Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Upgrading CS6 to CS7 & CN8
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Upgrading CS6 to CS7 & CN8
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bumpkin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:02 pm    Post subject: Upgrading CS6 to CS7 & CN8 Reply with quote

I purchased a used Quest 1 off eBay last week, complete kit including disks, unlock codes etc. for £130. It appears that the previous owner hadn't bothered to register it as entering the code into myGarmin resulted in me being able to register it in my name. A bonus, I hope, unless it allows 2nd user registration in this way. The install disks are pristine apart from a 'pin hole' in the 1st City Select disk which prevents reading by my CD drives, however, a solution to this is in hand. The USB cable was still sealed in it's bag.

I've read here and elsewhere that CN8 has much bigger map tiles when compared to previous versions and subsequently route corridors consume much more memory restricting the ability for trans European routing without relying on the base map. Is this really a problem or is the Quest with it's 243MB of free memory OK, for example, for a trip from Herefordshire to Southern Italy and back via different parts of France and the Alps using CN8?

I've been looking for CS7 upgrade disks on eBay with a view to buying one as a reserve in case the above memory issue is real as the tiles in CS7 are smaller albeit with mapping data one generation out of date. Garmin have emailed me today saying they're sending me CN8, will I be able to add CS7 first and then CN8 without having to pay for an upgrade for either or will the CS7 upgrade not work or compromise the free upgrade to CN8?

My intention would to have CS7 and CN8 available to MapSource so I could use CN8 day to day but have CS7 to fall back on for long continental touring.
Aladdin_Sane
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what i've read you can't use CN8 on the Q1.

V8 on a Q2? Great....If your willing to stop the car/bike every two minutes waiting for the screen to re-draw!

V8 has more detail and poi's but is a massive step backwards in useability in my opinion.

I've had a Q1 for a year with V7 and love it, and a Q2 for only a week and yet I am very, very frustrated with the incredibly slow screen refresh on the 2.

Plan your route on mapsource and then 'Select Maps around route'. That should do ya.
oddsock
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aladdin_Sane wrote:
From what i've read you can't use CN8 on the Q1.

You can use Cn v8 on a quest1 It is CN v8NT that is refered to in these forums that you cannot use....CN V8 is the replacement for City Navigator and is the version supplied by Garmin as an upgrade to this former product.

bumpkin..see my previous posts on maptile size Here and on upgrades Here

If you need to know how much memory you trip will take up ,plot it in cs save it as a .gdb file send it to me and I will plot it in CN V8 .

Dave
oddsock
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to ask this as in your last post on this matter : Is it the Quest setup disk or the Cs disk One of Two that is damaged??

Dave
oddsock
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edit : that should read :CN V8 is the replacement for City Select and is the version supplied by Garmin as an upgrade to this former product.
Embarassed

dave
oddsock
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just just plotted a route from Hereford to Maglie southern Italy..One way to give you some idea ...

Cn V8 = 264.4 MB

Cs V6 = 99.9 MB

Dave
bumpkin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aladdin_Sane wrote:
V8 on a Q2? Great....If your willing to stop the car/bike every two minutes waiting for the screen to re-draw!

V8 has more detail and poi's but is a massive step backwards in useability in my opinion.

I've had a Q1 for a year with V7 and love it, and a Q2 for only a week and yet I am very, very frustrated with the incredibly slow screen refresh on the 2.

Plan your route on mapsource and then 'Select Maps around route'. That should do ya.

Thanks, I'm surprised to hear that the Quest 2 has problems like that as it ships with CN8 now, bit shoddy of Garmin if it's not really usable in the real world. Maybe a Q1 with CN8 upgrade will be just as bad. Even more reason for me to source a copy of CS7 upgrade.

Will I be able to upgrade to this from CS6 for free having just registered my Quest 1 last Friday even if I get the upgrade disk from a source other than Garmin (i.e. eBay). It looks like there's a copy of CN8 upgrade on the way to me from Garmin anyway but will hold off installing that until I can find a copy of CS7 upgrade and install it.

oddsock wrote:
You can use Cn v8 on a quest1 It is CN v8NT that is refered to in these forums that you cannot use....CN V8 is the replacement for City Navigator and is the version supplied by Garmin as an upgrade to this former product.

bumpkin..see my previous posts on maptile size Here and on upgrades Here

Having read every thread in this section over the past few days I've seen you previous posts but was wondering about their impact in real terms.

oddsock wrote:
Forgot to ask this as in your last post on this matter : Is it the Quest setup disk or the Cs disk One of Two that is damaged??

The set-up disk is fine, it's disk 1 of 2 from CS Europe V6 that has the pin hole, has "007-00282-03 RevA A00-10074-03" split over 2 lines at the bottom of the label. Was it you that PM'd me because the message mysteriously didn't show in my PGPSW message in-box!?

oddsock wrote:
I have just just plotted a route from Hereford to Maglie southern Italy..One way to give you some idea ...

Cn V8 = 264.4 MB

Cs V6 = 99.9 MB

Thanks for doing that, confirms what I feared, seems like a hopeless case for the Q1 in terms of future support then. Is there any reason for the larger tiles other than to force users to upgrade to an more recent GPS unit? I'll try and get hold of a copy of CS7 upgrade then. Would like to get some sort of confirmation that this will work and allow CN8 upgrade afterwards though before spending any more...
Aladdin_Sane
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You can use Cn v8 on a quest1 It is CN v8NT that is refered to in these forums that you cannot use

Sorry guys, I stand corrected.

Bumpkin, I gotta be honest mate, don't even bother going for the V8, you ain't missing much. I did a nighshift last night and it was the first time i've used my Q2 in the car. On the way to work I was passing 5 or 6 streets before the screen had chance to re-draw, and the same applied on the motorway. I was that p*ssed off with it I came home at 6 this morning and registerd my Q2 as a second unit via Mapsource 7 and then reloaded my Q2 with Mapsource 7 maps.

What I now really have is a Q1 with more memory, and Speed Camera database capability. My postcode search is now unavailable but i'll sacrifice that for a quicker more useable unit. I'll let you know how it performs on the way to work tonight.

The Q2 is supposed to be an improvement over the Q1. My opinion is that it has failed in a big way. I'm sure others will disagree with me but as I say, that's just my opinion.
bumpkin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aladdin_Sane wrote:
Bumpkin, I gotta be honest mate, don't even bother going for the V8, you ain't missing much. I did a nighshift last night and it was the first time i've used my Q2 in the car. On the way to work I was passing 5 or 6 streets before the screen had chance to re-draw, and the same applied on the motorway. I was that p*ssed off with it I came home at 6 this morning and registerd my Q2 as a second unit via Mapsource 7 and then reloaded my Q2 with Mapsource 7 maps.

That's a bummer, imagine what it would feel like if you'd paid for the upgrade (I use the term loosely) to V8, or did you?

Before you junked CN8 did you try turning map detail down to see if that improved matters at all?
Aladdin_Sane
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
That's a bummer, imagine what it would feel like if you'd paid for the upgrade (I use the term loosely) to V8, or did you?

Before you junked CN8 did you try turning map detail down to see if that improved matters at all?

I gave my Q1 to my son for his new motorbike as the missus bought me a new Q2 and no doubt paid a shed load for it!

I can't really tell her i'm not happy with it can I.

I'll just make the most of a bad situation until Garmin come up with some idea on how to speed things up.

Turning the detail down doesn't make any difference. The Q2 has to uncompress the NT maps before it displays them and that's where the 'lag' comes in.
bumpkin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aladdin_Sane wrote:
The Q2 has to uncompress the NT maps before it displays them and that's where the 'lag' comes in.

It's odd that there appears to be an NT version and a non NT version for the USA, maybe for this reason, looking after their home market maybe? Does your DVD actually say it's CN8 Europe NT, the one on the Garmin site (probably inaccurate) appears to be plain CN8 Europe.
oddsock
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CN V8 in a Q1 is a completely different animal to CN V8 NT in a Q2!!

The redraw times are prety good and the reclculation times are just about acceptable ,its the maptile size and the fact that it is on a DVD is the major issue for me as I have a cheap old laptop that is expendable but only has a CD Rom drive.I am working on the idea at the moment of saving all the .img files from CN V8 on it and loading them with Img2Gps as I need them on route as the program has the option to enter your unlock code before the transfer.

I also have MetroGuide Europe v7 which can be bought unlocked to any unit routable and indexed but not yet tested it enough to rely on.

dave
bumpkin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oddsock wrote:
CN V8 in a Q1 is a completely different animal to CN V8 NT in a Q2!!

That's partial good news though the map tile issue is still a concern.

oddsock wrote:
its the maptile size and the fact that it is on a DVD is the major issue for me as I have a cheap old laptop that is expendable but only has a CD Rom drive.

My laptop also only has a CD drive but I'm pretty sure I'll be able to install from the DVD drive in my main PC across my network.
oddsock
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[/quote]
My laptop also only has a CD drive but I'm pretty sure I'll be able to install from the DVD drive in my main PC across my network.[/quote]

But does that apply once you are on route??
Dave
bumpkin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oddsock wrote:
Quote:

My laptop also only has a CD drive but I'm pretty sure I'll be able to install from the DVD drive in my main PC across my network.

But does that apply once you are on route??
Dave

Surely once the mapping data is loaded onto the laptop it's irrelevant. It would be a full install.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: