Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom - P990i - can't get it to work!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom - P990i - can't get it to work!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tubaplayer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:56 pm    Post subject: TomTom - P990i - can't get it to work! Reply with quote

Hi all!

I have a TomTom 6 (Europe) DVD, but I can't get it to work with my SE P990i. I know some of you have had success getting it set up on a P990i, so I hope someone can help me.

I have installed TomTom Home, and I did select my phone as my unit (UiQ 3 phone). I had to set the USB setting to File Transfer to get TomTom Home to recognize my phone. If I try to connect it in phone mode I can't get it to show up in TomTom Home.

I tried to use the SE Phone Manager to install TomTom on the phone, using the only sis-file I could find. I also tried to install it using the phone installer. Both times I was told by the installer that the program might not be compatible, and I was asked if I wanted to proceed. I said yes, but the installation aborted (nothing happened).

I also tried to format the memory stick in my card reader, copying all the contents of the "SD-Card Version" folder on the DVD. Same result as when trying to run the installer on the phone. Nothing happens.

Someone said that they found a cab-file that could be unpacked on the memory card, and then used as an installer. Anybody know anything about this?

I'm stuck, and it seems I can't get it to work.. Of course I would try to get support from TomTom support, but as you all know they won't support it until the P990i is listed as a compatible device...

Paal
Tubaplayer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, I have another problem (this might be the biggest problem..)

When I try to use TomTom Home to install maps and vioces on my TomTom device (SE P990i), I get a message saying that I can't use the DVD with TomTom Home... This seems strange to me, as I used the DVD to install TomTom Home!

I select "TomTom CD" in the TomTom Home program, and this message appears (translated from norwegian):
Your TomTom CD can not be used with TomTom Home.

Rolling Eyes
SL33PYH34D
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My copy arrived this morning and it is all working fine.

Here's the procedure I followed:
1. Put phone in USB file transfer mode
2. Launch TomTom Home application (I already had it installed although the DVD just autoruns TomTom Home anyway)
3. TomTom Home asked me to select the device type I had connected - obviously select the UIQ version 3 device option
4. Select the items (application, map(s), voices, postcodes etc.) to install and hit the install button
5. After copying and installation (although it doesn't actually install to the phone as such at this point) remove the phone from the cradle
6. Immediately on opening the flip I was presented with an install dialog asking me to install the TomTom application. (this appears to be the actual application installation on the phone)
7. All installed and working with maps activated

A couple of quirks I have noticed:
1. If you uninstall the app from the phone, TomTom Home appears to be unable to automatically reinstall (you get a message about not being able to uninstall from the DVD), although on removing from the cradle I was again presented with the installation dialog on the phone.
I suspect the only way to do a clean uninstall/reinstall is to remove all the TomTom folders and data manually from the Memory Stick and start from the begining with TomTom Home so that it doesn't detect TomTom as being installed.
2. At install time (on the phone) you are presented with the option of whether you'd like left or right handed use. There appears to be no option to change this after TomTom is installed.

All in all impressed so far. All seems to be working well and my (existing) Plus account for Traffic and cameras works fine too.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: