Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New maps worth it ????
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New maps worth it ????
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We all go on about problems with Postcodes, but we must remember that they were designed for efficient mail delivery. While the number of properties in a single postcode is usually limited to a maximum (around 40 I think), if it is more efficient for the (walking) postman to deliver to one side of a street, do an other street (or even streets) before returning to the other side of the first street, each side of the first street will probably not have the same postcode.

Now where I have seen multiple postcodes for the same street (I once had to find and add postcodes to addresses using Post Office supplied books - all two shelves of them!) I have never actually come accross a Postcode which refers to more than one street.

Is it an urban myth?

If anyone knows of such a beast, please post it; it would be so useful for testing.

PS I am not talking about situations where a satnav (usually Navteq based) returns several streets for a single Postcode. This is an error with either the data, or how it is used - the 'additional' streets do not share the same postcode in all the examples I have seen, they have just been adjacent streets which have had their own (and unique) postcode.
TonyHoyle
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RDS wrote:
However as I've already noted I believe a postcode search goes to the approx centre of that particular postcode.

Postcodes don't cover a defined geographic area as such.. they cover 1 or more streets, and the boundaries are defined by house (and even flat) numbers, where available, house/company names where not.

The TT postcode does in fact ask for house numbers but doesn't offer a selection of streets and doesn't understand building names or flats. Normally postcode lookup systems will offer a selection of full addresses once you've entered a postcode, and allow you to select them.

eg. for my postcode TT have thrown away the flat/street selection data and navigate to a number on the neighbouring road - which is about 300 yards away from where it should be. There is currently no way of navigating to my house on a tomtom.
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TonyHoyle wrote:
...Postcodes don't cover a defined geographic area as such.. they cover 1 or more streets, ...

We hear that Postcodes can cover more than one street so often, but can anyone (please) come up with an example of one.
nudda
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the insight guys

I guess my point is that if a Garmin i3 can find what Im looking for then why cant a Tomtom 910 ? If you read earlier someone has tried the postcode in their i3 and it gives them the correct street (cannon street). Why cant the tomtom do the same ? Is it trying to be too clever for itself ?
TonyHoyle
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They've just thrown away too much information and are confusing themselves.

It's even possible that they've tried to map postcodes to GPS coordinates and the mapping is slightly inexact.. that would be a roundabout way of doing it though.

I don't have access to the pafdata file any more but there are a number of examples of a postcode covering multiple streets.. I remember I had to write the code to handle it :p
princeofpeace
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well...just found out that map updates will be available soon....unable to give price and apparently TT staff going for training before released 8O
nudda
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tony.

Oh yeh thats another thing, seeing as it couldnt find the correct road via post code I went onto google earth, pinpointed where I wanted to go to get Long/Lat values and put it into the tomtom. Guess wot ... it came out with yet another road (diff to what I want and what it was finding when I entered the post code). Im sure google earth is pretty accurate so it seems the tomtom loses ... again. Rolling Eyes
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not so sure about the accuracy bof Google Earth. I use the road overlay and sometimes it gets itself offset from the pictures.
Western Europe Map
Eastern Europe Map
Kenwood DNX-4210DAB with Garmin maps
nudda
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

never overlapped for me and I use earth a lot. But yeh, point taken.
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nudda wrote:
Well, the postcode I type in is :-

EC4N 6HT

It should equate to "Canon Street" (and I am 100% sure this street is canon street) but the tomtom spits out "Bush Lane"

Interestingly software version 5.21 map version 632 (TTN) does return Cannon Street.
nudda wrote:
I am using maps version 6.100 (If I am not mistaken)
I think that is the software version, not the map version.
nudda wrote:

Interesting how Cannon street is further down the list and corresponds to different post codes hmmm Is there something Im missing out about postcodes in my 22 years in the UK Rolling Eyes
In my case, EC4N6AE, EC4N6AP, EC4N6AQ, EC4N6AS, EC4N6EP, EC4N6HT, EC4N6JJ & EC4N6LR all relate to (different parts of) Cannon Street.

Can we see the map location it gives you?

nudda wrote:
Thanks for the insight guys

I guess my point is that if a Garmin i3 can find what Im looking for then why cant a Tomtom 910 ? If you read earlier someone has tried the postcode in their i3 and it gives them the correct street (cannon street). Why cant the tomtom do the same ? Is it trying to be too clever for itself ?
I appreciate that if it directed you to the wrong end of town it would be a problem, but if you had followed the TomTom directions, would you really not be able to find your way round the corner?

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
nudda
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I got to software version information it says :-

App 6.110
GPS v1.21, Boot 4.29
Map : 'Western_and_Central_Europe' v650.1052

Are there any maps better than what I have already ?

Map location of EC4N 6HT will be uploaded in just a moment ...

Well, the problem is that as most roads in central london are one way, if it takes me on the wrong street ... the one I want to might be around the corner but a mission to get to with the one way system. Hence if it took me to the right one to start off with then both tomtom and me would be happy Smile
nudda
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ColinS
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I appreciate that if it directed you to the wrong end of town it would be a problem, but if you had followed the TomTom directions, would you really not be able to find your way round the corner?

That's all very well if you're walking. Driving in London in somewhat different.

Honda Jazz EX-Navi MKIII
nudda
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ColinS wrote:
Quote:

That's all very well if you're walking. Driving in London in somewhat different.

exactly
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nudda wrote:
When I got to software version information it says :-

App 6.110
GPS v1.21, Boot 4.29
Map : 'Western_and_Central_Europe' v650.1052

Are there any maps better than what I have already ?
I think that there may be a new version of the application, but I doubt that there is a new map version yet. I'm not clear on how the postcodes are handled, entirely in the application, entirely in the map data, or a combination, so updating to the latest version might be worthwhile.

nudda wrote:
Map location of EC4N 6HT will be uploaded in just a moment ...

Well, the problem is that as most roads in central london are one way, if it takes me on the wrong street ... the one I want to might be around the corner but a mission to get to with the one way system.
Sorry, as Wurzel Gummidge would say, "I didn't have my London driving head on!!"
nudda wrote:
Hence if it took me to the right one to start off with then both tomtom and me would be happy Smile
Agreed Exclamation

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: