pm    Post subject: Navigator 6 - What to expect (?) Reply with quote

I just read a review of the Palm Treo GPS Navigation Bundle with TT Navigator 6.0.
As the TT's Palm and PPC versions tend to have the same features this is probably what we can expect in the future

"Installation of the TomTom 6 Software was as easy as inserting a SD card. Once the card is inserted the installation process starts. It took us approximately 5 minutes for the entire install to complete and then we selected over the air activation. The activation process was just seamless!! Fantastic integration with the Treo's EVDO connection making it extremely simple for even beginners.

TomTom Version 6 provides numerous new and extensive features. What we would like to go over are the new features that TomTom Go owners have been able to experience. Also users should note some of our pictures will show traffic which is part of the TomTom Plus services...

TomTom Buddies
Completely new in firmware version 6 is TomTom Buddies. This extensive, new feature was no doubt inspired by popular chat software like MSN Messenger and ICQ. In a similar fashion, users can see each others location on their units assuming they've added each other to their Buddies list. The Buddies are shown on the map, providing they are located somewhere on the map that is currently loaded on your Treo . If one of your Buddies is located in California, and you've got the USA map loaded, you won't be able to see him, despite him being in your Buddies list. Of course it's also possible to plot a direct route straight to your Buddy.

The showing of the location of Buddies doesn't always happen automatically. Every time something is done online that involves Buddies, your own position is forwarded. If you don't do anything, this automatically means your position doesn't refresh on the unit of your Buddy.

If you want to know the most recent position of a Buddy, you can request a position refresh. This request is then sent to your Buddy. If your Buddy's Treo is switched on, has a GPS fix and GPRS/EVDO connection, his position will be sent to you. This also means that a user has to select himself the Buddy who's position he wants to see. Every time the unit is switched off, the locations are lost and have to be requested again.

TomTomWeather
The TomTomPLUS weather service has changed. Instead of only showing the current weather, the user can now also request the weather forecast for a certain location for the coming five days. By tapping onto one of the shown dates, a more detailed weather forecast is presented. This way, TomTomhopes to provide a more usable service.

Navigating to coordinates
Many users have been requesting this for a long time, and now their request has been fulfilled: in version 6 it becomes possible to directly enter lat/long coordinates and plot a route directly to those coordinates. In case these coordinates aren't located on a road, the users can choose to let the software calculate a route as close as possible to the entered coordinates.

Safety options
The safety options menu has two options: one is the known option for deactivating the map view when surpassing a certain self-selected speed. The other option is new: it makes it possible for the user to deactivate certain buttons while driving.

Change TomTom PLUS account
With this option, the user can enter a different TomTom PLUS account and password.

Ask ETA
When this option is enabled, each time a user enters a destination, the requested time of arrival is asked. After entering this time, the PND shows how much sooner or later the requested destination will be reached.

Show driving direction with local name or exit
The newest TeleAtlas maps (version 2006) hold more useful information for the driver. The changes aren't big, but they make navigating a bit easier. Eg. Apart from the road number, the new maps also show the local/common name of the place. Because of this, road signs can more easily be used as a navigational help.

Show exit with name
With the new maps, exits are no longer numbered, but the actual name is shown. This makes things more clear and leaves smaller margin for error, eg. in case exits were re-numbered.

Show maximum speed
Lastly, the new maps also make it possible that your current speed is shown, together with the maximum allowed speed. If you drive more than 5 km/h too fast, the speedometer turns red. If you drive more than 10 km/h too fast, it also starts blinking.

Traffic
The Traffic part of TomTom PLUS has been expanded. Other info besides traffic jams is now also shown. Eg. road works, slippery roads because of snow, reported ghost riders, etc The four screen caps to the right show a few examples of the notifications you may expect.

Report safety cameras
Another expansion in the TomTom PLUS services is the possibility of reporting safety cameras yourself now. A bit deeper hidden into the menu, there's the 'add camera location' option. This option enables you to report a safety camera, or a mobile speed camera, by means of tapping onto the specific location on the map, entering an address, favourite, recent destination or exact coordinates. You can also enable as shortcut if you wish, and then the 'report' button is shown on the main screen. This way you can immediately report an (until then) unknown camera. The PLUS service also lets you choose weather your device updates its known safety camera's list automatically, or if you want to do the refresh by hand.

In version 6, the menus look a bit fresher than we're used to. For the first time, fluid colours are used. The status bar will also show a bit more colour while navigating. A bit further in this special you'll find a couple of screen dumps which illustrate this effect very good. Unfortunately due to the low memory on the Treo 700w which we tested it on we noticed only 2MB available in system memory. We were though pleasantly suprised to notice the unit does not hang at all! We previously tested the OnCourse Navagator which was not at all friendly with the Treo 700w. With that software we noticed continual lockups and reboots. I have to tip my hat off to TomTom for making this software work as if it had 32MB available..

You can check out the full review at:

http://mobilitytoday.com/articles/palm_treo_tomtom/1.html

Have a nice day!
Quantum
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yikes, this Buddies and Safety Options changes are creepy. Could be used for good or evil.

And eliminating exit number? I liked that, as I know geographically where they are.

Just map updates for TTN5, please.
andy-c1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool if this is what we get i can't wait for it ,long as it works with the xda2i that is
leaskovski
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im still scratching my head as to the tomtom plus rubbish for traffic updates when other software it comes free (apart from gprs costs).
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet it doesn’t get me from A to B any better than TT5. Just updated accurate maps each year would do me just fine.
Buddies? Just a gimmick.
GPS World Traffic cameras
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
realistic
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great gimmick for a Sales Manager. All the Sales Force Will now have the benefit of TomTom and we can see where you are Twisted Evil
weatheryoko
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:48 pm    Post subject: Wasn't there also.... Reply with quote

I thought I remember reading that v6 (with the new TeleAtlas Maps) will also give:
1) 3-D landmarks (i.e. churches, buildings etc) (not a big deal to me).
2) "Lane Assist". Basically, TT will tell you what lane you need to be in make the next turn. For example, if you're on a one way street with three lanes of traffic. You need to go straight at the next intersection, but the left two lanes force you to make a left turn. So in order to go straight, TomTom would tell you "Stay in the right lane ahead and proceed straight thru the intersection."). If this feature is added to v6, this to me would be the most beneficial (IMHO).
elyl
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lane assist, if it is introduced to TT6, will be a big plus, it's something that's sorely missing from TT5. What I'd also like to see introduced is the next 2 turnings displayed on screen, with distances (like Route 66 is it?) I hate hearing "turn left then turn right" when the next turn right could be straight away, or could be hundreds of yards down the line. Sadly, I don't think these things are present in the 710 with the newer software, so I'm not holding my breath for them in the PDA software.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

realistic wrote:
Great gimmick for a Sales Manager. All the Sales Force Will now have the benefit of TomTom and we can see where you are Twisted Evil

Quite, it's not a gimmick for thse areas at which its targetted. I run an IT Consultancy and it'll be very useful to see where my engineers are ;)
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

leaskovski wrote:
Im still scratching my head as to the tomtom plus rubbish for traffic updates when other software it comes free (apart from gprs costs).

Who are you referring to? TMC Data costs money, e.g. there is a licence fee to be paid. In the case of those services that deliver data via GPRS then there is a need for servers and other systems to deliver the data and hence an additional cost. Where a hardware FM receiver is used no such infrastructire is required and therefore the licence fee can be recouped in the cost of the receiver hardware as TomTom will do with the RDS-TMC receiver for the x10 range.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Wasn't there also.... Reply with quote

weatheryoko wrote:
I thought I remember reading that v6 (with the new TeleAtlas Maps) will also give:
1) 3-D landmarks (i.e. churches, buildings etc) (not a big deal to me).

That was never going to be a V6 addition nor was it ever claimed to be. We ran a news item on future improvements such as 3d buildings but this feature is not yet available from the map vendors.
wilburforce
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:24 pm    Post subject: what ever next Reply with quote

It will be interesting to see waht TT traffic does when their FM reciever goes live in a few months. Basically for £70 you will have what they already offer, so either traffic will be cheaper or it will try and offer more.

We wait and see i personally cant wait for the TT GTM aerial.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: what ever next Reply with quote

wilburforce wrote:
It will be interesting to see waht TT traffic does when their FM reciever goes live in a few months. Basically for £70 you will have what they already offer, so either traffic will be cheaper or it will try and offer more.

Sadly the biggest issue is the dire quality of TMC data in the UK and poor reception when received via FM, neither of which are within TomTom's control Sad
andy-c1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

elyl wrote:
Lane assist, if it is introduced to TT6, will be a big plus, it's something that's sorely missing from TT5. What I'd also like to see introduced is the next 2 turnings displayed on screen, with distances (like Route 66 is it?) I hate hearing "turn left then turn right" when the next turn right could be straight away, or could be hundreds of yards down the line. Sadly, I don't think these things are present in the 710 with the newer software, so I'm not holding my breath for them in the PDA software.

you right i would drop all that over stuff just to have that ,i have lost count the number of times i have been caught out on more than 1 lane left/right (vice versa)combo in london area or when tt is a bit slow to follow round the corner
Eldar
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:07 am    Post subject: Re: what ever next Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
wilburforce wrote:

Sadly the biggest issue is the dire quality of TMC data in the UK and poor reception when received via FM, neither of which are within TomTom's control Sad

IMNSHO, TMC-RDS is pants. If you have no idea how reliable the data is as likely to lose you time as save it. My recent long drive from London to the South of Francehas completely convinced me not to buy a TMC-RDS receiver. If it is really 70 quid - it is almost two years worth of GPRS traffic from TT and we all know how quickly TT products become obscolete.

Darren - poor reception must be within TT's control to some extend, if the receiver+antenna are properly designed.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: