Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom's being too helpful (insists on turning Bluetooth on)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom's being too helpful (insists on turning Bluetooth on)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
levman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:45 pm    Post subject: TomTom's being too helpful (insists on turning Bluetooth on) Reply with quote

I'm running Navigator 5 on a Palm Treo 700p. If I start TomTom while Bluetooth is turned off, TomTom helpfully offers to turn the Bluetooth on (and, unfortunately, seems to force a soft reset if I let it do so). My choices to the question are "OK" and "Cancel". If I select "Cancel" (because, for example, I am on an airplane and want to do some planning for a future trip), TomTom becomes insistant: every few moments, the "Turn Bluetooth On" screen pops up again.

Is there any way to make Navigator 5 understand that no means no?
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a Pocket PC you can tell TomTom to use the "Other Cable NMEA" GPS. That shuts it up. Not sure if you have that choice on the Palm OS though.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
dannyoneill
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think the treo 700 runs windows mobile doesnt it?

Yeah, mine turns it on but thats actually good. means I can leave it off to save power and it turns on when needed. no soft reset though :S
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi levman
I used to have the same problem. I raised the topic on this forum and the answer was quick and simple. Download a small program that runs in the background called Btregtweak. I think you will find it on http://handheld.softpedia.com/get/System-Utilities/Communications/BtRegTweak-9059.shtml
Its free and you will never be bothered with Bluetooth troubles again. You wont know that its there and it solves all Btooth probs.
GPS World Traffic cameras
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
levman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trevor1234 wrote:
Download a small program that runs in the background called Btregtweak.

Thanks ... unfortunately, I'm running a Treo 700p, which is PalmOS-based (the 700w runs Windows Mobile).
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi levman
Sorry. I should have been more awake.
GPS World Traffic cameras
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
Jlunt
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Levman.

I'm running TomTom5 on a Pocket PC so this may not help you but I also find that TomTom switches on Bluetooth and keeps popping up the Bluetooth Console every few seconds.

The way I get round it is to 'switch' back to TomTom rather than click "cancel" on the Console.

I can do this by clicking in the very top left corner (to drop down the windows menu) and then clicking on the TomTom icon. TomTom then seems content that the Console is still open (albeit in the background)!

I don't know if you can also find a way of leaving Bluetooth on but switching back to TomTom without having to choose a GPS device...
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Levman -

Sorry to hear about the 700p resets! I'm on a Treo 650 and if I got the reset I'd be miffed too!

The way I defeat TT's assistance with Bluetooth is to use a Palm App called BtToggle Pro
- you might want to drop them a line to check 700p compatibility.

Now if you think Bluetooth is bad, try subscribing to TomTom Traffic - everytime I run Nav 5 it automatically switches on the radio (ie GSM) - just what you need on an aircraft!! Setting a pin for enabling the radio is the only way I've managed to 'handle' the situation - but it really would be nice to have some way of controlling Nav 5's attempts to rule the world!!

Crying or Very sad
levman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jlunt and Bedbug, thanks for the suggestions.

bedbug wrote:
The way I defeat TT's assistance with Bluetooth is to use a Palm App called BtToggle Pro

BtToggle sounds like it could be useful ... how does it work with a Bluetooth headset?
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

levman wrote:

BtToggle sounds like it could be useful ... how does it work with a Bluetooth headset?

Basically you can set up, on an application by application basis, whether the Treo lies about Bluetooth being on or not. In the case of TT, Nav5 never 'helps' by putting bluetooth on because you set BtToggle to tell Nav5 that Bluetooth is already on (and you manually switch it on when you want it to be); all other apps continue to work as though BtToggle wasn't running (so manually turn BT on to work with a headset).

My only concern for you is that if you look at the site (see original post) the app was written for a previous generation of Palm devices. There's a link to download a 'Treo 650 Beta' which seem to work fine - but I don't know how dramatically different BT is on the 700P.
levman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bedbug wrote:
My only concern for you is that if you look at the site (see original post) the app was written for a previous generation of Palm devices. There's a link to download a 'Treo 650 Beta' which seem to work fine - but I don't know how dramatically different BT is on the 700P.

Thanks for the info ... I sent them an email asking whether their product works with the 700p ... I will report back what they say.

As I write this, I am sitting in the kitchen trying to program POIs in TomTom for an upcoming trip ... and getting VERY frustrated by having the bluetooth "Discovery Results" screen pop up every couple of minutes because TomTom is SO insistant that I of course I MUST need to connect to a bluetooth device ... I suppose I could go grab my receiver and turn it on, just to make TomTom stop being so helpful ... in the long run, BtToggle sounds like a great solution to this problem.
levman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wrote:
I sent them an email asking whether their product works with the 700p ... I will report back what they say.

Darn ... got a response back ... BtToggle Pro is not supported on the 700p.
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

levman wrote:
got a response back ... BtToggle Pro is not supported on the 700p.

Pooo! Crying

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: