Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - What new PDA/Phone (replace 4700)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

What new PDA/Phone (replace 4700)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Merlin2005
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much would you want for the broken 4700 as is? I have a 4700 and I would use it for spares.

Merlin 2005
SteveTheLight
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't mind me adding my 10p's worth...
I 'Upgraded' my hx4700 for a Qtek 2020i (Vodafone equiv of O2 XDAIIi) last year. The phone reception is really poor compared with my old Nokia 6600 - to the point where I'm back on my even older 6310i (after giving the 6600 to my wife). I found the Qtek very unreliable, easy to crash, painfully slow and generally frustrating and un-usable. I would need to soft reset at least once a day and hard reset every month. I sent it back twice and both exchange units had the same shortfalls

It would frequently crash without me noticing causing the battery to drain in less than an hour leaving me without a phone, map, address book, diary and customer notes etc until I could get back to my PC. I started to carry (and keep charged) a spare battery with me but that sort of defeats the point of having an 'all in one device'.

On the plus side, it has a great selection of features. Camera, BT, IR, Wlan, GPRS etc. It has a full size PDA screen (QVGA). Unfortunately it does none of them particularly well, especially when compared with the hx4700. I can live without a camera-phone (I prefer my dedicated Minolta anyway), and it's much easier to arrange appointments using calendar and make notes during a phone call with a separate phone and PDA. If the phone has BTmodem and camera then the difference in features is negligible.
AlanK
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erm - not sure, never thought about it but it certainly aint gonna help me out anymore.

Make me an offer?
uitspszw
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I broke my screen on my 4700 and bought "Exec" then "IMate" all were not a patch on 4700. So I bought new screen off e-bay...

Delivery took 7 days, fitting took 1 (Laughing Out Loud) but 4700 is now as good as new... Upgrade to WM5 WOW even better... slower but better...

Now the bad news.... TomTom 6 + 4700 ain't happening... Crying or Very sad Why I hear you ask??? Once installed bluetooth manager doesn't work... downgraded to WM2003 still craps out.... so back to WM5 and TomTom 5 for me...

Might consider HP 6000 for the built in GPS (TomTom 6).. But when will HP release 3G PDA.......

Oh and for the Yanks information the screen is rectangle not square or round...DOH..

and a "High Street" is what we call the town centre shops here in the UK.....

Hope this helps... Steve....
AlanK
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers but its now been replaced with a TT 510 as I cant connect it to work PC anylonger so a lot of the function will be unavailable.... that and it will probably save me from the sack for breaking works IT policy with my own kit...
Xman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

uitspszw wrote:
Now the bad news.... TomTom 6 + 4700 ain't happening... Crying or Very sad Why I hear you ask??? Once installed bluetooth manager doesn't work... downgraded to WM2003 still craps out.... so back to WM5 and TomTom 5 for me... ..

tomtom 6 running fine on my 4700. there is a wm5 patch available I imagine you have installed it?
uitspszw
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patch.... another patch..... please with less mirth, disclose the location of the wonder patch that will fix my tom tom 6 woes.... yours in anticipation .... :o

Seriously... please send link to this patch so that I may successfully install and enjoy TomTom 6.... Laughing

Cheers

Steve......
Xman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

uitspszw wrote:
Patch.... another patch..... please with less mirth, disclose the location of the wonder patch......

With Patch I refered to a rom update for the original 4700 WM5. As you know the original WM5 upgrade made the ipaq very slow and maybe is giving you those BT problems...

The Rom Update is version 2.01 and is available from the Official HP site.

http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/HandheldiPAQ/us/locate/1129_6089.html
uitspszw
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing U DA MAN Laughing Laughing

That worked a treat.... HP only place I didn't look for patches....

TomTom 6
Steve....

EDIT Once Steve, Please DO NOT post instructions detailing installation "fixes" for software that is not legally available as yet - Mike Alder
uitspszw
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work for a distributor of TomTom Software and have had this inhouse for 3 weeks, It worked fine on most of my test PDA's but not on my personal one.

My copy of TomTom 6 is legal........

The fix was posted to help people who might encounter what I encountered.....

Steve....
Fellwalker
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 4700 and love it.

When i was looking hte only thing thqt came close was teh pocket loox 560, with integrated gps.
foxbat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xman wrote:
uitspszw wrote:
Patch.... another patch..... please with less mirth, disclose the location of the wonder patch......

With Patch I refered to a rom update for the original 4700 WM5. As you know the original WM5 upgrade made the ipaq very slow and maybe is giving you those BT problems...

The Rom Update is version 2.01 and is available from the Official HP site.

http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/HandheldiPAQ/us/locate/1129_6089.html

Sorry, but..it is an general opinion that for 4700 wm5 it is not ok .
For other devices it is good but for this one, not
I have 2 devices and I did a lot of test ( one wm2k3 and the other oner wm5 ) - even the patch speed up a little, it is far away form wm5.
On the other hand on the 6915 , wm5 work like a charm
I do not recomend anyone to "upgrade" to wm5 FOR 4700.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: