Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Problems with loading v6.15 on a GO Classic.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Problems with loading v6.15 on a GO Classic.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DocL
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:56 pm    Post subject: Problems with loading v6.15 on a GO Classic. Reply with quote

I have waited until this third version of v6.xx firmware, before attempting to load it on my old (~2ys) Classic, and only tried it last night because two pals with similar models had eventually succeeded, after minor glitches.

What a mistake; it was the 13th!!

So using HOME, instead of the usual windows PC way, I made a new backup of my 1yr-old 512mb SD card with the upgraded GB Plus and Italia maps on, in HOME. These have worked faultlessly under version 5.0x.

Then I went through the HOME procedure of loading up the updated firmware.

When this had been completed, I thought I'd have a go at 'MY GO' {button, top right} to get the GO screen up on the computer. Loaded the additional bit of software to do this and up came the GO screen on the computer.

Carried out the languages screen etc. and then came to the activation screen. Put in the activation code which Tomtom had e-mailed me in June 2005 for the map upgrade (original one had never worked) and got activation failed! Tried the original code, same thing.

So I closed down Home and removed the GO from the computer USB.

The usual set of screens and the running progress bar chuntered away and then the Tomtom 2 Red Hands Splash Screen came on, . . . . and stayed on, and on etc. The whole thing 'froze' and it would not turn off.

Sent a query to Tomtom explaining the above and it's presently 'unresolved'.

So I let the battery discharge overnight and this morning it was off. I put the old, original GB map SD card in, and placed the GO on the car mount. It charged up, switched on & asked, about languages and preferences etc. and seems to be working OK, albeit without the new map or my current POI's and Favourites.

I looked at the 'version' screen and it says v5.00

So does anybody know, pleease;

a) where any new firmware resides, on the chip in the GO, on the SD card or a combination of both? I have 4 SD cards with different maps but any firmware upgrade has worked with all maps, whether in the GO at upgrading time or not.
So given that the version screen now says 5.00 with the original GO GB map which I haven't used for yonks, I presume it's on the GO chip; yes, no?

b) WHAT I SHOULD TRY NEXT? in the absence of any info from Tomtom!

Thanks for your deliberations; wish I'd waited for the next version 6.xx now!!
Eldar
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

using HOME delete the application from the SD card and re-install the version 6.15. If that fails, copy the content of your SD card again to your computer in the "usual windows PC way", re-format the card, copy back the map folders, again in the "usual windows PC way" and then install the application using HOME.
DocL
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eldar wrote:
using HOME delete the application from the SD card and re-install the version 6.15. If that fails, copy the content of your SD card again to your computer in the "usual windows PC way", re-format the card, copy back the map folders, again in the "usual windows PC way" and then install the application using HOME.

Ah there's a problem I forgot to mention. When I reconnected the 'frozen' TTGO to the computer, it couldn't recognise it; the usb led on the hub wouldn't come on so couldn't access the SD card via HOME and the computer!

So can you access the SD card via HOME using a card reader?

I'll go and have a look, or just do it all the old PC Windows way.

I do not fancy putting the corrupted SD card back in the tomtom just to have it freeze up on me again. Certainly not before tomtom have replied.

BTW put in my usual 1gb card with most of Europe on, and it works fine, . . . but version 5.100 still.

So has every SD card got to have the updated firmware put on individually?? Or having done it on one card (successfully) does tomtom then re-configure subsequently loaded cards??

Personally I can't see that even v6.15 is glitch-free.
thebinman
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="DocLSo has every SD card got to have the updated firmware put on individually?? Or having done it on one card (successfully) does tomtom then re-configure subsequently loaded cards??

Personally I can't see that even v6.15 is glitch-free.[/quote]

Yes, each SD card needs to be updated to latest version.
Apart from the first time you do this the unit gets an upgraded boot-loader, everything else is done on the cards themselves.
Eldar
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DocL wrote:

Ah there's a problem I forgot to mention. When I reconnected the 'frozen' TTGO to the computer, it couldn't recognise it; the usb led on the hub wouldn't come on so couldn't access the SD card via HOME and the computer!

Obviously, if you have a frozen unit it won't connect to anything. Reset the unit, plug in the USB cable, switch the unit on.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: