Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Mio 510 / 710
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Mio 510 / 710
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:25 am    Post subject: Mio 510 / 710 Reply with quote

I'm trying to get the camera database working on my Mio 710, and have had some success.
What I have done is to write a program that reads the ASC files and converts them into the Mio file format.
So far I'm able to replace the built-in camera file with an imported one, showing the correct locations. At the moment all types of camera are shown the same, and no camera directions or speed limits are shown. I need to understand more about the Mio files, and I'm still working on it.
What I need to know is:
- Am I wasting my time - is anyone else ahead of me on this?
- Assuming I can get the program working properly, what's the best way of allowing other people to use it? Naturally I can't distribute copies of the data file, and I don't want to host the conversion program.

I have limited time to spend on this so it will be a while before anything is available. Any advice please?

Sal
CeeJay
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sallyann.
I don't think you're wasting your time. I for one would certainly use a utiility like this.
I'm finding the Mio database woefully out of date.
I have found 4 cameras that are not on it, (all older than 2 years), all within 4 miles of my house and one they said was there and has been removed.
Never had this problem with PGPS database.
Obviously my main concern would be when driving in an unfamiliar area, you need the data to be accurate and IMO PGPS does a pretty good job.
Sorry I'm not computer savvy enough to help with any of the other stuff.
Keep up the good work. Thumbs Up

CeeJay.
phulatt
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sallyann

I would use this aswell.

If needed, I could host the app for you once finished. I am also a developer, if you would like some help send me a PM.

Paul
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phulatt wrote:
Hi Sallyann

I would use this aswell.

If needed, I could host the app for you once finished. I am also a developer, if you would like some help send me a PM.

Paul

Thanks Paul. I hope to put some time in over the weekend.

Sal
Simebaby
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sallyann

Another who'd be very interested in this - I too work in software development, so if you need any help I'd certainly try my best.

Out of interest, how did you get the camera database off the Mio - via Bluetooth? (Doesn't work for me ATM, I'm only running v1.1 on the PC - need to upgrade to v2). Have you unlocked the Mio as per the instructions on gpspassion?

Thanks & good luck!

Si.
Simebaby
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to say - I have the C510, not the C710 - don't know if this makes any difference re: file transfers (the 510 does not show as a removable drive / mass storage device).
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Initially I had trouble getting bluetooth to work, and was advised to get a bluetooth 2.0 dongle with Bluesoleil software which does the trick. It's not necessary to unlock the device to get at the cameras file, but I have done so because then you can run a file manager on the device itself which makes it much easier to play with its files.
As I understand it the 510 and 710 are very similar at the mapping level.
I have written a utility to list out all the cameras in the POI file, which is useful in seeing how up to date (or otherwise) it is. The next step is to create a replacement file with the PGPS data, and I have this working in a very limited way. There are of course copyright issues with both sets of data, and I have no intention of misusing it.

Sal
Simebaby
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sal

Just reading your other posts, I noticed you got your BT dongle from Maplins - do you know the brand name? I popped in Maplins on my way home from work yesterday, and they only had 1 v2 dongle in store (can't remember the brand name myself!), which came with a driver CD but didn't mention BlueSoleil.

Thanks

Si.
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maplin stock number A71FF

Sal
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phulatt, Simebaby

you have PM's

Sal
ravi
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

me want camera database too.
me want heap big poi list too.

ravi
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been continuing with the project to see if the PGPSW camera database can be used in place of the one supplied with the Mio.
It might be of interest to note that there are 5601 cameras which appear at exactly the same location in both lists. There are 4226 that appear in PGPSW but not in Mio, and 4249 that are in Mio but not in PGPSW. A few of these differences are due to the same camera being shown in a slightly different location, but in the great majority of cases the camera doesn't appear at all in the other list.
Having used the Mio 'sync' facility a number of times it appears that when you use this, your own personally added camera records are sent to Mio, which if correct means that they have built-in a nice way of collecting their information for free.
Another point I'd like to ask them is what happens after the 12-month free update period if we can't use another database.
I would like to discuss these and other points with Mio, but since they don't answer my emails and their 'support' line is premium-rate, that doesn't seem possible.

Sal
paulr99
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:47 pm    Post subject: c510 etc databases Reply with quote

Hi Sallyann

I'd definitely be interested in the results (when I get my "toy"!) which should be early next month.

I'm not too worried about synching with Mio sending any cams I add, because no doubt I'll get other people's additions too.

Once I start, I'll probably buy the PGPSW one on a one-off, then after the year with Mio subscribe to keep things updated - we'll probably have it sussed well before then!!

Paul
DeeJay01
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Mio 510 / 710 Reply with quote

Sallyann wrote:
I'm trying to get the camera database working on my Mio 710, and have had some success.
What I have done is to write a program that reads the ASC files and converts them into the Mio file format.
So far I'm able to replace the built-in camera file with an imported one, showing the correct locations. At the moment all types of camera are shown the same, and no camera directions or speed limits are shown. I need to understand more about the Mio files, and I'm still working on it.
What I need to know is:
- Am I wasting my time - is anyone else ahead of me on this?
- Assuming I can get the program working properly, what's the best way of allowing other people to use it? Naturally I can't distribute copies of the data file, and I don't want to host the conversion program.

I have limited time to spend on this so it will be a while before anything is available. Any advice please?

Sal

Sallyann,
This is the nest news I've heard about the MIO C710. I have not been satisfied with the so called free camera database supplied by Mio. It would definately not be a waste of time to proceed with this development.
I have tried to complain to Mio tech support on many occasions but I have never been able to get through to them.
Please continue to do this so that I can get rid of the worthless Mio Sync update software.
rronaldson
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having just bought a C510e I'd be interested in a better camera database as well. A question about BT as this was mentioned; I have a BT-USB adaptor which I haven't got installed on my PC. If I can get it working would this enable me to see the files on my Mio?

Reg

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: