Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - i3 from Maplin
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

i3 from Maplin
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IanE
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

white_knight wrote:

Hi Ian

This helps to clear up my concerns. Like you I was sure that the advert said that a 256MB transflash card was included. I managed to get a copy of the webpage from my webhistory list and confirmed what the advert said.

Yeah, the screen grab above is from Google's cache.

white_knight wrote:
I was puzzled about the empty slot and nothing loose in the box. I began to wonder that it had fallen out somewhere whilst I was getting used to the device.

When I queried it with Maplin, they said that it came pre-installed. Does that mean pre-installed in the slot? or does it mean that there is sufficient internal memory? Anyway, the advert said it should be there and there is a trades description issue if it hasn't been supplied.

Precisely. I presume Maplin mean the maps are pre-installed.

white_knight wrote:

Don't know how hard to push this one because Maplin have always been ok in the past Confused

Geoff

Well I've bought a memory card now from Scan for les than I would've paid @ Maplin (see above), but it's not the point. Maplin advertised something and then didn't deliver it.

The auto-response email from them said to allow 48hrs for a reply. By Monday it will have been plenty longer than that, so shall escalate then.
[/quote]
ram2048
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

For what it is worth, I have just got my i3 minus the Transflash card.

Had to call Maplin as they did not ship the free Saftey Camera database. Recieved the CD the following day and proceeded to load the DB only to find out that the POI's are from August 2005 Sad and the nternal memory wil not accept all of the 24 POI's ,as I had already stored some other POI's. I did not get a memory full message!, just does not load more that 20 or so POI categories.

Poped out and bought a 256Mb Transflash and with the help threads in this forum, managed to load everyting on the additional memory. Not an easy process as the minimal documentation supplied gives no clue on how to do this.

The Transflash has only 3Mb used, out of the 256Mb available so not sure why this was a problem with the internal memory, unless it has been pre-loaded with locked maps for other regions, which the installation process implies is the case. Thus no space left for user PIO's.

I think I will speak to Maplin about this as the available space on the defualt device will not alow you to even load thier out of date database.

I will let you know the outcome.

Regards, RAM2048.
IanE
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maplin wrote:
Thank you for your enquiry

The early i3 units did have a 128/256 mb card but these were regularly being
lost, as a result Garmin now built the same memory into the unit, the card
is simply no longer necessary but the i3 still has exactly the same
functions.

As expected. I have pointed out to them that their advert clearly stated that there was a card included in the package, and pointed out that the DB as supplied is a] out of date (not a huge issue for the sake of £2) and b] won't fit onto the unit as supplied.

I know this may seem petty, but I don't really feel like letting it drop. It feels as if Maplin have dishonestly acquired my order, so I shall see what they say about putting that right.
Thar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But it doesn't have the same functions as you had to buy additional memory to upload on to it! They should be prepared to refund the cost of the transflash at least.
ram2048
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,

Spoke to Maplin (bless thier hearts), they did try to point out that the memory is built in as people were loosing the Transflash cards.

I pointed out that thier advert on-line had indicated that the Garmin bundle included a 256Mb flash, but was told that was the case with the earlier model, but Garmin had updated the product for the reason givern above.

I explained that the embedded memory will only accept a set amount of POI categories, whereas it appears to be limitless on the Transflash and was advised to speak to Garmin.

I suppose they can argue that the i3 is doing what is advertised, however it will not hold the Saftey Camera database supplied free of charged unless you treat yourself to an additional Transflash memeory.

Perhaps Garmin will release a firmware update that will alow the user to manage the POI more effectively.

Just a thought Idea how do we know what the size of the built in memory is? I have not seen a way of interigating the memory.

Does anybody know who much memory was consumed by the base system on the older devices Question

Not sure that I can be bothered speaking to Garmin.

Regards, RAM2048.
IanE
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ram2048 wrote:

I explained that the embedded memory will only accept a set amount of POI categories, whereas it appears to be limitless on the Transflash and was advised to speak to Garmin.

As I understand it, the only restriction on the number of POIs you can load is the free space. There would be more space on an additional card, therefore you can load more POIs...
mk_graham
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ram2048 wrote:
...Not sure that I can be bothered speaking to Garmin.

Others have found Garmin to be very helpful Thumbs Up
---
TomTom Go 720 WE Maps (for sale)
---
iPhone with Sygic Mobile Maps (Europe) - having problems
zzf00l
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whether it needs a mem card or not... you are entitled to have one... you may even wish not to use it in your Sat Nav but in your camera etc, it would have been yours to do with as you pleased!!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: